Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Foxhelm's Gates of the Moon article
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  19:46:44  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was writting this for the Candlekeep Com.. I was hoping for some feedback. Thanks.

I arrive at the Gates of the Moon through the portals. (Who's location I have been asked to keep secret so I have kept out of this publication.) The first thing that I see a fine silvery mist that seem to float in the whole area like a cloud. As I adjusted to the mist I could make out images of green and white as I slowly gained a better look around. It soon was revealed to be green viberant plant life mixed with stones of pure white marble. With flashes of sliver reflecting back at me when the light hit them.

I was in the center of the city of Argentil. Name after the palace that was home to the Goddess Selune that was part of it, the city was made of white stone that was mostly marble. The other common stone that was used in the construction was a light blue stone, called Blue Shardite, that was native to the plane. The metal that was use in the construction was in fact a silver that was native to the plane as well. Selunite Silver is a silver that has been affected by the power of Selune's presence on the plane. It has no effect on good lycanthropes at all. It only affects neutral Lycanthropes who wish to harm other living creatures. (I have heard rumours of a Malar version of this silver, Malar's Blacksilver. This has no effect on evil lycanthropes or neutrals that wishes to harm people.)

The city was a friendly place, with outsiders being welcomed as long as they do not seem to be causing trouble. (I learnt that this was common due to the accepting nature of the gods that live here. Selune is open to all creatures who are not evil, Shandakul is welcoming to all travelers and explorers and Finder Wyvernspur tends to hang out with an odd collection of characters.) I stayed at an inn in Argentil known as the Three Face Maiden (which plays on the three common forms of the Moonmaiden; Maiden, Mother and Elder).

Let us start at the basics. The Gates of the Moon is composed of a sea of silvery blue water that looks like the northern skies at night. On that sea is a collection of islands that make up the settle part of the plane. The main island is also called Argentil, like the city and the palace. These are the offical name. On the plane, only the palace is called Argentil. It is a sure sign that a person is new on the plane if they call anything but the palace by that name with out trying to sound offical. (The city is commonly called Silverwhite, while the island is commonly called Moonrock Island.)

On Moonrock, it is basically broken into two major parts. One is the palace city with the other part being a wilderness area that is split into differing zones. Similar to the wilderness of Faerun that the Feyfolk and the Lycanthropes inhabit. The city as I have said is a mixture of blue and white stones, with silver highlights. The City is on what main have called the Southside of the island. At the most Northern point of the city is the Hall of Silver known as Argentil. It was place there so that the worshippers that perfer the wildlands could come into contact with their Mother, as she is called here. The palace rises high into the horizons, making it the focus point of the island.

The palace itself is a work of archecture, mixing from styles older than Netheril to those as recent as Waterdeep a decade ago. Many of the pictures are shown in the common shades of silver, white and blue. Those being the colours of Selune. But there are art pieces that have other colours that stand out in the other, calm colours.

The Halls of Silver is full of spirits of Priests of Selune. Each doing a duty that appeals to them. Some guarding areas that hold secrets of Selune, other tending to the needs of their mother and still others tending to the needs of the palace. Also common are the angels that serve Selune. The most common are the special Planetar varients known as Shards. (There are even rumours that a select few of these Shards have developed power related to their service to Selune that differ from the most common variety of Planetar. What those powers are, I do not know.) Other angels that are common are the various types of Devas and a collection of Eladrin sent by their queen to serve Selune. These are lead by a silver skinned
form of Solar Angels.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  00:33:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall, I like it. It doesn't seem to deviate too much from what has already been established about the Gates themselves.

Since you've written this for Candlekeep, we can be sure that Alaundo WILL take notice of it and will eventually include it on the mainsite too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2006 00:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  01:16:51  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually this is just the first part, I wanted some feedback before continuing with the rest of it. Think that people like or would like to see. Things they didn't like or that I have missed.

Thanks.
Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  08:31:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Overall, I like it. It doesn't seem to deviate too much from what has already been established about the Gates themselves.

Since you've written this for Candlekeep, we can be sure that Alaundo WILL take notice of it and will eventually include it on the mainsite too.

Well met

Oh worry not, I certainly did take notice Indeed, I quite liked the article. There are a few typo's and grammar errors, but they can easily be ironed out. The subject is interesting indeed and i'll be interested to hear your thoughts of expanding on this, Foxhelm.

Regardless, i'm sure there's a shelf around here somewhere for thy scroll

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  03:46:21  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed what you have written thus far and will definitely archive it away for personal use once it is complete
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000