Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Time Zones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  01:47:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Now I just have to find the info on Ed's Anchoromé again so I can place the last few islands... <snip>
I used to be able to find this information fairly easilly, and now I can't. Its like it vanished.

Anyone know where it is, or have a copy of it? Ed had, at some point, described his original island chain that was Anchoromé. The only thing I remember is that one was either crescent or banana-shaped. He even described (perfectly) how many map-sections over where each island was.

Damn, I've tried everything, to no avail. I smell a conspiracy!!!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  01:57:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/Map%20Snippets/Anchor_Small.jpg however appears to be very small map.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  02:08:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's Anchoromé is very different from that continent North of Maztica.

And I found the info I was looking for. I already had it in my notes, I was just looking in the wrong place. I needed to look under Eskember, not Anchoromé.

My new motto - "no lore left behind"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  02:37:30  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, I believe I was the one who requested the time-zone map, and it was in the "Stupid Question Time" scroll. Thank you for doing the time-zone maps (although when you get the next one up I'll have to snag that one). It will help me greatly.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  05:38:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I use the FRIA map for scale (which should coincide to the 1e/2e maps), I get 950 miles between longitude lines. That makes Toril only 22,800 miles in circumference. Thats just over 2000 miles less the Earth.

If we go by the scale of the 3e maps, it gets a bit worse. The distance between longitude lines is 930 miles, making Toril a mere 22,320 miles at the equator.

No matter how you slice it, using all canon maps, Toril is always smaller. I am just going to assume here the 1e/2e/FRIA measurements are the more correct ones, because the area I am measuring as a reference is a piece of the Swordcoast, which became significantly distorted on the 3e maps. The distance between the coast and Westgate is precisely the same as the space between two longitude lines (and it wouldn't matter if you nudged Westgate around, because I am measuring where it is, because that is the exact spot I need; moving the city would not make me measure to a different spot).

All my measurements were taken west to east in a perfectly straight line, so I would not have to account for curvature distortion. Also, this is after I added back in the piece of Ocean that I hacked off originally. I can tell precisely where the 'world ends' because a few items can be seen on both sides of the map I am using to scale the grid (so that no-one can say "maybe there is more water/stuff there not shown on the map"). By doing this I had to shrink the landmasses down once again (only 95.5% of the original), so that now the Equator moved slightly south of where I had it before (actually, the land moved north, but you get the idea). Its not nearly as a significant difference as I had feared it would - it still follows all the canon (in the Realms-L list description of the equator). If I didn't point it out most folks probably wouldn't even have noticed it.

So not only is it our 'ugly baby', but its a 'preemie' to boot.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2013 05:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  06:39:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I just discovered the distance tool in the FRIA (Uh-DOH! {smacks head}), and when I measure from the center of a tiny island to the center of the same exact tiny island on the other side of the map I get 23,400 (thats an average - I took several measurements). I also used it to check my coast-to-Westgate calculations earlier and it was spot-on, so I am going to trust it.

According to the FRIA, Toril is 23,400 miles at the equator. If they want to says its 28K then they either have to move Waterdeep south of the 45 degree mark, Chult WAY north of the equator, or add four more hours to Toril's day.

I'm done. I have a headache now. I'll let NASA do the rest.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2013 06:40:11
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  16:19:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just wondering, where'd this 28K come from? I quickly scanned the above thread looking for it and didn't see it (then I pulled a "search this page" for the number 28 hoping to find it"). Just wondering where the issue you're having originated.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  16:21:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: Its hidden. If we take Ed's figure of 8880 for our diameter, that gives us a radius of 4440, or a circumference of 27897.342763877365 miles (so lets just call it 28K because its easier to do the math, and at the scales I am working NO-ONE is going to see that 103 miles anyway). Circumference = Equator, not Diameter.

Because I am a masochist I decided to do this all over again... for the 6th time. I found one last discrepancy that will give us a bit more girth on setting. I can also switch (for the continental outline) from a Mercator to a Gall-Peters projection (which gives me a scientific reason to stretch the continents along the N/S axis). So if I leave the longitude & latitude lines alone, and stretch the continents to a more 'realistic'* projection, things may workout even better.

No matter what I do, though, people in Ten Towns wear shorts in the summer. There really is absolutely no way getting around that. The very top edge of the Faerûnian continent is 1000 miles away (from Icewind Dale), and it falls out precisely where the top edge of Iceland does, and I know people live in Iceland and do just fine. So a 1000 miles north of Ten Towns is weather that is maybe not 'hospitable', but quite livable.

