Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sisters of St. Jasper of the Rocks Monastery
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CCC32
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  15:01:07  Show Profile  Visit CCC32's Homepage Send CCC32 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have looked intently online including this site for information about where the Monastery for the Sisters of St. Jasper of the Rocks is located. My wife wishes to play a monk of this order but i dont really have much information about it. Any further information would be highly appreciated.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:08:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To whom is this order dedicated?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:12:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a rough online reference to St. Jasper being in someway related to Ilmater... but that doesn't connect with anything in the Realmslore as far as I recall.

Where did you find this reference CCC32?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CCC32
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:49:03  Show Profile  Visit CCC32's Homepage Send CCC32 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sisters are dedicated to Ilmater. In Faiths and Pantheons there is a brief mention of the Sisters of St. Jasper in the description of Ilmater, and that is where my wife became interested, but no mention of where they would be located or any information about them. We searched online and found a small paragraph describing them as a female only group dedicated to Ilmater and the suffering of women due to childbirth and such, which only made her more interested, but it had no other information. www.davidcwood.com/adnd/campaign/bloodstone/ilmater.php
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  18:01:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCC32

The Sisters are dedicated to Ilmater. In Faiths and Pantheons there is a brief mention of the Sisters of St. Jasper in the description of Ilmater, and that is where my wife became interested, but no mention of where they would be located or any information about them.

Faiths & Avatars didn't seem to have much info on them, either. All I saw was a reference to them as an affiliated order.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  18:18:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its kind of a mixed blessing. I doubt much WILL be metioned about them, so if you end up developing your own details, they aren't likely to be contradicted. I asked about some of the saints associated with Ilmater a while back, and I think the concensus is that Ilmater has a lot of saints and that most of them are regionally recognized.

Now if only we know what Rocks they are of, we could pin down the geographic location!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:18:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCC32

www.davidcwood.com/adnd/campaign/bloodstone/ilmater.php
Ah, that's the online reference I was referring to above.

Strange that further source materials wasn't mentioned as a source.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:19:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Faiths & Avatars didn't seem to have much info on them, either. All I saw was a reference to them as an affiliated order.
And the F&P WE doesn't provide anything to go on for this order either .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  01:33:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Now if only we know what Rocks they are of, we could pin down the geographic location!

I don't recall any specific location in the Realms referred to as just the Rocks.

Hmmm... I'm going to dig through some of the older 1e/2e materials.

Go to Top of Page

CCC32
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  02:46:12  Show Profile  Visit CCC32's Homepage Send CCC32 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for trying to help us. I'd appreciate anything you come up with and am going to keep looking too. If we can't find anything, I think she is going to come up with some stuff on her own, but would probably rather not! :)
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  08:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that 'of the Rocks' is describing a location, I think it may be describing something that was of import to St. Jasper's life, or possibly his death. Much as the RW St. Anthony is sometimes called St. Anthony of the Lost.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  01:39:18  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete guess here, but "the rocks" conjures a coastal image to me -- whether it be an island or a rocky cliff overlooking the ocean.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  19:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy enough, for those who really want to place it, to make the Jasperian abbey a heretofore unmentioned site somewhere outside of the settlements on the Dragon's Head peninsula in Tethyr (if for no other reason than it sounds coastal and Tethyr has an established history with tons of abbeys and monasteries to Ilmater within its boundaries).

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  04:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres 2 chains of islands off Tethyr one called the Raking rocks and another called the Singing Rocks

Theres a Lone Rock off Procampur in the Sea of Fallen Stars

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  04:41:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course the Wayrock. There are also the Rockshaws in the High Moor. What about the Arnrock in the Lake of Steam?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  05:00:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And of course the Wayrock. There are also the Rockshaws in the High Moor. What about the Arnrock in the Lake of Steam?

-- George Krashos

Hmmm... Given the fact the Arnrock is a volcano... the possibility of having the faithful of Ilmater construct a monastery there makes for some interesting considerations. Not the least of which that enduring the sufferage of living in such an environment would be quite the demonstration of each worshipper's strength of their faith.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000