Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Soulknife mind shield
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  00:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it bad when you're not sure whether or not you dreamed up a specific game mechanic?

I thought that I read, somewhere, that a soulknife could, instead of manifesting a second mind blade, create a shield in their off hand. But now I can't find it anywhere, and I'm starting to wonder if my sleep-deprived brain is playing tricks on me.

Can anyone help? Does this rule actually exist, and if so, where?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  04:25:49  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found feats, refering to mind-weapons, but not shields. I am still learning about all this Psionics stuff though, so I could have missed something.

Edited by - scererar on 27 May 2006 04:27:43
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  08:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have my book with me but the 3.0 Soulknife in the psionics book was quite different to the 3.5 one, it may have been in there
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  12:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall anything about Soulknives manifesting shields in 3.0 - and I play one with 3.0 edition rules

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  15:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, after tearing my library apart, I found it. And I realized why no one here knows it: it's a feat from Races of Eberron. Whew! I'm not insane!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  19:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Well, after tearing my library apart, I found it. And I realized why no one here knows it: it's a feat from Races of Eberron. Whew! I'm not insane!

Hopefully you are not going to use that Eber-whatsit feat with a FR character

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  19:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Had to be in the one source I didn't check.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  19:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Had to be in the one source I didn't check.

Hey, don't blame yourself, Arivia - it's an Eber-whatsit book, and don't we use those for toilet tissue only

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  00:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's a racial feat for a race unique to Eberron. I'm grabbing it, making it universal, and plunking it into the Realms. So, consider it Unther if you like.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  00:42:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, while I'm not too keen on running the setting as a DM, I have found quite a bit in the setting that I have been slowly mining for the FR campaigns. Spells, feats, etc.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  02:41:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Actually, while I'm not too keen on running the setting as a DM, I have found quite a bit in the setting that I have been slowly mining for the FR campaigns. Spells, feats, etc.

Which is interesting... the other day I was reading through my Eberron stuff and found a couple of references stating the same, to include an encouragment for adding warforged to regular D&D campaigns. A little over the top for the realms, in my opinion though. However, I am interested in the feat that is being discussed here, and think that I will use it when applicable. I have started my first Psionic character
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  03:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I have brought the warforged to the Realms... my players just haven't found them yet. Instead of being part of the Last War, I had them be created during the very end of the Crown Wars by the Vyshaan, and they fled deep into the Underdark when the war ended. They've stayed there ever since, and have withdrawn from the wider world. I actually had a bunch of fun reworking the race and creating a history for them... I'm now hoping my players make it deep into the Lowerdark at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, it's a racial feat for a race unique to Eberron. I'm grabbing it, making it universal, and plunking it into the Realms. So, consider it Unther if you like.

You are seriously considering to grab an Eber-whatsit feat, and bring to soil your FR campaign? I am shocked!

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  23:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, I'm not considering... That's done already. I've pulled it in. But since FR seems to be like the English language, and the field of book binding (we'll steal [words/tools and techniques] from anywhere), I don't see a problem. But then, I've never had a problem mining other setting for material.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  00:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah, I'm not considering... That's done already. I've pulled it in. But since FR seems to be like the English language, and the field of book binding (we'll steal [words/tools and techniques] from anywhere), I don't see a problem. But then, I've never had a problem mining other setting for material.

Any other setting I would understand, but an Eber-whatsit feat... and warforged to boot!

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A soulknife creating a mind shield just makes sense. Surprised the idea wasn't introduced in the core.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  04:52:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

You are seriously considering to grab an Eber-whatsit feat, and bring to soil your FR campaign? I am shocked!

seriously man, grabbing a feat here or another idea from there makes sense. we all know what you think of Eberron my friend. really if you look back at the realms over the years, all sorts of ideas have intermingled and become canon in various settings.

Edited by - scererar on 31 May 2006 14:59:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000