Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of the Elves: "Traitors"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  13:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "Traitors", by Richard Lee Byers, from the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Please discuss herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  20:22:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed seeing this story tie in to "The Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy as the rage's origins were fleshed out. A wonderful start to the anthology and some really memorable characters.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  06:43:57  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the story was on par from this author's offerings in the past. I have read his fiction from both FR and other settings. Always good.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  07:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Cam Beul
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  01:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Cam Beul's Homepage Send Cam Beul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent story so far, though I've not yet finished it.

I noticed on page 65, that the Black Archer was mentioned. However, the story takes place 15,090 years before the Ilythiri were banished to become the drow, whom Shevarash hates with a passion.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  01:37:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the time interaction of dieties is not the same as for mortals, so it clearly is posible the Black Archer was about before he became a deity as far as mortals are concerned. *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  01:44:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cam Beul

Excellent story so far, though I've not yet finished it.

I noticed on page 65, that the Black Archer was mentioned. However, the story takes place 15,090 years before the Ilythiri were banished to become the drow, whom Shevarash hates with a passion.

I caught that, too, and it did kinda throw me...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  02:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the attempted save, Kentinal. If I were Stan Lee, I'd give you a No Prize.
And for anyone who doesn't buy Kentinal's valiant attempt to bail me out, sorry if I goofed. Glad it was on a point that is no way central to the story.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  03:11:46  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really loved the story. I havn't read any of the Year of the Rogue Dragons Trilogy yet so it left me a little confused, but I figured it had to tie in with that series somewhere. I'm trying to figure out the significance of the comet at the end. Was it a strange phenomenon, a Godly curse or a VERY powerful spell casted by Winterflower after 89 years of studying the spells in those tomes? I'm assuming that all of my questions will be answered by reading the Year of the Rogue Dragons Trilogy. A very good story and it has me wanting to stop everything and start reading the trilogy, but luckly my saving throw was high enough to resist your enchantment.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  03:43:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The King-Killer star has long be associated with Dragon Rages.

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  04:03:02  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood the effects of this comet and why it was named " The King Killer". My question is to why it has this effect over Dragons and does it give me a full explanation in The Year of the Rogue Dragons Trilogy?

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  06:25:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine that dragons have some sort of mystical connection to stars. The King-Killer would be like a celestial aberration -- it messes up their normal connection. It would be almost like a virus or something that made a periodic outbreak. By itself, it's not enough to do much other than make dragons a bit more susceptible to other things. Add in the magic edge, link it to the star, and suddenly the dragons have got real problems.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  06:42:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Dragons of Faerūn" will likely go a long way to answering your queries re the King Killer Star and the Rage effect created by the elves. As for the Black Archer reference, as I haven't read the short story in question, I can't comment. Just out of curiousity, did the name Shevarash accompany the Black Archer reference, or not? If not, then there's a whole field of realmslore possibilities that I could throw up to explain this.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  11:24:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Dragons of Faerūn" will likely go a long way to answering your queries re the King Killer Star and the Rage effect created by the elves. As for the Black Archer reference, as I haven't read the short story in question, I can't comment. Just out of curiousity, did the name Shevarash accompany the Black Archer reference, or not? If not, then there's a whole field of realmslore possibilities that I could throw up to explain this.

-- George Krashos

Nope, it just said Black Archer.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  17:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the story, darkcrow. I think that if you read the trilogy and my story in Realms of the Dragons, you'll understand what's obscure if you only read the novella. I hope so, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  01:16:53  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard. I can't wait to dig into them stories. I hope you do the REALMS OF WAR also. Your work are always an exciting read.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  22:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent story! And it ties into YotRD trilogy which I have recent read the first two parts of. I liked Winterflower's deception, it was wonderful how she tricked both of them and used them against each other.

My only question is did Winterflower summon the king killer or did the tome she had only hint at the coming of the king killer?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  23:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it. Beezy. The answer to your question is

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Winterflower did not create or summon the King Killer. Like a comet in the real world, the King Killer appears in the sky when its orbit is right. What Winterflower (and a whole cabal of elven mages) did was to create a curse that draws power from the particular combination of heavenly forces that exists when the comet draws near enough to Toril to be visible.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  05:52:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Winterflower did not create or summon the King Killer. Like a comet in the real world, the King Killer appears in the sky when its orbit is right. What Winterflower (and a whole cabal of elven mages) did was to create a curse that draws power from the particular combination of heavenly forces that exists when the comet draws near enough to Toril to be visible.

Why did they pick that one, and not a celestial body that appears more frequently or even continuously? Had they done either option, I imagine that dragons would be incredibly rare in the Realms by now...

