Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ravenloft
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  04:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes and great ones of the keepers of Candlekeep
I am in the process of obtaining the boxed set of Ravenloft as I am much of a fan of Forgotten Realms I would like to bring back Ravenloft. I got my boxed set on Amazon and I'am waiting for it to come in the mail but if thier are any interested in finding rules, characters,events lords of the domain and feats of any kind I would wish to talk with you. I would also like to start a campaign.
Storm

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  06:18:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I would recommend that you shift this discussion over to the Fraternity of Shadows boards which deals exclusively with the RAVENLOFT setting.

Candlekeep is purely for FORGOTTEN REALMS discussion (see the Forum Code of Conduct in my sig) -- so unless you intend on relating your RL campaign to the Realms in some way you aren't likely to garner the type of help you're looking for here at Candlekeep.

If however you are looking for a crossover campaign between the Realms and the Domains of Dread... then by all means continue posting in this scroll as I'm sure there are plenty of RL and Realms fans alike who are willing to help out (I myself am one of them ).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Mar 2006 06:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  06:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Sage, I thought this forum was for non related topics of forgotten realms. I ordered that book too and would like to take people up on that offer. I will have to continue learning what is appropriate as I am new.
Storm
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  07:20:35  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a note, unless someone has heard otherwise.

If you want to get the 3E Ravenloft material put out by White Wolf, you better get it now.
If I recall correctly they no longer have the rights to the campaign setting, so those books are "collectiables" now. Especially since WotC has put out Heroes of Horror.

My local game store has ALL of their 3E Ravenloft stuff in their markdown area.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  07:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Warlocko,
I'ts been awhile since I delved into Ravenloft since 1996
but the crossover sage was talkin about is something I'm looking foward to. I had not known they sold the rights no wonder I can't find much material in this matter. I have how ever found some sources for this endeavor and am looking foward to catching up on forgotten realms material as well as the above mentioned. I paid double the weight in gold for the purchases and the novels are something Iam in the process of buying. Thanks for your response.
Storm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  13:34:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Sorry Sage, I thought this forum was for non related topics of forgotten realms. I ordered that book too and would like to take people up on that offer. I will have to continue learning what is appropriate as I am new.
Storm

Just core D&D I'm afraid... .

That includes everything published for the 3e/3.5e generic D&D -- simply, not campaign-specific material.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  16:58:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides which, most of us are here because we are specifically Realms fans. While this doesn't preclude knowledge of other settings -- I've got some of the old RL material, some of the old DL material, some of the new Eberron material, and all of the old Spelljammer material -- it just means that we're here to talk about the Realms. For some of our scribes, the Realms is all they know when it comes to settings...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  18:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All thought it *could* be argued that Spelljammer can be discussed on this forum as several sourcebooks mention flying ships and a certian elven armada floating above Toril...

As for a Ravenloft crossover try The Forgotten Terror a module which take part in both Faerun and the Domais of Dread.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  18:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

All thought it *could* be argued that Spelljammer can be discussed on this forum as several sourcebooks mention flying ships and a certian elven armada floating above Toril...

As for a Ravenloft crossover try The Forgotten Terror a module which take part in both Faerun and the Domais of Dread.

Hanx
Elrond

There are repeated references in Realmslore to spelljamming. We have the Rock of Bral being placed in the Tears of Selûne, the elven ship that that green dracolich is trying to merge with (the name escapes me), the wrecked elven armada in the Sea of Fallen Stars that is now an undersea "forest", references in fiction to spelljamming (including the use of an illithid nautiloid in Finder's Bane... So long as we keep the spelljamming discussions limited to Realmspace, it's all good.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  21:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought spelljammer and ravenloft were supposed to compliment the players' campaign setting... in fact specifically forgotten realms... but i guess im wrong. (being born in 87 doesnt help much)anywho i really like the flexibility of ravenloft even if im not a big fan of the cs in general. It might be neat to try and work something out where larloch has created ravenloft or something if you want to merge them together. (that idea comes from having read the larloch post recently this morning)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  21:40:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

i thought spelljammer and ravenloft were supposed to compliment the players' campaign setting... in fact specifically forgotten realms...

