Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ales and Wines
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  00:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there was any list of ales & wines that I could use in a FR setting or really any D&D scenario. I guess it's not all that big but it's one of those little details that makie the game a little bit more fun.

If this has already been brought up previously I apologize, and if it has could someone direct me to it?

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  00:52:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe volo's guide books provide FR spirits. Also, many of the FR related computer games provide alot of information on this subject.
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  00:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many novels as well describe various drinks, although it would take a long while to look through those and document a list of drinks ^_^, I was hoping someone had done that for me.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  00:56:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an excellent list of wines and ales in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks much. Now I haven't visited for a while, but would that be on the site somewhere or is it an outside source?

-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  01:04:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a published source, in 2e, during the days of TSR.

You can try paizo.com for a PDF version at $4 US or nobleknight.com for a printed copy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  01:06:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Ed has discussed several types of wine in his '04 and '05 replies here at Candlekeep. Check through the files and perform a search.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  01:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks much, and if anything I'm sure I can scrape together 4 bucks. Thanks again though.

-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  05:59:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did this list for the Realms-L would you believe nearly 8 years ago ... man, I feel old. Anyway, enjoy.

Beers/Ales
Ale (VGW/113)
Archenwood Stout (VGD/22)
Ashaben Ale (VGD/182)
Stout (VGW/113)
Bitter Black (ARC/127)(VGD/63)
Bitterroot Beer (VGS/38)
Black Boot Stout (VGD/182)
Black Grog Ale (VGW/39)
Blackwater Stout (VGD/120)
Butternut Beer (VGN/168)
Dragon's Breath Beer (ARC/127)(VGD/63)
Elder Root Stout (VGS/171)
Elminster's Choice (ARC/127)
Flounder Beer (VGW/201)
Golden Sands Basic (ARC/127)
Golden Sands Gold (ARC/127)
Golden Sands Orange (ARC/127)
Highmoon Dark Beer (VGD/108)
Highwater Ale (VGD/108)
Iriaeboran North Brew (ARC/128)
Luiren's Best (ARC/128)
Luskan Black Ale (VGN/127)
Old Dark Ale (VGS/171)
Old One Eye (ARC/128)
Old Smoke Ale (VGD/138)
Purple Dragon Ale ("Suzale") (ARC/128)(VGD/63)
Shadowdark Ale (ARC/128)(VGD/63)
Slaker (VGN/18)
Tanagyr's Stout (ARC/129)
Tantul's Dark (VGD/58)

Exotic Drinkables
Al & Tal's Slurp Syrup (VGW/157)
Elverquisst (VGW/113)
Evereskan Clearwater (VGW/157)
Fool's Thirst Quencher (VGW/157)
Guldathen Nectar (VGW/24)
Rollrum (VGS/18)
Tashlutan Amberthroat (VGW/24)
Thorl Beldarakul (VGW/157)

Spirits & Fortifieds
Almond Brandy - Mintarn (VGW/113)
Almond Brandy - Moonshae (VGW/113)
Best Old Mintarn Whiskey (VGW/153)
Firebelly Whiskey (VGW/57)
Fires of Mirabar Whiskey (VGW/30)
Fruit Liqueurs (VGW/113)
Lantan Blackthroat (VGW/152)
Maiden's Kiss Brandy (VGC/86)
Mead (VGW/113)
Peach Smoothwater Liqueur (VGD/206)
Rubyfire Liqueur (VGD/206)
Sherry (VGW/113)
Whiskey (VGW/113)
Wyvern Whiskey (VGW/153)
Zzar (VGW/113)(VGW/152)

