Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erevis Cale Trilogy Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xenoss
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  12:59:18  Show Profile  Visit xenoss's Homepage Send xenoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am wondering if this is a rogues based story? (without spoilers please) I am not so much wondering if the main character is a rogue (I sort of know it) but I want to know whether or not this is a rogue-ish story.

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  14:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, for the most part. The 'Erevis Cale' trilogy storyline picks up from Cale's exploits in the Sembia series of books.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  17:41:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, no, and it is a lot more than that. It's a lot more difficult to reply without spoilers Paul Kemp did a great job on the entire trilogy and I look forward to the follow up trilogy coming out
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  20:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmmm, looks like we're going to get a mixed bag of responses here I wouldn't say it's a rogue series, but it depends on what you're expecting to read by saying this, xenoss.

Cale is more removed from his roots in this trilogy, although there are elements of rogue behaviour, certainly within the first book.

Mayhaps Paul S Kemp would be best answering thy question

Regardless, it is an outstanding trilogy and I HIGHLY recommend it

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  21:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three of the main characters are rogues but i would not say it is a rogue theme. it sounds to me as if you are asking wehter or not the story is based on his skills as a rogue. for example needs to go steal an artifact from a temple and needs to use his steath, lock picking, disarm traps etc. If that sort of thing is what you meant then no I would not say it is a rogue ish story. But as i said some of the mai ncharacters are rogues and do use thier abilities and such but the storyline of the book goes much further. It is an excellent trilogy and I would suggest picking it up wether it is what you were seeking or not.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  23:11:14  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tales of Erevis Cale presented in the Sembia series (The Halls of Stormweather seven part series) were much more rogueish.

By the Erevis Cale Trilogy, the characters have definitely evolved beyond mere rogues. Definitely a fantastic read.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

xenoss
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Visit xenoss's Homepage Send xenoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sembia series I havent read. I am planning to get Shadow's Witness along with the Cale trilogy, but do I need to read the other Sembia books as well? Or are they all stand alone stories set in the same setting Sembia?

I am not exactly familiar with Sembia (in novel OR game terms). Is it a general FR setting or more exotic like Halruua?
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  02:13:21  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need to read them, but they are good and Erevis is rather prominant in most of them. They are all stand-alone books that build upon each other. All can be enjoyed individually, but they work even better as a whole. If money's an issue, you may want to see if your local library has them or can get them for you.

In the past, Sembia was one of the "blank spots on the map", left for DM's to tailor to their own games, so don't feel too bad that you aren't as familiar with it. That's not so much the case anymore, but there isn't as much stuff out there on Sembia as there is for settings like Cormyr and the Dales.

The Sembia series focuses far more on the city of Selgaunt, rather than all of Sembia, but definitely allows one to draw conclusions of the realm and character of its people. Its certainly more of a general FR setting and not so exotic. If you have access to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, it should more than prepare you for things. The only real twist Sembia offers is that even moreso than other locales, wealth makes right. It is one of the biggest plutocracies in the realms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000