Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Worst threat to Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  18:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i know it was just a mistake...
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  20:54:56  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, You Cyric (not the deity mind you) are the worst threat to Faerun ....joking... maybe?
Actually I'm not that far off. It's adventurers that are the worst threat to Faerun as in their attempt to right every wrong (Or cause it, depending on the "adventuring" party's point of view and alignemnt) they end up upsetting local economies with their bags of gold and loot. Kick up the local monster's and tribes, continually badger locals for information about some odd occurence, that rare tome, or this sacred/lost item/weapon/what not.
They prove a bad example for the kids and deal in powers they shouldn't. Yep, It's them thar fool adventurers that are to blame!
Corruptin' th' young an' flingin' 'em speels. It's enough to drive a simple man ta drink! What's they need is a good whipin' behind the wood shed!

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jaysen Darclyght
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2003 :  12:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Jaysen Darclyght's Homepage Send Jaysen Darclyght a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric you misunderstood me. Villians are fun to play as, and they might be ones to further progress. However, that is not true progress. That is destructive progress, the kind that will never lead to anything good. The people who hamper true progress are villians, but not in the Artemis Entreri sense, more in the Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin sense. People who should be sent to Nuremburg to stand trial for gross crimes against humanity. Progress, true progress, is always good. Progress by villians is not true progress. That is a progress that will lead to the destruction of their society.
Adventurers maybe a threat to Faerun. But then again, what if there was no adventurers? Faerun would not be where it is today.
To truly develop as a world, Faerun, and the whole of Toril for that matter must have these threats so that there will be counter threats and that tension will lead to growth.
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2003 :  19:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure the evil Gods are always a threat to the peace in Faerun but the biggest threat of all are humans in general and their ceaseless expansion. Hummanity, with their short lifespans, fickle nature and anthropocentric attitudes can quickly alter the face of Toril permanently. But, consider human nature combined with the power of magic and you have trouble...which brings up the nation of Thay. Imagine what could happen if the Thayan zulkirs decided to combine their efforts to accomplish something drastic. Who could stop them? Aglarond? Rashemen? Aglarond, Rashemen, Impiltur, Cormyr and the other good nations combined? How about Elminster and his merry men? Without the intervention of divine powers I bet nothing could resist them...especially if they have already infiltrated numerous cities as it is.

On another note, I think the drow in general are not as big of a threat as some might guess. Due to Lolth's silence and their recent infighting (resulting in the destuction of Ched Nasad) their power has weakened considerably and besides, drow aren't known for their large overall population and willingness to "work together".

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  01:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am not sure what you mean by stopping progres now i was thinking about gunpowder and things of scienc, that i hope wil never come to the forgotten realms. And Long live Cyric just had to say it
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  02:34:05  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maecenus, I don't really agree with what you say about the nation of Thay. It's true that they are very powerful, whether it's economically or military. However, they were the ones that were defeated many times in wars with Algarond. Thay was also the nation that suggested a peace treaty with Algarond. As long as the Simbul is still the queen (which is a very long time!), Thay will not try to risk trying to dominate Faerun.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:31:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted the Simbul is a powerful being, but even her powers have limits. If Thay chose to undermine the powers and governments surrounding Aglarond, thereby weakening the nation's (and the Simbul's) allies (whether overtly or covertly), there is little doubt on how much the Simbul can actually do to halt Thay.

It could be that Thay will choose to isolate Aglarond from the rest of the Realms...without strong allies and support from her neighbours, even the Simbul will eventually fall...

It's not really a question of whether 'Thay will not try to risk trying to dominate Faerun', more like Thay can't risk not dominating the rest of Faerun, in an attempt to conquer Aglarond.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  16:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thnik she could do it, after all she killed hundreds of Devils in The nine hells.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  20:25:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Sage, I understand what you are saying and I quite agree. But who could actually stop the expansion of Thay? The Moonstars? Harpers? Maybe the Lord's Alliance but they are way up North.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  20:46:22  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That in itself is a question. For then why haven't they conquer Faerun? Answer, Why Conquer, when it is easier to make money and deal. As a famous Adventuress once said:

" So have you thought about what will you do AFTER you become king?"