Wines and Ciders
Alurlyath (ARC/130)(VGC/150)
Arabellan Dry (ARC/129)
Berduskan Dark Wine (ARC/129)(VGS/153)
Blood Wine (ARC/129)
Clarry (ARC/130)
Evermead (ARC/130)
Evershimmer (VGN/68)
Fighting Cock Wine (VGN/127)
Firewine (ARC/130)(VGW/113)
Halurskan Wine (VGS/165)
Jalanthar Amber (VGN/206)
Knee-Cracker Cider (ARC/129)
Maerlathen Bluewine (VGW/24)
Moonwine (VGW/24)
Mintarn Wine (VGN/34)
Mushroom Wine (VGN/18)
Neverwinter Black Icewine (VGW/153)
Neverwinter Nectar (VGW/126)
Pearls of the Moon Wine (VGD/182)
Purple Hills Cider (ARC/129)
Saerloonian Special Vat (ARC/130)
Saerloonian Glowfire (ARC/130)(VGN/68)(VGS/46)
Saerloonian Topaz (ARC/130)
Shondath Icewine (VGW/157)
Sluth (VGW/152)
Tashlutan Dragonstongue (VGW/96)
Tethyrian Distilled Dragonsblood (VGW/153)
Utterdark (VGC/87)
Vilhon Cider (ARC/129)(VGC/193)
Westgate Ruby (ARC/131)
Winter Wine (ARC/131)

Key
Code Sourcebook
ARC: Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue
VGC: Volo's Guide to Cormyr
VGD: Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
VGN: Volo's Guide to the North
VGS: Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
VGW: Volo's Guide to Waterdeep

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Edfiles

I’ve created extensive lists of drinkables, recipes, and suchlike for inns, but always avoided doing direct real-world equivalents, especially for “mixed drinks” or “cocktails.” However, you will find many notations in my published writings along the lines of ‘firewine tastes somewhat like a cross between RealWorldA and RealWorldB.’
To help you with this specific query, however, here are the general guidelines: in the warmer climes (ending, as one goes northwards, at about Amn), drinks may sometimes be blended for taste reasons (or mixed with fresh fruit juices), but are almost never deliberately made stronger by combining one alcoholic drinkable with another.
However, from Westgate northwards, and Beregost northwards on the Sword Coast, most inns and taverns serve fortified drinkables. These are of two sorts: the booze that ‘the house’ adulterates habitually and ‘everybody knows about,’ and mixed drinks that are done on the spot, at the request of a patron or upon a patron accepting a clear offer of “warming” a drink.
The first sort of “warmed” drinks include zzar and what’s called “deep ale” or “fire ale” (beer to which a grain-based spirit has been added). These may be watered to make them go farther if the taste is harsh (and of course to save the establishment some coins), and also often fortified with distilled spirits (usually potato-based, in other words close to what we’d call vodka: essentially clear, colorless, and tasteless).
The second sort of “warmed” drinks only approach the elaborate recipes of our real-world cocktails in places like Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Luskan, Neverwinter, Sembia, Westgate, and the coastal ports of the Dragonreach. Usually they’re simple “warm your wine by stirring in a little throatslake, goodsir?” concoctions (“throatslake” being the generic term for a distilled spirit such as gin, bourbon, vodka, whiskey, et al). If the throatslake has a strong taste that clashes with the wine, the result can be, well, horrible. :}
Years back, one of my players spent a gaming weekend at our cottage serving us all various cocktails and giving them Realms names, so I can give you here what I can remember of her admittedly short list (of course, you’d have to rename all the ingredients to make them fit the Realms, too, and I’ve never bothered):
Angel’s Kiss: Tansar’s Dance
Buck’s Fizz: Marthoun’s Flagon
Cherry Sling: Dragondown
Daiquiri: Ladydagger
Gimlet: Bright Blade
Margarita (Strawberry): Wyvernblood
Mint Julep: Sea Ward Slake
Pina Colada: Snowfire
Port and Starboard: Nightfire
Rickey (Gin): Lightning Bolt
Rob Roy: Battle Banner
Rusty Nail: Merchants’ Tears
Rum Eggnog: Harbour Foam
Stone Fence: Stag At Bay
Tequila Sunrise: Caravan Lantern

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  10:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Excellent, George This is the kind of Realmslore and detail that I love. Would ye mind if I placed this list on the Candlekeep site?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  14:06:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feel free. I've been meaning to update it for some time but that will have to wait for a while as there are other projects that require my attention at the moment.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  16:59:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Excellent, George This is the kind of Realmslore and detail that I love. Would ye mind if I placed this list on the Candlekeep site?

Grin.

I snagged it for the updates to my files... but if you want to add it to the site as well, go ahead. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  04:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for all of this. Although it takes up a small part of most campaigns it will be most useful at any rate.

-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  01:28:51  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, that was an awesome list. Thankfully you kept it around. Now all the PCs that want to go to the local have to worry about what to drink before starting the bar fight!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000