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  06:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooly: They actually were only interested in doing it once, so the frequency with which the comet appears didn't concern them. What did concern them was that the comet created the necessary conditions for what they wanted to do. Nobody knew how to create them without the comet until Sammaster, crazy genius that he is, got involved.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  07:14:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did the comet create these conditions? Is it like I theorized above (the 6:25 post on 10 February)?

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  08:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent. Thanks for the reply and the clarification. I am eagerly awaiting book III to see how it all ends.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  14:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Wooly, that's basically it. The concept is that dragons are inherently magical creatures, hence tied to the primal forces and processes of the cosmos, including what happens in the heavens.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  17:01:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, Wooly, that's basically it. The concept is that dragons are inherently magical creatures, hence tied to the primal forces and processes of the cosmos, including what happens in the heavens.

Coo! I'm glad to know I was on the right track. Will this be explored more fully in The Ruin?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  22:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, to a degree. Although I'm not going to make it make sense in scientific terms, because, you know, this is fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  22:21:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as it goes the comet could be a one time visitor never to return again, this of course depends on the source if it. However one time visitors can exist under science, the sling shot effect just changing its path though the cosmos. *Grin*

With magic of course the comet could be stored until it is decided to be used again.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  05:51:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this one. I was very happy with it, and the Black Archer comment did jump out at me, but there wasn't enough really tied to the comment to cause any problem with the story itself. Just a bit of a speed bump. I like it when the greater good is done, and things actually do work out, but the hero ends up sacrificing himself. Especially when he knows he will. Why? Because it doesn't then always feel like the heroes are "badly wounded, but then got better." Not that I want my heroes dropping dead every other chapter, but once in a while, yeah sure. (BTW, the Marvel reference has prompted the part of my mind that ponders such things to point this out . . . there is actually a mechanic built into the Realms that allows characters to come back from the dead, and yet fewer Realmsian characters come back from the dead than say your average X-Man . . . even when said death was originally very moving . . . yeah, I'm not happy that Colossus is back . . . but I digress)

One of the things I like about RLB is that he isn't easily pigeon holed. Some writers seem to think that every character needs to have a dark side, and that no one is truly noble, and that somewhere in the story you have to see their dark side, and if they profess to be good, their dark side has to be even more heinous. Other writers write good characters that never seem to have any moral delimas, and just march toward their glorious heroic destinies. RLB doesn't seem too tied down to one type of protagonist. He can write the good guys that are pretty much good, he can write the roguish with a dark streak but a good heart, he can write the nasty but interesting (honestly, Pharaun was at his best in your book), and the sympathetic but evil characters. Of course, in this particular story, you had characters that seemed to be a little more in the gray, although I do think that Winterflower was essentially a good person in a bad place, and that Rhespen was basically a good soldier that had convinced himself that he had fewer options than he really did.

I have noticed that Winterflower espouses a sort of "code of the spy" in the story, that reminded me of your Turmish spy from Queen of the Depths. Given the chance, Richard, would you write about more Realmsian spies, or have these two played out that vein for you?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  14:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Knight. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
So far I have enjoyed writing about FR spies and can certainly imagine myself doing more with such characters. But of course it all depends on the requirements of the plot. If, for example, WotC asks me for a book about barbarians running around in the wilderness, spies may not fit in very well.
To me, the thing that was interesting about Colossus's resurrection is that there was virtually no attempt made to justify or explain it. Comic book characters have always had a habit of coming back from the dead, but the writers used to try to make it somewhat plausible. Now, I guess, they feel that this convention of the superhero genre is so firmly established and universally accepted by the readers that they don't even have to bother.
I think this hurts the quality of the stories, but of course that's just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Richard, I loved it! the whole story, the characters...I actually saw the gold king as a cruel tyrant at the end. My questions: What happened to Winterflower after the Rage began and was overthrowing the overlords worth it?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  02:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Ethriel.
I assume that Winterflower continued to work against the dragons. Beyond that, I don't know, Maybe the details will come to me someday, and then I'll have the material for another story.
Was overthrowing the overlords worth it? I guess that's a judgment call you can make for yourself. Consider the world that you get a glimpse of in "Traitors," compare it to what came after (in other words, the Realms as they currently are), and see which one you prefer.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  03:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also gotta ask...did Rhespen and Winterflower really love one another in the end? Call me a romantic...

My one criticism was the end was a bit rushed, we didn't find out what happened to our other villains, after all....(I assume the dragon prince died same as dad, but as for the human mage...well, mages live a long time)

And is it just me or is hitting on a massive gold serpent just creepy?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000