" I... I don't know"

" It's always the same, You people always try to get the throne without any thought of what your going to do once you get it."

Perhaps Thay is actually thinking for once, and found that it doesn't have an answer

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  22:09:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal, Thay is trying to conquer Faerun. Except now they are doing it through trade and not through arms and military might. They learned from the many defeats with Rashemen and Algarond. Many cities have Thay enclaves because the low-cost and powerful items created by the Red Wizards are just too good to resist.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  05:37:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly right.

Thay's change of methodology in terms of conquering the Realms is what is the main focus here. By becoming a integral supplier of magical items and supplies to the cities they have enclaves in, those same nations and cities may be reluctant to stand against any decision or move that Thay makes, mainly because they don't want to jeopardise the nice deal they have with the Thayvan enclaves.

It's rather 'sneaky' what Thay is actually doing, but I think they're going to extraordinary lengths to make sure that other countries want, even need their connections with Thay. That in itself poses more of a danger to political stablility across the Realms than any one army ever could.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  05:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with some of the scribes here that the Time of Troubles was the greatest event that shook the world off it's foundations. Not only was every living creature on Faerun threatened with their existence, but so too were the Gods (except AO).

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  15:27:36  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry sage But I have to disagree. I do not see Thay as a real threat to Toril in general. Yes, perhaps a risk to those who put an over dependence on them, but as a real threat? No. The Church of
* Looks around*
Cyric now that is a real threat. That is a most unbelieveable group of fanatics that seem to, no matter how you try flourish. Even under the maddness of their deity, they didn't get routed out. They are like weeds, springing up everywhere and although they seem to fall in bushels, there are always more. Not The Church of the the Dark Sun is a true threat.

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  17:26:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Church of Cyric is a great threat because now they are focused on fighting the Church of Bane. There are many battles in the Dalelands between the two churches for domination. They are too involved in battle to find time to dominate Faerun.

However, I think the Nightmasks of Westgate are becoming a threat. If you have read the Lord of Darkness manual, they mention of how they are expanding very fast, perhaps growing to be as powerful as the Shadow Thieves.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  19:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No the church of Cyric is the most dangerus threat to Faerun since like Cardinal said, the church of Cyric as always growing even when losing and we are at all major citys and it is onley one part of the church that fights the curch of Bane, and they wil son be crushe the church of Bane any way. and lets face it where els do you find crazy killers who would take his own life if it meant to take yours...
And the Nightmasks of Westgate i think wil be crushed by the Tyr paladins and clerics in the city they know what they are doing after all. And this proves that Cyric is all powerful his church wil claim all the lands whahahahahaahha.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  23:05:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, can you for once not be so biased? Lol. Cyric's church isn't the most powerful since he lost a bit of power in the Cyrinishad Fiasco plus the resurrection of Bane. In the Zhentarim, only the Citadel of the Ravens have a strong presence of Cyricists, and those are going to be soon elminated or converted by Fzoul and his fellow Banites.
Also, yes everyone knows the Nightmasks operate in Westgate, kinda like how everyone knows the Shadow Thieves control Amn. However, the identities of the Nightmasks' inner council is unknown to any of the outsiders. Nobody, not even some of the guild members know that the Nightmasks are controlled by vampires. So who are the Paladins of Tyr and the clerics going to attack? The guild members? Sure, but they are always replaceable, and I doubt the nobles would let them do that since the Nightmasks control them too.

