Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ulutiu vs Auril - who is the superior ice deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  21:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I notice there are 2 ice deities, Auril ("evil") and Ulutiu ("neutral"). It's said that Ulutiu formed the Great Glacier (which is about 90% of the ice in the Forgotten Realms right?). So does he exclusively rule the Great Glacier? does Auril has any effect there whatsoever?

It seems I am able to find much more information about Auril than I can on Ulutiu, which makes me think he's not as significant as the first.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  22:16:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are answers that mere mortals can never understand. Your question might stray into this area. I have seen advice that even listed Divine Ranks are just what mortals precieve and may not reflect the true state of powers of the deities.

The fact that one deity is written about more then another does not mean it is more powerful, just more interesting to write about.

As for the amount of ice in the realms I do not recall either pole being detailed much at all, let alone how much ice is there.
I have been getting the feeling that the Great Glacier might soon be diminshed in size greatly.

As fot "It is Said" many things are said, that does not mean they are true. *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 13 Mar 2006 22:17:37
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, first of all thanks for replying. By "it's said" I meant that's what written about him in the official deities description. I believe The Great Glacier campaign book which I possess confirms it (although I have only read small bits of it for now).

Also, what is the Divine Ranks? bear in mind I know only the basics of the Forgotten Realms.

"The fact that one deity is written about more then another does not mean it is more powerful, just more interesting to write about."

Well, yes-- I just said it "makes me think", since the major deities have long descriptions and stories, while the minor and less important ones have usually half a page written on them at best.

As for the percentage, it was just an observation by looking at the Forgotten Realms map.

If I may ask out of curiosity, why have you been getting a feeling the Great Glacier might soon be diminished greatly in size?

Thanks,

-Horatio
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Global warming.
They may not have cars and factories in FR, but they do have trolls.
A single troll produces as much ozone damaging gas in a single day, as a 747 flying from London to New York.

True story
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:52:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is written in souce book are subject to change from time to time.

The Elven history concerning the Crown Wars is their explaination, the Drow have a different version of events. Ed of Greenwood has indicated that any lore about deities is what mere mortals understand about them. This appears to from time to time indicate Source books.

Divine ranks 0 to 20 are a 3.X ranking of deities. Demi-deities to greater deities. Oh there are other deities that have higher Divine Rank (AO for example) but we are not told about them because they deal with lessor deities rather then the mere mortals.

As for the Great Glacier some believe the Tree of Life might be planted there, also I seem to recall some reports of melt already setting in (Prehaps the Trolls might take it out and Tree of Life planted someplace else). *Grin*

I do not know what will occur, just try to read signs of what may occur.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  05:06:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Dalor Darden casts Rez Scroll]

I would say certainly that Auril is the more powerful deity simply because Ulutiu is a "Sleeping God" and doesn't truly do anything.

All the nukes in the world are nothing if not used...

Having said that, I'm done.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  22:19:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Ulitiu isn't even an 'ice deity' - he was a minor sea deity.

Just because he was frozen in ice doesn't make it part of his portfolio (and if anything, would indicate he has very little power over it). I didn't bother to check, but if he does have ice listed in his portfolio somewhere, then I would just assume that is since his freezing (which makes very little sense, because really, how can anything be within the portfolio of a god that for all intents and purposes no longer exists?)

On the other hand, we can stretch canon and say he is/was the god of 'frozen seas' - those icy cold waters of the far north. I doubt Umberlee would let him have much more then that (although it is uncertain weather they actually co-existed at any point). Poor Ulutiu - I would hate to be caught between Auril and Umberlee!

Then again, he did sleep with another god's lady, so I guess he got what he deserved.

He may have actually held both portfolios, now that I think about it, and after his 'demise' Umberlee and Auril moved-in to fill the void. Technically, Umberlee is an interloper - she had to come from Faerie at some point, so it is likely some other minor god held that portfolio before her arrival. Then again, if the story of the Black Diamond took place on Toril, as I suspect it might have, then the Fey (Creator race) originated on Toril and Auril is NOT an interloper at all. She is technically an ascended mortal, if that is the case (an immortal mortal, but a mortal all the same - just because something can't die of old age doesn't make it immortal).

Either way, I would say Auril is the more powerful - ulutiu just seems to be a minor 'player' (and I mean that in every sense of the word).

There was a short story featuring Iulutiu in one of the anthologies - he isn't human; not even close. He appears to be seal-like, IIRC. Perhaps he was really just the beast-lord of penguins, lol.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000