Spelljammer was. Not only was it its own discrete setting, but it also connected several other settings that were active at the time: the Realms, Krynn (Dragginglance), Oerth (Greyhawk), and, assumably, any worlds the DM felt like creating. It did not favor any of those settings over any others. Spelljammer did not connect to the Red Steel, Dark Sun, or Birthright worlds.

Planescape did the same thing, but it did it via the planes. Spelljammer did it via space -- which was part of the intent of the setting, to take D&D to space.

Ravenloft was another story. While it is possible to get out of Ravenloft (if you're incredibly lucky!), going there was pretty much a one-way trip. The Mists of Ravenloft could reach into the other settings and grab people or even bits of land. I can't recall if the Mists could reach into Dark Sun, but I do know that they could reach into any of the three main campaign worlds (Toril, Krynn, and Oerth), and also into space (where the Mists would appear to be a small nebula that showed up out of nowhere, swallowed something, and then disappeared).

So, while Spelljammer was kind of a compliment to the other main settings, it was also a setting in its own right, one that allowed free passage to the other settings. A Spelljammer campaign could start in any setting before moving into space, and it could be played in any of those settings, moving back and forth between them.

A Ravenloft campaign could start in any setting, but once you were there, the rest of your campaign would likely revolve around just making it out. Theoretically, you could use Ravenloft to move between the various settings, but that's a dangerous and difficult way to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  22:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wooly do you know why it didnt connect to dark sun (one of my other favorite campaign settings) or red steel [which no one liked anyway] etc?

also 1 way trip of ravenloft might allow you to use it as an afterlife setting... or an eternal imprisonment after the pcs mess up real bad! heheh

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  00:42:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

wooly do you know why it didnt connect to dark sun (one of my other favorite campaign settings) or red steel [which no one liked anyway] etc?

also 1 way trip of ravenloft might allow you to use it as an afterlife setting... or an eternal imprisonment after the pcs mess up real bad! heheh

Ravenloft does connect to Athas.

Other than Ravenloft connecting to Athas, nearly all information we have regarding Athas is that it is extremely isolated from the rest of the Crystal Spheres.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  00:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah kinda confusing when RL is a one way trip. If only the demiplane could be traveled on both ends. Reading the beginning pages of the domain of dread says that travel back from Ravenloft is almost impossible except by the mist returning them to their lands or by finding the artifact of Rift Spanner made by night hag Styrix.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  01:13:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

Hanx
Elrond

There are repeated references in Realmslore to spelljamming. We have the Rock of Bral being placed in the Tears of Selûne, the elven ship that that green dracolich is trying to merge with (the name escapes me), the wrecked elven armada in the Sea of Fallen Stars that is now an undersea "forest", references in fiction to spelljamming (including the use of an illithid nautiloid in Finder's Bane... So long as we keep the spelljamming discussions limited to Realmspace, it's all good.

And of course we have the Imperial Elven Navy embassy in Evermeet -- the center of all IEN spelljamming activity on the island.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  01:19:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Theoretically, you could use Ravenloft to move between the various settings, but that's a dangerous and difficult way to do it.
Theoretically, yes.

However, it is much easier for both the DM and the players involved to find another method of planar travel to alternate settings. The Domains of Dread were built to be largely inaccessible... and thus, should remain so.

It's also worth noting that travel to different settings using Ravenloft was likely easier in 2e than it is (was) in 3e. A demiplane floating in the Ethereal provides some interesting twists for the DM about how you can use RL as a point to travel through to alternate settings. In 3e, we really have no idea where RL actually resides (theories suggest its own Prime Material Plane, to several demiplanes joined together... or even, a planet itself).