One threat against Faerun that was never mentioned and not widely known is the "End of Creation". If you have the 3rd Edition of the Faiths and Pantheons manual, there is a little section under Oghma about how Leira casted a powerful spell that created jumbles of words. If these words are formed back into a text and then read, it will result in which nothing will be created. On that day forth, artists will stare blankly at canvas and philosphers will be mute to his students and Binder (another name for Oghma) will fade from existence.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  23:41:08  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well according to Lords of Darkness Cyric's clergy is still the most numerous together with the ammount that worship him, surpassing that of Shar and Bane. And that's after the return of Bane and the Cyrinishad debacle. In fact, the ammount of worshipers Cyric has is more than that of Bane and Shar put together.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  00:18:29  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cherrn, that's going to change soon. After all, Bane has only been back for a few years, not even.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  01:52:14  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it will. After all, the one's Cyric has lost to Bane upon Bane's return were already loyal to Bane. When he wasn't around they just went for the best alternative which was Cyric. Cyric wont loose anymore worshipers as far as I see it. The one's who wanted to change to another deity has done so already.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  02:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

No the church of Cyric is the most dangerus threat to Faerun since like Cardinal said, the church of Cyric as always growing even when losing and we are at all major citys and it is onley one part of the church that fights the curch of Bane, and they wil son be crushe the church of Bane any way. and lets face it where els do you find crazy killers who would take his own life if it meant to take yours...
And the Nightmasks of Westgate i think wil be crushed by the Tyr paladins and clerics in the city they know what they are doing after all. And this proves that Cyric is all powerful his church wil claim all the lands whahahahahaahha.

Geez, you just don't stop, do you?
Alaundo, you should cut off all divine and arcane magic in the keep that is granted to followers of Cyric, then see how his tune changes.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  02:32:59  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane magic isn't granted Shadowlord

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  15:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No true follower of Cyric would leave and that is most of his followers and i doubht that the ones in Citadel of the Ravens wil lose to Fzoul he has given his word not to attack the Keep and all lands that way to khelben and if he loses it he cant do a thing.
And the fire knifes know all about them and there leader is loking for a way to kill them, they just ally with the Tyrist and slay them. And in the Lords of Darkness in say that Shar is going to ally with Cyric who can stopp them ??? No one whahaha Cyric wil rule all
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  20:08:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, sure the Fireknives know of them. But can they actually do anything about it? The Nightmasks can wipe them out easily but they just keep them around to do tasks that cannot be tied to them. BTW, Shar ally with Cyric? Lol. Ever heard of the quote, "There are no permanent allies, just permanent interests"? If Shar could find a way to destroy Cyric and take his powers, she would do it in a heartbeat.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  20:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

Arcane magic isn't granted Shadowlord

I know that, but I was typing fast. I meant to say, 'You should cut off the arcane magic wielded by followers of Cyric' Happy now, Cherrn?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  22:16:27  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

I know that, but I was typing fast. I meant to say, 'You should cut off the arcane magic wielded by followers of Cyric' Happy now, Cherrn?

Oh you know I'm never happy Shadowlord, I always have to complain about something

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  22:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must be the Danish blood in you.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:12:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric will never again approach the level of power and ability he enjoyed in the pre-resurrection of Bane era. Unless there is something to change the current deitific power structure, Cyric will never have the opportunity to work his own particular brand of mayhem, thus providing a stable powerbase from which to work from.

I also think, that given his past history, his fellow deities will always keep their third-eye on him, always working to make sure the situations of his past are never repeated.

Bane has, and always will, continue to present a greater threat (than Cyric) to the political, and social life of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  17:08:47  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
One threat against Faerun that was never mentioned and not widely known is the "End of Creation". If you have the 3rd Edition of the Faiths and Pantheons manual, there is a little section under Oghma about how Leira casted a powerful spell that created jumbles of words. If these words are formed back into a text and then read, it will result in which nothing will be created. On that day forth, artists will stare blankly at canvas and philosphers will be mute to his students and Binder (another name for Oghma) will fade from existence.

Since Cyric has assumed Leira's portfolio, is this now a plot of Cyric's? That may make him a greater potential threat than commonly thought...
Are we in for another Cyrinishad debacle?
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  17:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never say never god sir Sage. And its Shar who wants this and she is not all bad she is on god terms with several lesser gods who she could kill at a heartbeat and i think she wil not betray him and she can just bring it on Cyric wil slay her if it comes to it.
And the leader of the fire knifes is pretty powerful i think he can take him, and they are not usles and could put up a god fight i rather like the fire knifes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000