Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bard Definition...questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRedBard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  01:39:37  Show Profile  Visit TheRedBard's Homepage Send TheRedBard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear Kindly sages of the realms,
Ive been curious...while the realms has a few famous bards of the realms aka the foppish Danilo, or the lovely Storm...I cannot help but note neither has acted much as a bard. So I ask you, who could be considered the most successful bards in the realms regarding composing songs and stories. Seeking fame and fortune as our newly imposed non lawful status demands. As I am a young and neophite (sp?) bard...who is the best to emulate? Thanks in advance for all responses, they shall be kindly appreciated!!!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing!"
-Robin Williams, 1978 HBO Special

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  01:45:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about Olive Russkettle and Finder Wyvernspur in the finders stone trilogy. Also I am trying to remember several popular Bards featured for brief periods in EC's novels.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  01:54:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err, I thought you were asking about a definition of a Bard. SKR appears to define a bard based on Celtic origin others consider Shakespeare a bard. These two views conflict and more so with what D&D and FR has done to the Bard.

A Celtic bard was a keeper of lore and law, an assistant to Druids (which were priests and perhaps prestesses in Ireland) to the Celtic people.

Shakespeare was a a writter of old myths (or lore) told in a new way, he was also a musician and clearly not a keeper of law.

D&D bards are a mix of these two things, with added features of being a thief and incapible of adhereing to any legal ethic.

I can not advise you to emulate any D&D bard and be true to what they were and are.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 Dec 2005 02:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  02:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm Silverhand does indeed sing and entertain people, as least according to Ed Greenwood's works. That's good enough for me. *shrug* I think the answer to this question would depend on one's definition of "bard".

And by the way, I dislike the "must be non-lawful" rule, myself. Where the hell did it come from, anyway?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  02:32:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And by the way, I dislike the "must be non-lawful" rule, myself. Where the hell did it come from, anyway?

Well 2nd threw bard under Rogues but did not appear to include alignment restriction.

So 3.X is where non-lawful appears as a rule.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  02:41:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see the non-lawful aspect for Bards. Should it be in place for all bards as a requirement, I don't think so. In my opinion, and how I run a Bards alignment is usually NG, and sometimes CG. I think a bard is someone who has a lot of wanderlust, traveling around the realms in seek of lore, and due to circumstances in life not entirely for "law" in a local society.

anyways, my 2 cents worth
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  03:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, a Bard that performs in a court as a King's entertainer or a Bard who uses his lore/knowledge to be a King's advisor cannot be lawful....That makes a ton of sense
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  03:42:40  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

So, a Bard that performs in a court as a King's entertainer or a Bard who uses his lore/knowledge to be a King's advisor cannot be lawful....That makes a ton of sense

Not sure if chosen of Bane was replying to my previous post, if yes, My key words were "in my opinion" and how "I" usually run a bard. I can see your example as showing why Bards should not be "required" to run non-lawful.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well 2nd threw bard under Rogues but did not appear to include alignment restriction.

So 3.X is where non-lawful appears as a rule.

*laughs*

Yeah, but what I really mean is what is the purpose of such a rule? Not what edition did it start in.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Dec 2005 04:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:51:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2E, bards had to be some flavor of neutral. This was explained by saying bards needed to be somewhat detached.

I think this was a holdover from 1E rules. Under 1E, to become a bard, first you had to start off as a fighter. Between 5th and 8th level, you had to switch to thief. Again between 5th and 8th (I think, it may have been 6th and 9th), you had to switch to druid. And that was when you became a bard. Since druids had to be neutral, a bard would have to be.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  06:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, but what is with the rule saying that bards can be chaotic and/or neutral? I can see why a lot of bards would be considered free-spirited wanderers, but I don't see why they would all have to be. Then again that's just me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  13:32:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, like I say, it could just be a holdover...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  16:20:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Edition

"They must always remain neutral, but can be chaotic, evil, good or lawful nuetral if they wish."

The bard never became a Druid, just took lessons from thrm. The thief could be good or lawful nuetral though were rare. *Grin*

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 Dec 2005 16:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  16:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

[quote]

Not sure if chosen of Bane was replying to my previous post, if yes, My key words were "in my opinion" and how "I" usually run a bard. I can see your example as showing why Bards should not be "required" to run non-lawful.

Sorry if I implied this. I was gearing my sarcasm towards a rule which I think is foolish, no offense was intended towards any fellow scribes.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  17:02:20  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
none taken chosen of bane, and I to apologize, if it seemed that I came back a little strong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000