If we decide to ignore the canon about Waterdeep being "just above 45°", and shove Waterdeep north to about 60° that would solve Icewind Dale's apparently magic-induced coldness, but would also completely screw-up where the Equator is, and invalidate too many other things. NO, Waterdeep at 45° works out perfectly in regards to where the tropics should be (so somebody obviously thought about this stuff before).

In 5e they need to feed poor Toril some more Abeir and fatten it up.

And at this point I think I may be talking to myself - does anyone really care about this stuff but me?

*"Realistic" is relative, since we do not know what projection our maps have been all along, but if it helps to assume they were Mercator, then that works out on all fronts (because Mercator IS the default projection, usually).

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2013 16:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  16:45:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am still interested in your progress.

As to Ten Towns and climate pattern, one should always remember there is much magic in the Realms so there indeed could be a localized effect of magic of some kind that changes the local climate. *Smile*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:34:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, the ultimate designer-out... "It magic!"

Ugh. Crunch some numbers sometime and get a headache like me (and none of this is directed at Ed at all - I know he put a LOT of thought into everything he put in his Realms, and considered everything from weather to latitudes).

For the guy who writes novels set in Icewind dale, though - I give you a pic of people enjoying weather at a latitude 1000 miles NORTH of Icewind Dale. They are laughing at you, wimpy Drizzt DoUrden. You and your wimpy friends... Pfwah!

EDIT: And the sad part is, I actually shoved it back up where it was supposed to be - the 3e maps dropped it way south.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2013 17:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:59:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well do not like its magic without understanding it either, however has been a factor in the Realms.

Yes Ed has spent much time on detail in order t make the world make sense.

The problem though sometimes comes from the fact Ed sold the Realms. TSR then and WotC now sometimes have the right in to order something to be that does not make sense.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  22:55:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toril's Timezones - I think I nailed it.

The scale says there is 1040 Miles between lines of longitude, but it is actually closer to 1037.5 Miles. That means Toril is 24,900 miles at the equator - pretty much exactly the same size as Earth.

As the description says, everything is from canon sources. Many islands have appeared on certain maps and not on others. The more 'splayed' look to the Zakhara Islands is derived from the map in the 3e FRCG. Obviously the (3e) designers weren't too happy with the boxy look Zakahara had before, which was great because neither were most fans. That chain is now an amalgam of the 3e FRCG map and the official Zakhara map (so basically, the Zakhara map is still correct - we just see much more of the surrounding islands in this view).

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  01:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until Ed places it definitively, I go on the assumption that the sprawling island chain north of Evermeet (along the continental shelf) is in fact the isles of Anchoromé.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 08 Jan 2013 01:49:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  02:00:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yeah, and the 'BIG island' may not be Osse, either - thats always just been an assumption.

The regional names were more just so folks not as familiar with the Realms can tell where the main campaign area is. The map's not meant to be pretty - its just a handy reference for DMs trying to figure-out the time of day after a long teleport. (and possible weather conditions, using similar-latitude RW locales).

I am sure the continent north of Maztica has its own name, and settlers/explorers misnamed it (in the Maztica products) "Anchoromé" after the 'mythical' island chain.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  09:38:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question: why is the "zero" in some point of Kara-Tur and the Hordelands? I think at first you've put it in Waterdeep, and someone considered placing it in Myth Drannor... Not that it matters, since it is only for reference.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 08 Jan 2013 14:42:44
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  10:24:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timezones do seem less important in a Late-Middle-Ages/Pre-Renaissance sort of setting. The overwhelming majority of people will never travel much beyond the next village unless they go on a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage or are somehow ejected from their lands. All sorts of merchants, criminals, exiles, athletes, adventurers, tax collectors, sailors, soldiers, itinerants, performers, gypsies, and nobility might travel to many other lands, but they are collectively a minority and I just can't see timezones being too critical when it takes at least half a fortnight to get from city to city. Travel in feudal societies is dangerous (moreso in a world populated by monsters) and strongly discouraged by authorities who'd rather tax everything that moves in their lands, keep out (and execute) foreign spies, and ensure their own peasants are never unburdened with productive and profitable chores. Most people have never even seen a reliable timepiece, and most people with half a brain will be wary of anything mechanical which hints at gnomish tinkering.

To be sure, spellcasters have access to instant world-spanning scrying, communications, and transport. But they comprise a tiny fraction of the overall population, even in the magic-bloated Realms. Their services are generally not readily available nor affordable ... it seems to me that timezones on Toril would never be defined because they serve no purpose - aside from coordinating time-critical rituals, grandiose military actions, and esoteric scholarly pursuits which can all probably get by well enough without any timezone distinctions.

