Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Half-Elves in Evermeet.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are half-elves allowed to dwell in Evermeet or Evereska? I have read conflicting novels on the subject in one of Elaine Cunningham's books it was said no half-elves were allowed to dwell there but in the Last Mythal trilogy there is half-elf living in the protagonist's Mage tower.
I would like your opinions on this for a character background I am currently writing.

Thanks In Advance

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Edited by - Bladedancer on 01 Jun 2006 21:43:37

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:40:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even humans, well trusted, are premitted in Evermeet. I do not see any problem with a half-elf being permitted if not considered a true elf, certainly could earn the title elf-friend.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nightbreeze
Acolyte

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they can, but the queen doesn't like them very much ( or she didn't, now she is able to grudgingly respect some of them)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:59:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its more of a case by case basis. Evermeet is the bastion of the elven races, and unless banned, any non-drow is going to be welcomed there if they seek refuge from the outside world. On the other hand, half-elves are not accorded automatic sanctuary, and are more or less treated like humans in this regard . . . if there is a REALLY good reason and you have a REALLY good reputation and you prove yourself to be an elf-friend on top of being a half-elf, you might be allowed in. But in a way its more along the lines of being allowed in IN SPITE of being a half-elf.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  01:18:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know a lot of elves have become comfortable living with humans. And we also know that those who haven't have largely moved elsewhere (Evermeet for example, or elsewhere in the Realms).

So, as it is... I would imagine some elves are content enough with half-elves to co-exist in places across the Realms with them, but generally will not tolerate their presence in places where elves live exclusively -- away from anything even remotely human (I would assume half-elves fall into this category for many elves).

The Elves of Evermeet sourcebook expands a little on what races can be allowed to visit the Green Island, and why.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  01:32:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

We know a lot of elves have become comfortable living with humans. And we also know that those who haven't have largely moved elsewhere (Evermeet for example, or elsewhere in the Realms).

So, as it is... I would imagine some elves are content enough with half-elves to co-exist in places across the Realms with them, but generally will not tolerate their presence in places where elves live exclusively -- away from anything even remotely human (I would assume half-elves fall into this category for many elves).

The Elves of Evermeet sourcebook expands a little on what races can be allowed to visit the Green Island, and why.

Centaurs
Dyards
Fauns
Faerie Dragons
Lythari
Nixies
Nymphs
Pegasi
Pixies
Sprites
Treants
Unicorns

Of course not counting any Sha'Quessir which in theory can be any race, but hard to earn

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  02:04:36  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be mistaken, but I do believe a 1/2 elven mage resided in the tower... ah I am not mistaken.

small spoiler below

The 1/2 Elven battle mage Jorildyn, is one of Arevin's collegues at the Tower Reilloch, in the last mythal trilogy
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think for humans and even half-elves to dwell on Evermeet, they would need special permission by the Queen of Evermeet like how Laeral can move in and out of the island at her whim and Dove's son raised on Evermeet and later secretly returned back to the mainland.

Humans like Laeral and her child are tolerated grudgingly at least by the inhabitants, not that Laeral is a Chosen, but rather they grudgingly comply with the Queen orders to let her be, but humans on the island would do well to avoid sun elves especially the sun elf nobles, sun elves tend to hold a lot of outrageous comments and racist attitude toward humans, worst towards half-elves. Who knows what a sun elf will do when he sees a human walking around on the island. Murder would be likely the first option being considered in the mind of the sun elf.

Even for half-elves like the Last Mythal Jorildyn, he is tolerated grudgingly as he had his usefulness to the island defence, but I am sure he had to watch every direction of his surroundings to avoid reprisals and racist elves. I am certain that half-elven mage never visited any of the cities of Evermeet other than his own residence in the Tower.

For a non-elf to dwell on the island, it is not reputation be it a hotshot reputation like elf-friend(for an elf can choose to deny it even it is a fact and the words aren't written for all elves to see) or a Chosen of some allied non-elven deity of the Seldarine. I think it takes special permission by the Queen and the island Council for any non-elf(not part of the sylvan or elven races or what Kentinal mentioned) to enter the island, even so, the non-elven visitor would do wise to watch every direction he is going on that island.

Envoys from foreign empires/kingdoms may be permitted(since Amlaruil also sent diplomats secretly to other kingdoms) provided they are of powerful military might with tremendous arcane and other resources backing them(at least more powerful than the or equivalent of the island military, then would the elves of Evermeet consider allowing non-elven envoys into the island. Otherwise, they hold their standoffish attitude.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  09:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reponses folks. They have helped alot.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000