Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Prayers From The Faithful
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  17:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would very much like to know, firstly, what this product actually details, and secondly, what the sages here think about it? I have all three of the 2E deity books, as well as Faiths and Pantheons, though my understanding is the book is more to do with priests themselves rather than the Gods.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  17:35:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, Prayers from the Faithful is a compilation of those priestly spellbooks and spells that Ed first described in the pages of Dragon Magazine -- kinda like what Pages from the Mages did for the Dragon articles of the same name.

It's been so long since I even opened my copy that I don't remember too much about it. While the three deity books are required resources (IMNSHO ), Prayers from the Faithful isn't really necessary. But I can readily see church-sponsored quests, to reclaim some of the holy texts described in the book. From that viewpoint, it could be very useful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  23:15:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this book as it is jam-packed with realmslore, not necessarily to do with gods and religion (though it has plenty of that also). I re-read it often. Recommended.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  02:09:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heartily agree with Mr. Krashos. It's wrong to say it's a compilation of DRAGON magazine material: they made up about an eighth of it (if that), as I recall; the rest was new.
It's a collection of holy books, one per faith, in the style of the Pages From The Mages articles (sprinkled with priestly books from that series).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  02:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks - I've run into a copy on ebay and have been deliberating whether to invest in it or not.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  03:09:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I heartily agree with Mr. Krashos. It's wrong to say it's a compilation of DRAGON magazine material: they made up about an eighth of it (if that), as I recall; the rest was new.
It's a collection of holy books, one per faith, in the style of the Pages From The Mages articles (sprinkled with priestly books from that series).
love,
THO

I stand corrected. As I said, it's been many moons since I cracked mine open.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  03:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a great book. The Realmslore is excellent and the books themselves (in whatever form they take) make really interesting items to include in a campaign. Oh, and I really like a lot of the art.

My latest campaign is going to feature Eldath's Crystrum of Tranquility.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  18:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's one of the books where the Realms really starts to fly. It's the best reference on what priesthoods get up to, and gives a great sense of what actually goes on in the Realms, without having the burden of relating the basic background, or following a few characters for a small span of time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000