Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Does FR have a set of core novels...?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Effect
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  16:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Effect's Homepage Send Effect a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading http://www.dl3e.com/products/list.aspx and noticed and liked how the Dragonlance Setting was divided up into different ages and how there seemed to be core novels for those ages with a large list of supplemental novels. That everyone has the same foundation and then can check out other titles in that era.

Does the Forgotten Realms have anything similar to this? A set of core novels or core authors that set the tone for an era or section of the timeline and other books that tend to spin out from there?

Or is FR more location based in that you can always expect certain authors to write about certain locations. In that stories tend to be seperated by that? In that you can read a certain novel by a certain author in which he or she explores a certain area for the first time and anything done after that in that area builds up on that first book? For same someoen does Waterdeep for the first time or the areas around there. That book could be considered the "core" book for that area and everything else could be "supplemental" in a way that it expands and explores that location further?

Hope I'm getting that thought across correctly. Was kinda hard to form that into a question.

I'm mainly reading the Eberron set of novels and in that everything basiclly spans out the Last War event. So I could see there being another event in the future and you could then classify novels as being Post-Last War or Pre-New Event or Post-New Event, etc. Similar to how the Dragonlance books are setup. So was wondering if there was an easier way of seperating the Forgotten Realms novels.

I was told about a PDF file that breaks down the FR, timeline wise. Still working through it since it's a LOT of information so don't know if my question is answer there or not.

Thanks.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  17:04:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is not any such books that I would consider core, FR is so diverse to achieve such a list. Some books are considered best for an overview, how to learn the realms quickly with minimun purchases. Some time back there was a thread about the best reading list, and IIRC opinions varied.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  17:12:28  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Wizards reccommends that ppl read the Sembia series if you are unfamiliar with the setting.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  17:30:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragonlance setting is different because it's more inclined towards singular, sweeping events, happening one at a time and in sequence. The Cataclysm. The Dwarfgate War. The War of the Lance. The Second Cataclysm. Etc. One big event, and everything spins off of that until the next big event.

The Realms, on the other hand, is a setting where there are always a thousand plots in motion. One corner of the Realms may have some turmoil going on, but in another corner, the most interesting tale is about a man seeking vengeance for his wife's murder.... Months later, the Realms shake with the fury of another event, but while that one is happening, a group in this other area is simply trying to find a way to end a companion's curse...

In other words, there are always things happening in the Realms, big or small. Though there are larger events, such as the Time of Troubles, which effect everything, there's many other stories that are smaller in scale but no less entertaining or interesting.

Some authors have stuck to particular corners of the Realms, but others tell stories wherever they find them. Other than a few examples, there's no real novels that I'd say form a core around which other novels are built.

I would like to recommend a thread that may be of assistance to you: Experienced help for recommending FR Novels. It's a work in progress, and so it's not definitive, but it may help you to decide which novels you want to read first.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  00:47:25  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I would recommend using the guidelines at the bottom of my Forgotten Realms checklist..

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

However our great librarian has yet to upload the most recent edition so it's a little behind. However, the "essential reading" according to me remains the same with 2 new additons at the end of the list.

I'd be happy to drop you an email with the most update version if you'd like.

Ahhh how I missed pimping out my list.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 22 Apr 2006 00:48:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000