-- And there you go... see how easy it is to get off the track of the Realms and start talking about something else .

Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  02:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh great one, Ive started the domain of dread book and in there it says that the demiplane is a "self contained pocket dimension that that hangs in the Etheral Plane", now refering to the core Dungeons Masters guide to Plane Descriptions it says that the "Etheral Plane
is a misty fog bound dimension that co-exhisits with the material plane". So considering both sources I would speculate in my novice wisdom that staying away from extraplanar travel so early in my scribship should be avoided.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  02:16:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Domains of Dread should provide everything you need for running RL as it is -- a demiplane realm floating in the Ethereal. The planar sections in the DMG should also be enough for you to determine the basics of the generic D&D cosmology.

Or, you could pick up the 1e/2e Manual of the Planes as well as its 3e counterpart and learn just as much as many others have about how the planes work in each edition of D&D .

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  02:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm something: the Demiplane of Imprisonment mentioned in the 1e MotP was developed into Ravenloft, right?
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  02:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree to a certain extent with the sage; that being that the "Domains of Dread were built to be largely inaccessible" certainly this is true. However it probably should be noted, with due caution that the introduction of Ravenloft to a campaign should set a very different campaign feel. The domains of Dread should not have a high fantasy feel nor should it be a hack and slash campaign (in my humble opinion) rather the beauty of Ravenloft (all be it a dark and macabre beauty) is it’s role-playing opportunities. All of a sudden the players find themselves in a place that definitely isn't cansis!

There is a large hack'n'slay under current to Ravenloft and I truly believe that this has been created, or at least, reinforced by TSRs advertisements for the campaign setting. Adverts such as "In Ravenloft there are no random encounters only deadly ones" appeal to a different audience than what Ravenloft was truly trying to reach... at least during some of the RL periods. I could actually go on all night, however this is a Forgotten Realms Forum, I'm tired, have work tomorrow and Alaundo is hiding somewhere with a large blunt weapon and believe me isn't fun to be hit with!

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  06:43:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Just to confirm something: the Demiplane of Imprisonment mentioned in the 1e MotP was developed into Ravenloft, right?

For the most part. Although it's never been completely confirmed.

The designers of RL were once noted as claiming that the "dark and chaotic force" mentioned in the 1e MotP formed part of the basis behind the Dark Powers.

Of course, given their connection to the Lower Planes... it's easy to see why theories of the Dark Powers actually being Baernaloths have taken such hold on the RL community as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  14:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Other than Ravenloft connecting to Athas, nearly all information we have regarding Athas is that it is extremely isolated from the rest of the Crystal Spheres.

i meant spelljammer... but that works too in a way.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  17:33:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

i meant spelljammer... but that works too in a way.

Not only is Athas exceedingly isolated from the rest of the Known Spheres, I seem to recall a reference to the sphere (Darkspace?) being totally sealed -- so even if you could find Athas's crystal sphere, you couldn't get in.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  00:38:41  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not only is Athas exceedingly isolated from the rest of the Known Spheres, I seem to recall a reference to the sphere (Darkspace?) being totally sealed -- so even if you could find Athas's crystal sphere, you couldn't get in.

Yeah, I recall something along those lines as well.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  00:50:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I recall something along those lines as well.

It is. Athasspace/Darkspace is largely a no-go zone for spelljammers thanks largely to the presence of the Gray -- a negative energy field which isolates Athas from the rest of the cosmology.

Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  23:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something like the Negative Energy Plane that is referenced to the DM core Rulebook 3.5, Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  00:27:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, in 3e, yes. But the Gray was built using the 2e interpretation of the planes.

If you're looking for a more in-depth account, I would suggest you pick up WotC's official DS update for 3e in DRAGON #319 and DUNGEON #110. It doesn't provide a whole lot of detail about the workings of Gray, but it does give you some idea about how it relates to the planes in 3e.

-- And now, back to the Realmslore...

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2006 00:29:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000