Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Writting Realms Fiction
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  22:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been considering writing some Realms fiction for a good while now, and have several interesting concepts I'd like to get down on paper (or screen), posting them on a website for others to read.

Yet does anyone know if I could go about this? It's been mentioned in a few other threads about the Realms being a copyrighted world. Would it just be a case of placing a disclaimer at the bottom of the sight, stating that all rights are owned by Wizards of the Coast? And what if I wanted to write fiction using characters from other books and games? Would this count as copyright infringement, or only if I made money on it?

Sorry if this seems like an odd thread to start, but as I've said, I've a few interesting ideas for Realms tales, especially writting prologues for characters from Baldur's Gate (the game, rather than the novel) and several other pieces involving the Bhaal Saga, as well as the Realms campaign I am currently in.

Thanks in Advance

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  23:01:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a lawyer, but if it's fan fiction.... I tend to believe that you can post them on your own web site...... But again, I'm not a lawyer. :)

I know that some of us are working on putting together a short story collection for this site, which would contain fan created stories set in FR.

I'm still waiting to finish my short story. (Nudge, Nudge, hint hint to the two that know who they are, if they read this. :):))

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  23:12:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that as long as you disclaimer it, and don't try to sell it, you're safe -- though there are some authors that actively discourage fanfiction based on their work.

As for posting the fanfiction, there's a lot of places you can do that. Fanfiction.net is the biggest one I know of, though I'm not really a part of the fanfic community, so there could be larger ones.

If it is purely Forgotten Realms-based, then Big Al may be interested in hosting it here. You can drop him a line and ask, but he's currently on vacation and so won't be replying immediately.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  00:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly is right. As long as you don't try to sell it, you'll be fine. Sometimes you don't even have to have a disclaimer on it. Fanfiction.net does not require you to have one. some people do but I know that I haven't put it on some.

Other sites you may want to though. Fanfiction.net also has a list of authors who do not want fanfiction based on any of their stories. There are strict rules, but easy to follow.

And on fanfiction.net, you're guaranteed to run into harsh critics who like to keep the overused plot devices down to a bare minimum. *nods* past experience with a flamer.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! This is great news.

I think I'll give fan fiction a miss, as I've been wanting my own website to post fiction up for a while.

When it's done, you can guarentee you'll all be the first to hear about it.

Thanks for all the advice!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fanfiction.net has appeal, actually, in that you will have an audience readily, it is easy to upload and manage your things, and there are now even message boards for discussion -- each user is allowed ten message boards. There are downsides, but they aren't that prevalent in such a tiny, tiny section as FR.

On the other hand, the FR section itself is chock-full of crap. First page in, you'll see fluffy Drizzt-related tripe, drow-related fanfic (most of which are, yes, trite), and the occasional unfunny parodies. Good FR fanfic is rare, though then again, good anything is rare. Sturgeon's Law always holds true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  17:27:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Good FR fanfic is rare, though then again, good anything is rare. Sturgeon's Law always holds true.

One time (once was enough!), while trying to see the quality of available FR fanfiction, I actually found a Sailor Moon-FR crossover!

And then there was the time I perused the adult FR fanfiction... I didn't read any of it (fanfiction, as a whole, isn't my thing, unless we're MSTing it), but some of the pairings were enough to make me running away, screaming and crying.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  19:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read some okay FR fics on there. The usual Drizzt/Cattie-brie stuff and even some about Jander (though he's probably considered more of a Ravenloft character).

Now a SM/FR crossover would probably spoil my interest in reading FR fics. *nods* I can handle either one by themself, but definitely not together. *shudders*

Though there are a few fics that's kind of interesting.... I can't remember who wrote them, but they are about Drizzt and Cattie. One I thought was well done. I think the name was "Sleep in Peace Princess" or something. It's about the future when the inevitable will happen to Cattie (she dies). Other than the fact the author uses no paragraphs I think it's done well.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000