Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Ruin: Chapters 12 - 13 and Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  00:10:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is, in some ways I almost felt sorry for Sammaster, if only because he seemed to be so underconfident, even after getting to this point in his plan. Makes you wonder if he ever felt worthy of the power that he had, or if he always felt like he was a pretender that was going to be "found out." That seems to play well into his madness following attaining his Chosen status, and his extreem actions when he felt his affections were spurned.

I was glad to see another Faerie Dragon in Realms novels again. Don't know why, but he was pretty fun, and it hearkened back to the good old days (i.e. the FIRST Realms books). I liked how the characters in the party played off one another (and I really liked RLB's story in Dragon about how Raryn and Dorn hooked up to begin with).

RF, what did you think of Pavel's sacrifice? I really liked Pavel, but I thought it was perfect, and it was so in character for him. Call me sick, but I like it once in a while when good wins, but pays dearly for it.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  06:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you liked it, Rin.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  19:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*grins*

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
RF, what did you think of Pavel's sacrifice? I really liked Pavel, but I thought it was perfect, and it was so in character for him. Call me sick, but I like it once in a while when good wins, but pays dearly for it.

I agree with you on that--it was both a sad and fitting end for Pavel. That scene was pretty much perfect, I think. I also almost cried when Havarlan died.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Dec 2006 19:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  11:58:42  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I loved Jivex (the cute fairy dragon) and I have to say, I really liked Raryn.

I agree, they are really fun characters. Jivex with his confidence, Raryn, I've never seen that kind of dwarf before. Taegan with his contept for avariels . I liked Brimstone, no matter how evil he is.

BTW I've noticed that Brimstone is CR 33, isn't that too high, Kara is CR 13 on the DoF list

Go to Top of Page

Danubus36
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  18:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Danubus36's Homepage Send Danubus36 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved the series, Richard. Im friends with Coach here on the forums and we run a Tiamat/CoTD thing for a NWN community called ALFA. It was great to see all the action, information, and end of Sammaster.

Look forward to your next novel. Your a wonderful writer. Do something about Tiamat

ADM of Cold Lands server-ALFA
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Danubus.
I'd enjoy doing something "about" Tiamat, or at least involving Tiamat. But if it happens at all, it probaby won't be until after my current FR trilogy wraps up. And since Book One doesn't even come out until next year, that'll be a while.
Go to Top of Page

Danubus36
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Danubus36's Homepage Send Danubus36 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard. If you ever did do a Tiamat inspired book(s) it would be great to see more about the Church and its dealings in Faerun not just in Unther. After the Rage the Church of Tiamat recovered over half the dragon eggs that fell from the sky and are currently trying to put the screws to the CoTD. I'd love to see more of what happened after the Rage with this.

Little is known about the Church outside of Unther and I know a lot of us tiamatins would enjoy knowing more about the Church and its daily operations and such. (yup I have Dragons of Faerun)

ADM of Cold Lands server-ALFA

Edited by - Danubus36 on 29 Dec 2006 18:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  08:54:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, Richard, but I honestly cannot bring myself to like the main protagonist. He's just too difficult to believe, let alone like. But thankfully, it didn't totally hinder my enjoyment with the book. Good plot, well developed villains, and excellently described settings.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  13:04:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I am still "alive" and well.

About half way through 'The Ruin'.

Really good stuff.

Teagan and Jivex are my faves, yet I am enjoying the banter between Pavel and Will.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  12:42:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I still find it difficult to make myself believe that none of the band of heroes died despite the fact that they're fighting DRAGONS, mad dragons. Well, at the very least, I enjoyed reading this book.

And Brimstone, finally, you get to know the dragon of your namesake! I recommend you also read The Captive Flame: Book One of the Brotherhood of the Griffon as Brimstone made a comeback there, albeit he had little 'stage time' compared to this trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  04:06:55  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am always a little wary when I pickup one of these “ And ooooooh, it’s going to be a Trilogy!” ventures. A lot of times trilogies tend to resemble backpacking trips where inevitably the reader is going to suffer a bit of poison ivy, some miles of nowhere, and the like in order to get to some really great summits.

Oh but, not here. I thought this was just fantastic! By far this trilogy is my favorite fantasy story… period. What I enjoyed about this was the multiple layers that it possessed. On one level, regardless of my favorable bias of the Realms, that this is just a great yarn on it’s own. Then there’s the level that was the author’s personal fleshing out of the Realms, which fed into my favorable bias of the Realms. The kind of nook and cranny stuff that is my bedrock of what I enjoy about the Realms. Then there’s the “get ya in the old DM bones” level, where the great banter & story about the pages is the kind of great banter & story I have enjoyed hearing between players around the game table. And that hits upon my last ray of sunshine that I putting here…

Of all the Realms novels I would say that this struck me as the story that most felt like it was featuring Players Characters rather than NPC’s. And that includes how it was left with Iyraclea. During my reread I actually sat up, and thought, “Wow, this guy (Richard) doesn’t fudge the die rolls at all.” And then I seriously wondered if maybe, just maybe, Richard does occasionally use the ol’ 20 sided while he’s writing. And how cool would that be?

So I am a fan. And thank you very much for the journey!

Side note. Pavel is my favorite (especially in regards to his relationship with Will), so if there is ever an opportunity for a little prequel material, I have my boots ready.

P.S. I read the other postings, and may have gone the furthest on the admiration scale. So for the record: I am not a relation of Mr. Byers, nor do I owe him money.

*Goes to acquire the rest of Richard’s works*

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  04:20:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

*Goes to acquire the rest of Richard’s works*

I highly recommend his Haunted Lands trilogy. It is as multi-layered as The Year of Rogue Dragons.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000