The question makes me wonder if certain deities (Lathander, Shar, and such) effectively have power over only part of Toril at any given time. It's always dawn or midnight somewhere, but never everywhere.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Jan 2013 10:41:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  14:26:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said, this is more of a print-out for DMs to have a handy reference, if they were the types to have their PCs 'porting all over the place (for instance, it gets dark about 45 minutes earlier in Suzail then it does in Waterdeep). That's why I kept the colors to a minimum - I wanted it easy to print.

Another reason I did this was to establish a map that fits all canon, so that would be one less thing WotC has to worry about later on. Now they can just hire someone like Mike Shley or Rob Lazzaretti to make a beautiful world map without crunching the numbers as I did. They also have a TON of room in the southern hemisphere for whatever they want (Myrmidune is actually under the northern icecap - see THIS canon map from the FRIA.

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

One question: why is the "zero" in some point of Kara-Tur and the Hordelands? I think at first you've put it in Waterdeep, and someone considered placing it in Myth Drannor... Not that it matters, i it is only for reference.
On my last iteration of the map I did indeed put it in Myth Drannor, so that the continents aligned better with Earth (to give folks perspective). However, I ditched the whole superimposed Earth idea (since I had that on an earlier map) and just put the Primer Meridian in the center of the map (since its just an arbitrary reference point for our sake - Torillians would never have that type of map). That version I never bothered to post because I was becoming less and less happy with it.

If it makes you feel any better, it falls out in Kuo Meilan, a deserted city on the Chukei Plateau. Once the capital of the first Shou Empire, and also the last refuge for the dying Anok-Imaskari, it fell after the defeat of Tan Chin, known in Faerûn as the lich Ambuchar Devyam. So if such a map did exist, its probably in the Great Library of Perpustakaan near the ruins of Tempat larang, and therefor makes sense since it would be attributed to the early Shou explorers.

Not that I did that on-purpose - I just thought of all that after I saw where it fell out.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2013 14:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  14:49:26  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I said it is only for reference... Our world most used map is Europe-centered, and "north" is above in the map for a historical political reason... If Myth Drannor were a world-dominant culture, it would make sense to put the zero mark over it, and to put it in the center of the map - as in our Greenwich. But now, for me, it only matters to know if a wizard or character in my campagn, when using a portal or instantaneous teleport device, will feel a difference in time and climate when crossing huge distances in an instant.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  14:55:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one, two, three answers, calculated from slightly different data - the third one appears most accurate, or at the least it cites canon sources for its data and provides a pretty map overlayed with timezone meridians.

I offer for consideration the possibility that Abeir-Toril's size may have actually changed during apocalyptic RSE events. Yes, it may seem like an utterly ridiculous notion ... but then, so too is the idea of two parallel worlds remaining inhabited and somewhat intact after a violent exchange of roughly one quarter of their combined landmass. Perhaps Toril lost or gained a tiny percentage of total size and mass during this exchange.

Or perhaps, more simply, Toril's inhabitants made errors, or they have refined their methods and devices for measuring such things with greater accuracy over the passing decades. Although it does seem a little strange to me that spelljammers would never have catalogued accurate celestial and geographical data for a major port like Toril.

Computing this data from inconsistent (and sometimes plain wrong) surface maps isn't the best idea, even moreso on a world where not only borders but also continents have a tendency to move around or vanish. Consider the maps of Earth available during previous centuries and how they compare against each other.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Jan 2013 15:21:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:21:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears he centered everything on Faerûn and completely ignored the rest of the world. His 'time zones' are completely wack. 18 timezones just in the heartlands? I THINK NOT. Off the top of my head, that would make Toril's day about 108 hours long!

His latitudes seem fairly accurate - his equator would fallout a bit too far south, IMHO. Somehow, he managed to come to a figure for the circumference very close to mine.

We have a globe of the world in the FRIA (and pics of the world in the Fonstad atlas), so we know the exact parameters of the planet. Three such flattened globe maps can be gleened from the FRIA (and I linked to one of those above). That shows ALL the surface area of Toril, so the edges of the map HAVE TO end precisely twenty four timezone lines (longitude) from end to end. I went a bit further to show overlap at the edges. We also know that Waterdeep is "just above 45º", which works out perfectly with one of the very few other canon facts we have about this stuff - the position of the equator. Given the precise extents of the world map, and the position of Waterdeep, there is simply no other way to represent everything - my map has to be the most accurate ever done. Magic has nothing to do with it - its just science.

On another note, the globe in my copy of the FRIA is working now - it didn't run on my last computer.

