Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Where to place the Moonshae Trilogy in relation..?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Effect
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Effect's Homepage Send Effect a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There seems to be some downtime between when the next Eberron novel comes (finishing up Tales of the Last War at the moment) out so I figured I'd start reading Forgotten Realms novels. Having only read Icewind Dale, Dark Elf Trilogy, and tried working my way through the Cleric Quintet, and reading Thousand Swords I figured I'd give Drizzt and friends a break. There is more to the FR then that group right? :)

Anyway I picked up Darkwalker on Moonshae, book one in the Moonshae Trilogy. It stating it was the first novel to be released in the FR setting was the main draw. Though even though it's the first book not sure where it sits.

Most of my knowledge of the FR setting comes from the Drizzt novels, Neverwinter Nights and Demon Stone game and what I remember of the Baulder's Gate 2 game (which isn't much). Haven't read the FR setting book the way I have the Eberron setting (so I'm pretty okay in that setting since there is a major starting point, year wise where everything has spun out of so far).

In relation to the FR novels and games I've listed, where does the Moonshae trilogy fit?

Or is the story set in such a way, in such a remote place or isolated place in the FR that it could fit at any time?

Thanks.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:52:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshaes Trilogy starts out about five years after Drizzt came to the surface in Sojourn, about six years before the events of Icewind Dale. There are 25 years between the Moonshaes Trilogy and the Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and the events of Baldur's Gate takes place 23 years after Darkwalker on Moonshae.

The second Moonshae Trilogy, the Druidhome Trilogy, ties much more into the greater Realms than the first book. That having been said, the second and third book of the original Moonshaes trilogy tie in more to the Realms than Darkwalker on Moonshae does.

This link will take you to an absolutely awesome FR timeline compiled by one of our Forum members here, who did just an absolutely great job on this:

http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/A%20Grand%20History%20of%20the%20Realms.pdf

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 21 Apr 2006 05:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  05:05:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get some actual dates.

Darkwalker takes place in 1345.
Black Wizards and Darkwell in 1346.

The second trilogy takes place in 1365.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Effect
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Effect's Homepage Send Effect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great collection of information. Thanks. This really should clear up some problems I was having.

One more quesiton. The second Moonshae trilogy, does that follow the same characters form the first or children of the first trilogy characaters due to the time that has pasted or a combination of both?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Effect

That's a great collection of information. Thanks. This really should clear up some problems I was having.

One more quesiton. The second Moonshae trilogy, does that follow the same characters form the first or children of the first trilogy characaters due to the time that has pasted or a combination of both?

A combination of both, though the main characters are the second generation.

This is a good series to pick up to get a feel for the Realms. It's one of the core canonical pieces, and there's a strong Arthurian Legend (particularly, druids vs. new gods) element to it.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000