Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for a god
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Icel
Acolyte

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  19:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Icel's Homepage Send Icel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What god in the Faerunian setting notably opposes demons and other evil outsiders?

Edited by - Icel on 17 Dec 2005 19:05:02

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  19:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander off top my head, just because they're all evil like. There are others of course, Corellon is one I think...or is it just against Orcs...hell I dont' remember. I'm to out of it ;)

Welcome to the Candlekeep!

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

TylerXKJ
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  19:58:33  Show Profile  Visit TylerXKJ's Homepage Send TylerXKJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the generic paladin deities like Tyr, Torm, or Helm are your obvious choice for demon haters. Basically every good or even neutral god dislikes demons/devils/evil outsiders.
Go to Top of Page

Icel
Acolyte

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  21:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Icel's Homepage Send Icel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, thank you.

Lets lift this up a notch, what organizations in faerun will sacrificeliving humans to balors and other demons?

I ask those questions because I'm buiiding a background for a character. at first I just used my own ideas, like the Daemon Circle whose acyolates sacrificed the characters mother to the Balors. But if there is a canon cult that would do that i would be better...
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  22:22:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot - quite a bit. The Red Wizards may sacrifice humans to get some arcane knowledge. House Kanarok may sacrifice people to get along better with their Sphere of Annihilation named Tiamat.
House Dlardrageth would be more than willing to kill a few humans in the name of power...

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  23:25:19  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaundukal is another one that fights evil outsiders. He makes an interesting choice since his listed alignment in F&P is CN. I beleive he hates them due to Myth Drannor being overun with them as it was the "seat" of his worship in the Realms. The Prestige class for his followers in F&P is actually pretty good for a Ranger type, one of the class benefits allows the charachter to smite evil outsiders. I do not have the book in front of me right now so I can't be more specific.

Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  00:05:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would choose Tyr, it reminds me a lot of the pools trilogy, fighting off all sorts of evil hell spawn.

for the second question, the red wizards of thay, the cult of the dragon, and even cetain zhents would make human sacrifices for various reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  00:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icel

quote:

Oh, thank you.

Lets lift this up a notch, what organizations in faerun will sacrificeliving humans to balors and other demons?

I ask those questions because I'm buiiding a background for a character. at first I just used my own ideas, like the Daemon Circle whose acyolates sacrificed the characters mother to the Balors. But if there is a canon cult that would do that i would be better...

Popular anti-demon gods would include Helm (a good choice since He is the god of protectors and guardians against evil), Tyr, Illmater(there is a Illmaterite paladin who went on to fight a demon demigod), Kelemvor(since there are "robberies" by demons in his own realm occasionally and he does strike back against the "robbers"). Lathander...he is more against the undead but maybe he opposes demons as well. You might as well count the gods of nature in as well, for demons mostly defile anything they touch so you can count them in too.

To your second question, evil organizations that does such dirty work?
1) the followowers of Orcus can be said to be one since their god is a demon turned demigod.
2) lolth worshippers
3) The Shadovar did that too, during their exile in the Plane of Shadow, they sacrificed some of their own people to the demonlords to keep their independence.
4) Think about the orcs, they do that occasionally.
5) Vaprak's followers and other not-so-well known deiies followers.
6) Twisted Rune..(maybe)

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  01:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Followers of Lolth make living sacrifices to their goddess, who, depending on which edition you're using, has varying levels of kinship with demons.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Icel
Acolyte

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Icel's Homepage Send Icel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all.
For the god, I chose Helm. I liked him ever since Baldur's Gate II CRPG, so I'll use him. If I'm not mistaken, Helm's followers are called the Watchers, right?

As for the evil order, I think I'll keep my own idea, since none of the canon ones seems fit for this particular background.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:19:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be sure to read through Helm's entry in either Faiths & Avatars or Faiths & Pantheons for more details on his church, the clergy and followers of Helm, as well as other various religious details.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2005 05:23:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000