Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Size of Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Smith
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  21:00:56  Show Profile Send John Smith a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can someone provide me with the circumference of 3.5E Toril - the planet? (I'm not sure what it is called in 4E; I'm still in 3.5E) Earth is roughly 24,902 miles in circumference. I'm trying to get an idea of the relative size of 3.5E Toril to that of Earth. (I'm not even sure of the proper name of the planet in 3.5E.......)

Thanks in advance.

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  21:50:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi JS

The info you need is in the FAQ

Cheers

Damian

It's roughly Earth-sized, according to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

3.13. Does Toril have time zones?

Toril

Circumference = 23,400 approx
24 time zones
Axial tilt is ~ 19-25 degrees
Prime Meridian is Myth Drannor
Other time zones are based on meridian lines of globe function in Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (two per square).
Time zones are 975 miles wide.
Nit-pick -- that is 975 miles wide at the equator of course. This will dwindle down to zero as you approach the poles.

And Bryon Wischstadt added:

You should have been a Luka's Bar during GenCon when we worked this out! (I took notes) :) Something Trent didn't mention (we're co-DMs) is that with gates transporting the user instantly (as ::ahem:: *most* do) we got to thinking about adding another bit of realism to the game. We wanted to know what time of day it was when the party arrived in their new destination halfway across Faerun. From the player's perspective, they step through a gate mid-morning and arrive at a place that is still dark... this is a nice cue to the players that they have moved quite a distance. (They don't know the destinations of the gates) As you can see it's quick and relatively simple--add 2 hrs per grid on the atlas--and you'll end up with something kinda cool from both the DM and players' perspectives. As Trent said "Hope this helps"... Enjoy!

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  07:00:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed Greenwood, Toril is slightly larger then Earth - I forget the exact percentage. I worked it out once, when I was doing my world map, and found there is TONS of room for yet another continent, and even plenty of space above and below the map (the poles are MUCH further then the 3e map implies).

On the other hand, Ed's Realms may have been bigger then the published Realms - WotC had to borrow quite a lot of mass to build Abeir.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2012 07:04:59
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  20:38:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It must be made of some rubbery material, too, because it seems to have grown and squashed over the years (though, that could simply be chalked up to maps, and not the planet itself).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  20:58:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are my thoughts on this matter (in order to make everything 'work'):

There was once one stable world. Some philosophers and self-acclaimed 'Sages' theorize that ALL Prime Worlds were once one endless plane, that was shattered in the Time before Ages. The truth of that may never be known, but what we do know is that Abeir-Toril itself was MUCH larger, and had even more diversity of flora and fauna then it does today.

Some very bad things happened during the godswar - unspeakable things - and entire (mortal) races were wiped-out. Some fled to differnt planes, and still others huddled in caves and did what they could to survive the cataclysm. In the end, to preserve what life he could -- both mortal and god alike - Ao (some say in his ultimate wisdom... others are not so kind) split the world asunder into at least two pieces (that we know of), and the worlds of Abeir and Toril were born.

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, these two words began a wonderous regrowth, and while they shared many things in common, they also had many things the other had lost.

But it wasn't a perfect solution... from time to time Ao has to readjust his 'grand experiment'. The world that once was had been in perfect balance until the deities and primordials destroyed that harmony, and the two halves occasionally suffer for want of what the other has. This is why we see such sweeping changes, and why mortals often do not even remember 'what was', except when they stumble upon some ancient (and well-shielded) tome with the 'truth'.

But there is no real truth, not since the great sundering. Each time Ao must reset his world, he makes it so most lost things are forgotten. That is Faerūn's deepest secret, and the only real truth - it is not just the paths that have been forgotten, but the lands and peoples themselves.

Kindoms come, and empires go, and whole races arrive on Toril, and sometimes they also leave... one way or another. What was a mountain range yesterday could be a vast swamp tomorrow, and by the time your children have children of their own, no-one will remember what was.

If you ask a Planer, he'll just laugh and tell you Primes are all clueless - the simple fact is nothing in the universe is constant. It is a living, breathing thing that is constantly in flux. The few primes who managed to escape the Domains of dread speak of them like they are something out of nightmare, a land where everyone and everything changes all the time, and no-one remembers. What they don't realize is that it happens on their worlds as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  21:13:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some numbers have been quoted in various scrolls (like this one), although I can't confirm their source or validity. Spelljammer data for Toril is too vague and categorical to provide any specific answers to your questions.

I do recall once trying to work out some basic astronomical data, gravitation and orbital mechanics, tidal volumes, apparent size of Selūne as viewed by an observer on Toril's surface, stuff like that - and I quickly discovered that, as described, the mathematics and physics (that we understand) do not apply very well to Toril or Realmspace. The world of the Realms is synonymous with our own, but not identical nor even compatible - making things "fit" would require a great many arbitrary (and "unrealistic") assumptions about or changes to the planetary data provided. Magic and "divine" designs are obviously more influential in governing the Toril system than the "slightly out of phase physics" which govern ours.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 May 2012 21:30:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000