Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Second Edition Spells that Never Made It
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  18:22:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was thinking of 2nd edition spells that never quite made it into any conversion of 3rd edition material. Are there any that you can think of that really seemed like a cool concept that no one pick up on and ran with in 3rd edition?

I know some things that were spells (like spells that increase the duration and power of other spells) are now handled with feats and the like, but there must still have been some concepts that haven't made it over yet (and probably won't now that magic is changing).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  19:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Stasis Clone came over... Ditto for a lot of the wild magic spells.

And I don't think that Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke was ever properly described in any game supplement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Oct 2007 19:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  23:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess that much of the Faiths & Avatars - series spells never made it either.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  04:40:45  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think Stasis Clone came over...

Au contraire: it's in 3ed Lords of Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  02:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I imagining this, or was there a spell where a druid could summon a flaming chariot and fly over his or her enemies, inflicting them with fire damage?

I seem to remember this, but couldn't find it. I also remember a glass steel spell, but that also could be my imagination.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  02:37:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Am I imagining this, or was there a spell where a druid could summon a flaming chariot and fly over his or her enemies, inflicting them with fire damage?

I seem to remember this, but couldn't find it. I also remember a glass steel spell, but that also could be my imagination.

Chariot of Susterre.

Why I can remember this? I have no idea.

Glassteel has made it into 3/3.5e but now it's a magical item property, not a spell.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  02:56:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking about that, there are several spells that are now represented by feats, or magic item properties, instead of being spells in and of themselves.

I was thinking that the "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" spells still exist, for example, but they are spells that are used "off screen" and that the individual spellcaster learns automatically when they learn the feats in question . . .

Kind of off topic, but it was just a thought I had.
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  15:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked the phaerimm lifedrain spell from the Ruins of Myth Drannor box set. I was surprised to not see it reprinted in Lost Empires of Faerun.

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  04:02:57  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And one of my favorites, chromatic orb. I really enjoyed that one in 2nd Edition.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  05:35:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite spell was "Rainbow Shield" which allowed you to place a 4th or lower level spell into it that would then be visited on anyone that struck you. The broken aspect of the spell was that the spell wasn't discharged then, but continued to work as long as the Rainbow Shield's duration held out. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it was nice to place Rainbow Shield/Vampiric Touch on my wizard and let enemies beat themselves to death on me while I gained godlike numbers of hitpoints. That only happened once though...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  05:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

My favorite spell was "Rainbow Shield" which allowed you to place a 4th or lower level spell into it that would then be visited on anyone that struck you. The broken aspect of the spell was that the spell wasn't discharged then, but continued to work as long as the Rainbow Shield's duration held out. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it was nice to place Rainbow Shield/Vampiric Touch on my wizard and let enemies beat themselves to death on me while I gained godlike numbers of hitpoints. That only happened once though...

I believe there was also a spell called Temporal Folding, which came from the cleric's Time Sphere in the Tome of Magic 2nd Edition. It made clerics almost unstoppable, providing cover, reflecting back spells, and a few other things, although it did age them each use.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  17:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Age Dragon ever made it to 3E and clerics had access to a spell called Reverse Time I think. Both very cool spells from Tome of Magic 2E. Age Dragon let you increase or decrease the age category of a dragon and Reverse Time let you undo the last 4 or 5 turns a target took. The example for Reverse Time was priceless, a cleric casts it to bring back the 4 party members the dragon just killed.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  17:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

And one of my favorites, chromatic orb. I really enjoyed that one in 2nd Edition.

I was first introduced to chromatic orb in Baludr's Gate. It was one of the best spells in the game. I think I am glad they did not convert it to 3.x though, because they probably would have nerfed it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:35:33  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a 2nd edition spell called Dimensional Folding?

We had a cleric of Mystra that could cast it, and that is how we travelled to Myth Drannor as we had the Dimensional Fold open up in the middle of a Dead Magic area that we had found in Myth Drannor on our first visit.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  23:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Chariot of Susterre.
Chariot of Sustarre, named after Dennis Sustare.
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Yeah, I was thinking about that, there are several spells that are now represented by feats, or magic item properties, instead of being spells in and of themselves.
And either or both or neither the spell treatment and the feat treatment are rules artefacts, thus not Realmslore.

Then there's the many spells that have never had game writeups at all.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  04:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the general case of 'metamagic' (Realms term escapes me), mages are evidently able by their Art to manipulate their spells in ways some of which are fairly well modelled by 3E feats. Other more involved creative castings require more than one spell, and like KEJr, all the ones published strike me as real Realms spells, though some of their details will be off due to ruleset limitations.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  23:37:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duo Dimension and Duo Dimensional Hand never made it. They become psionic powers I think.
I made some conversions of the Lifeblend and Evolve spells from Volo's guide to Magic. Tried to create a biomancer mage.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  23:41:36  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Chariot of Susterre.

It's the signature spell of Alustriel in RAS' books ?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  01:39:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Chariot of Susterre.

It's the signature spell of Alustriel in RAS' books ?

Hmm, might be or cause I played a lot of druids in 2e. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  17:59:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, since I'm working on a spellbook for someone, I recall what I miss, the spells that were reversible!

And cure spells that were necromantic. Yeah, I still have debates with people about this for the current rules. :)

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  15:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Larloch's Minor Drain in the new edition I can't remember. I loved that spell.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  07:38:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Kinda silly to quote myself here...BUT!

I've lost track of exactly where the Rainbow Shield spell is printed...does anyone know?

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  13:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved my good old Wyvern Watch spell ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  16:26:22  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've converted a few of the unconverted spells from The Seven Sisters, and one of my BBEGs in my current campaign uses a spell from that book called Gnostic Chain that the party (who are all spellcasters) absolutely HATES. The spell forces you (no saving throw) to only cast spells of the same level as the last spell you cast. No more spells of that level left? Too bad, so sad. Did the 18th level Cleric cast Implosion last? Good for him, unless he needs to cast a Heal. Did the 19th level Loremaster decide to protect himself with Mirror Image before the big fight? Oops. The party's Wizard *really* wants to get his hands on this spell.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  17:25:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I've converted a few of the unconverted spells from The Seven Sisters, and one of my BBEGs in my current campaign uses a spell from that book called Gnostic Chain that the party (who are all spellcasters) absolutely HATES. The spell forces you (no saving throw) to only cast spells of the same level as the last spell you cast. No more spells of that level left? Too bad, so sad. Did the 18th level Cleric cast Implosion last? Good for him, unless he needs to cast a Heal. Did the 19th level Loremaster decide to protect himself with Mirror Image before the big fight? Oops. The party's Wizard *really* wants to get his hands on this spell.

YEAH! Good ol' Galather's Gnostic Chain! I love using that spell!

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  17:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were the special cleric cult spells included or they were lost forever?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  20:27:35  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

YEAH! Good ol' Galather's Gnostic Chain! I love using that spell!

The best part is that with 3rd edition Metamagic, he often casts it *twinned*, meaning he hits both the Cleric and the Loremaster, then with a second casting hits the Paladin and the Ranger. 2 8th level spells and the entire party is down to about 20% effectiveness for at least 2 rounds. He often does this while hiding behind servitors, flings a few more (often Quickened) slaying or hindering spells, then teleports away, leaving the party as easy meat for his thugs.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  20:51:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nap was the ultimate spell in the RPGA, allowing u to
recover all your spells in the same game session.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  21:34:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I've also noticed a few out of the Spell Compendiums that never made the conversion- like Nature Call and Bigby's Bookworm Bane!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000