Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dungeon Mastering for Dummies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  06:53:36  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Many of you are most likely aware of the book released last year titled “Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies”

Well, this year, the follow up book, “Dungeon Mastering for Dummies” has been released.
After a year of suggesting the first book to people, I finally ordered it along with the follow up. If I suggest it, I really should know whats in it. :)

I also want to point out, that candlekeep has a mention in “Dungeon Mastering for Dummies”.
I haven't read all that much, but I noticed it while thumbing through it.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  07:27:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? Rock.

Wonder if Alaundo knew that?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  07:42:33  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was in the section on finding DM on the web, it (as I do not know which of the two authors were responsible for that section) spoke highly of the amount of ralms lore that can be found on this site, I'd have to get the book to see what was said exactly.
Rhe URL for candlekeep was givin.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  07:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Really? Rock.

Wonder if Alaundo knew that?

Well met

Not at all! This is quite a surprise A pleasant surprise, at that I'll certainly try and seek this tome out to take a look.

Thank ye for bringing this to our attention, AlacLuin.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  11:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having GMed for more than half my life this book is about 20 years too late...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  17:12:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

It was in the section on finding DM on the web, it (as I do not know which of the two authors were responsible for that section) spoke highly of the amount of ralms lore that can be found on this site, I'd have to get the book to see what was said exactly.

Cool. I was pondering grabbing this just for the hells of it and I have a feeling Rich included the link, since he has threads here and for various other reasons. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  01:20:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Neato .

This is bound to effect registrations here at Candlekeep, so we might want to expect a slight increase in new scribes coming to these halls.

I'll be picking up a copy of this... and I'm not ashamed to say it will mostly be because of the Candlekeep reference .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  02:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is available, heres one:
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1809275&cid=64664&fp=F

Amazon have it too but should be at fairly the same price.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  08:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll be picking up a copy of this... and I'm not ashamed to say it will mostly be because of the Candlekeep reference .

Well met

Aye, ditto. SOLD! to the bearded man in the robe holding a staff

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  09:38:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or in my case... a lightsaber!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  01:01:30  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's only a paragrah in a 390 or so page book, but...
The reference to candlekeep itself is on page 190.

The book itself looks good.
It holds many reminders for old time DMs and explains things to new DMs.
I still haven't read much of it, but it definitly feels "rules light" and focuses more on a DM's function which remain constant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000