Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The year of risen elf kin?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  23:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

What is known in canon as of now, about the year of risen elf kin, say the top five most important events for that year. Of particular interest would be any information related to Waterdeep.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:11:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm are we even in that year yet? I thought it was 1374 still.... not 1375.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:57:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're not there yet, but soon will be. Waterdeep you say ...? Interesting ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  01:22:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... we're still in the "mid-to-late" period of 1374 DR. Rich confirmed it (yet again) on WotC just the other day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firhyanda

Greetings

What is known in canon as of now, about the year of risen elf kin, say the top five most important events for that year. Of particular interest would be any information related to Waterdeep.

What are the five important events? Is it stated on the Wizards FR homepage?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:20:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Greetings

Uh? None of us can answer this, since that year hasn't even started, as three of us said above. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:30:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Top Five Events of the Year of Risen Elfkin

5. Elaith Craulnobur walks past a mirror, sees the haircut he has had since 1373 DR, and wreaks
terrible vengence upon the hair dressers of Waterdeep.

4. Queen Amlaruil decides to go back to her natural hair color, but cannot remember what it is.

3. Avariels solve their low birthrate problem by abandoning their eagle-like mating practices.

2. Kymil Nimesin receives his just rewards as the Lady Penitant decides that he is "cute."

. . . and the number one event that takes place during the Year of Risen Elfkin . . .

1. The new elven subrace of Ke'blar enter Faerun through a portal from the realm of Bhaakaree.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:31:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Top Five Events of the Year of Risen Elfkin

5. Elaith Craulnobur walks past a mirror, sees the haircut he has had since 1373 DR, and wreaks
terrible vengence upon the hair dressers of Waterdeep.

4. Queen Amlaruil decides to go back to her natural hair color, but cannot remember what it is.

3. Avariels solve their low birthrate problem by abandoning their eagle-like mating practices.

2. Kymil Nimesin receives his just rewards as the Lady Penitant decides that he is "cute."

. . . and the number one event that takes place during the Year of Risen Elfkin . . .

1. The new elven subrace of Ke'blar enter Faerun through a portal from the realm of Bhaakaree.

HHEHEH. :)

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For event 2-5, they seemed quite unrealistic and yet funny enough.

For event 1, it seemed almost like the truth.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  04:30:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Except of course it'll likely prompt discussions from posters about how another elven sub-race has been brought "into the fore" so to speak .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  04:33:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Greetings

As Kuje said... we don't have any lore or fiction to base any details about events for 1375 DR as yet. The most we can hope for at this early stage... are tidbits for expansion put down in future FR sourcebooks "that may hint" at things to come in the new year.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  01:39:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

We're not there yet, but soon will be. Waterdeep you say ...? Interesting ...

-- George Krashos

Thou art sworn to secrecy, boy!

<Khelben thumps George with the reconstituted Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings, then notices he's being watched, hides it quickly behind his back, and whistles innocently>

PS: No, the Scepter isn't reconstituted.....but wouldn't it be just like Khelben to set up a scenario where everyone thought it was destroyed, just so they'd stop looking for it to claim.......?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  08:24:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told Mr Schend, given I only saw your initial scribings for "Blackstaff", I'm sure I'll be as surprised as the next guy when it comes out. Definitely my most anticipated novel purchase for the year (sorry Ed!).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  08:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Im currently setting up a campaign in Waterdeep I hope Steven doesnt invalidate any of the material from city of splendors with Blackstaff!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  17:33:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaith Craulnobur walks past a mirror, sees the haircut he has had since 1373 DR, and wreaks terrible vengence upon the hair dressers of Waterdeep.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  17:48:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as going with fantasy for "year of risen elf kin" the earyh elements united and reject are Drow from the underdark, because they are a disruptive force. *wink* rising then to the surface of course. This of course would a a RSE and clearly will not occur.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  22:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As Im currently setting up a campaign in Waterdeep I hope Steven doesnt invalidate any of the material from city of splendors with Blackstaff!

No worries on that account, Dargoth. All in COS will remain, though the secrets behind closed doors may shift a bit.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:22:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, George, don't forget you'll get to see Khelben (however briefly) in Ed's SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, too . . .
Oh, AND Blackstaff Tower and a few apprentices and ex-apprentices.
Not that I've READ it, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:27:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a tease, THO is.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:40:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't get too much Khelben, to my way of thinking . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:49:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ah, George, don't forget you'll get to see Khelben (however briefly) in Ed's SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, too . . .
Oh, AND Blackstaff Tower and a few apprentices and ex-apprentices.
Not that I've READ it, of course.
love,
THO

I had to come in here and read this part of the scroll didn't I?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  02:27:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's comments like that which make me realise how cruel some of my own teases are! Okay, I'm looking forward to SoE just as much - even though my wallet won't: it'll cost me about AU$50 for the hardcover.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  02:39:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I don't think I can get a discount for this one unfortunately... so I'll be paying $50AUS for an FR hardcover for the first time in several years...

But it'll be worth it I'm sure .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  04:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And I don't think I can get a discount for this one unfortunately... so I'll be paying $50AUS for an FR hardcover for the first time in several years...

But it'll be worth it I'm sure .

Amazon is your friend, you'll get it for around 30-35 AUD

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  06:49:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Amazon may be my friend, but my local Hobby Store is practically the only one in Adelaide - si I support it when and how I can. If this one bites the dust, then I won't be getting RPG stuff anywhere but online or interstate.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  07:04:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty much the same for me as well. If my purchase of the hardcover SoE keeps the doors of my local hobby store open just that bit longer... I'll all for it.

-- And as we seem to have shifted off-topic... let this now be the friendly "mod-push" back to relevant scroll discussion .

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2006 07:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  07:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the name of the year is 'Risen Elfkin,' I would place my bet on some hinted at dwarven material. Specifically, the long awaited gold dwarven exodus from the Great Rift to Deep Shanatar under the Lands of Intrigue. There have been hints about upcoming dwarven material, and the exodus is actually a bit overdo IIRC.
Or maybe it'll come in 1376.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  08:12:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, the gold dwarven march on Shanatar has already started in the Year of the Gauntlet 1369 DR - it's called the War of Gold and Gloom (Races of Faerūn, p.12; Lost Empires of Faerūn, p.116).

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  17:11:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there are further (and earlier) tidbits about it in Eric L Boyd's Dragon Magazine article The City of Sunken Spires in #267.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  20:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that is news to me. Oops.
But thank you for also pointing out where I can find the information - I was really disappointed when there was no apparent follow-up to several references in older 2e products (but I could've sworn that they were talking about it as a future event in 3.5 Shining South - don't have the book here right now, so feel free to correct me).
I'll definately be looking into this.

I was really hoping for a dwarven trilogy detailing the event...

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Umm, the gold dwarven march on Shanatar has already started in the Year of the Gauntlet 1369 DR - it's called the War of Gold and Gloom (Races of Faerūn, p.12; Lost Empires of Faerūn, p.116).

-- George Krashos

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Nightbreeze
Acolyte

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's terribly obvious and boring, but how about

the reclamation of Myth Drannor?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000