If they decide I am correct (or did their own calculations), they may want to tweak things and move Waterdeep much further north (in 5e), since the descriptions of Icewind Dale don't really match its latitude. Sadly, we've seen RAS's novels effect canon numerous times before. I'd just go with "Alwayswinter" (the opposite magical effect that applies to Neverwinter). Auril, or Ulutiu's Necklace, some ancient (malfunctioning?) device from a bygone era, etc... could all be used to explain why the North is just so much colder then it ought to be. I guess "It's magic!" fits Occam's Razor in this scenario.

On another note, the icecaps at the poles are HUGE in comparison to Earth.
If Toril ever comes out of its 'little Iceage', a helluva lot of land will be underwater (and given hints by Ed in various sources, this could be happening for the past thousand years, albeit slowly).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:34:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the map data you're working off, in the FRIA ... it may have been converted to a uniform scale but are you truly confident that it's the official canon dimensions? It's quite easy to nudge and shift continents around, and as a consequence relocate miles and miles of ocean. Precision and accuracy are not the same thing, the FRIA maps may offer finest resolution without accuracy.

A little online research shows that these sorts of geography/cartography questions have arisen many times but Wizbro's people have always avoided answering them by assigning indisputable hard numbers. It seems to me that until an "official" response is forthcoming, all of the (incompatible) answers presented online are equally valid.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:52:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

We have a globe - no other terrain is missing. The exact extents of the map are valid, even if the continents contained therein 'shift around'.

There could more continents, less continents, completely different continents - NONE OF THAT MATTERS. We have the edges of a map that applies to a globe - whats on the map matters not in the least. We stretch that to fit a 24 hour day. Then we adjust what we have up or down so that Waterdeep falls-out just above 45º on a Mercator projection. No other data matters.

Unless the planet has some weird shape we don't know about, or has more (or less) then 24 hours, my findings are irrefutable. They would have to change canon facts for it to be any different.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2013 15:53:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  16:38:16  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a refutation, it could be that the edges of the map from FRIA are in error, and that it is quite wintry in Icewind Dale.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the FRIA should not be considered canon.

Edited by - The Hidden Lord on 08 Jan 2013 16:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:02:21  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

Has Wotc said that, or is this your opinion?

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:55:41  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

quote:

Both.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:04:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The maps in the FRIA (not just the globe - there are several), the Fonstad Atlas (of which Ed has said "was the closest to HIS Realms"), and the illustration on pg.231 of the 4e FRCS are all in agreement. If anything, the Fonstad maps leave out quite a bit - she only has K-T and Faerûn, which would make the planet MUCH smaller if thats all there was.

Until something changes with the world (and who really knows how the Spellplague and Abeir affected the geography and size of Toril), no other explanation is possible. If I stretch the map along the N/S axis it would also stretch along the E/W axis, making Toril's day longer.

The only other possibility - one I thought of (humorously) when I clicked on Ayrik's link to the Wiki (the Wiki is always good for a laugh) - is that when the sun rises in the Hordelands the planet gently spins on its axis for 18 hours. Then, as night falls on the Swordcoast, everyone grabs onto something 'nailed down' and hangs on for dear life, because the planet picks up speed and spins at an alarming rate for the next 6 hours... until the sun once again rises in the east, when it slows down to a gentle crawl. EDIT: Actaully, this only explains that bizarro map in the wiki, nothing else... still, its an amusing thought.

I'm just going to go with an entrapped 'frost primordial' under kelvin's Cairn. Its the simplest explanation. Some day he'll wake-up and leave, and then Regis can finally open up that summer resort he's always wanted to.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2013 19:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:42:16  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Both.

Got a reference for that?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:47:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HE doesn't need one.

Anyhow, I try to do something for the community and I get shot down for it. I'm trying to keep interest in The Realms as high as possible, but whatever. At the end of the day, its not my paycheck in jeopardy.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  20:06:12  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Got a reference for that?

I sure do, Tasker!

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20080828a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_%28fiction%29

The first of the links above contains WotC's perspective, and the second is a link to the wikipedia entry on canon, so you can learn more about canon.

Edited by - The Hidden Lord on 08 Jan 2013 21:18:51
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  20:10:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, Yes some can appear to be disruptive. Please do not let it bother you.

On the down side, of course FRIA is about 10 years old, which clearly might not include Edition changes.

In the canon, last canon released is canon, even if the World changed.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ex20020218a is last official update with the page saying
quote:
Forgotten Realms Atlas - Update Number 3, October 31st 2001
The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas is no longer being supported. This patch is being provided as a courtesy "as-is."

It still is best available resource. As to not being supported that is true, as to not being canon that becomes more debatable. Last map released clearly would be canon. Thus unless a new world map has been released it should follow that FRIA is still canon. Others of course can take a different view. In part it could be justified because of changes the Editions change has stated occurred.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000