Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Triad
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  03:34:43  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know Tyr, Torm and Illmatar have been linked together as 'The Triad'. I have been contemplating having the faiths merge into a Church of The Triad.

Does anyone else see this happening and what doe you think the new church would look like as far as infrastructure and cermonies?

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:11:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought on this is that I would not see a complete merge into a new faith, but I could see a triade working together. My idea would be to build a large temple complex in the shape of a triangle, with each point of the triangle having small individual templs for each of the 3 gods. The head of each church would have equal authority and the 3 would form a council of sorts that would make the decisions for the temple as a whole. This triad would be able then to use each of their unique qualities, as designed by each individual faith, to come together and work for a common good. I would have each church be able to pursue their own interests, as well as participating in the triad's goals and interests. I would place this temple of the triad, in the north, somewhere along the sword coast. I could also see it working in the moonsea region, or the dragon reach areas. this is just spur of the moment and would have to be fleshed out in greater detail, but I can see something along these lines working out. I could also see each church having it's own holidays,ceremonies, and worshippers. In addition though, there would be newer ceremonies dedicated to the triade and it's alliance.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the triad are in an alliance, I still think they believe very differently on how good could be carried out. At the very least it would be interesting to see their debates :P

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:22:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

While the triad are in an alliance, I still think they believe very differently on how good could be carried out. At the very least it would be interesting to see their debates :P

Exactly, that is why I would have them be able to pursue individual church interests, while still having some sort of common works, the church as a whole would have to participate in. The council set up between the heads of the church would signify the triad's alliance in a mortal sense, who would then have to come to certain agreements on how to move the alliance forward. Debates would be very interesting, as they are here in these boards. They would not have to agree, disagree, or otherwise all of the time. The council could even include minor heads of each church to form smaller committies for differant projects that are being pursued.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Exactly, that is why I would have them be able to pursue individual church interests, while still having some sort of common works, the church as a whole would have to participate in. The council set up between the heads of the church would signify the triad's alliance in a mortal sense, who would then have to come to certain agreements on how to move the alliance forward. Debates would be very interesting, as they are here in these boards. They would not have to agree, disagree, or otherwise all of the time. The council could even include minor heads of each church to form smaller committies for differant projects that are being pursued.

You might want to build on the Triadic Knight, detailed in Champions of Valor.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  19:44:34  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

You might want to build on the Triadic Knight, detailed in Champions of Valor.

--Eric

I don't have this one yet as I'm a little behind in source books, too many to choose from lately can anyone assist with a triadic knight reference here and how it would best fit ?

Edited by - scererar on 10 Mar 2006 19:45:03
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  20:17:31  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea. Right now the party is getting ready to leave their base in Quevarr and is going to Shadowdale on orders from the head of one PC's Druidic council (investigating the disbanding of the circle there) while there I plan for them to run into assassins from the Church of Bane.

It's there that they find that the heads of each faith is meeting in the Twisted Tower discussing a merge. I won't carry this out yet and hope to carry it on as a subplot until I figure out what to do. I'd love to see these ideas fleshed out more.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  01:46:34  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know in my home games, I've definitely included shrines to affiliated deities in major churches. So, if a town is listed as only having a church to Torm in official material, I will occasionally have that church include a shrine (and an attending priest or two) to Tyr or Illmater.

I'm not so sure about having the faiths merge (this becomes a bit more of a heresy in my book), but I could definitely see elaborate services dedicated to the triad occur where a priest of each faith has a role. I could also see churches dedicated to the triad with priests of each taking part... and of course including some Triadic Knights.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  04:19:47  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn now as I have kicked around that the reason for the meeting would also be the planning stages for a crusade against Zhentail Keep. For some background we just made it to 1372DR in our time line (We began in 1370 for some of our own reasons).

Now with the return of Bane the leaders of the three churches plan to use the possible confusion of Banes church realigning to mount an attack on the Zhents. ( the Zhentarim is a rumored secret society still IMC)

I had thought that the Sheildmeet would be a good kick off for the planning of a larger council type meetings needed (similar to the early Christain Church councils that established doctorine etc.) to merge the faiths and that the reason for the merge was the planned crusade but now that I think about it they could remain allied to do this.

And I need to get that book with the Triadic Knoghts in there but I am waaay behind on my source books...
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  17:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to start a new topic so I'm just gonna ask here,

Is it acceptable to pray for another deity in a different deity's church?

Secondly, are there "general" temples? like, a temple for all the good gods?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  17:57:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'm just gonna ask here,

Is it acceptable to pray for another deity in a different deity's church?

I'd say that if the clergy knew you were doing it, they'd not be happy about it... In some churches, it would be frowned on. In others, it'd get you kicked out. When it comes to evil deities, I'd not risk my life that way.

quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

Secondly, are there "general" temples? like, a temple for all the good gods?

The Plinth in Waterdeep is one -- just about any deity can be worshipped there, good or evil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Mar 2006 18:05:18
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  21:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that bit of knowledge. I thought about having a "general" temple in the server I'm building for NWN, but then it would be impossible to have hierarchy, ranks, and a sense of similarity, closeness and belonging. Eventually I went with "Lathander" since I felt it was the most "general" deity.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000