Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Chapters 16 - 18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 16-18 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:56:33  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just before starting reading this section of the book, I took out my copy of The Silver Marches, and I must say how I am impressed with the way Erik has used the small amount information in that book and used it through the novel.

I was just read about The Oak House, and Amra, and lo and behold in the next scene it was a fight between her and Meris.

Erik - you had me punching the air when the lightening hit Meris. YES!, I thought, as I cannot stomach that character (it's amazing you have me passionately hating a character like this). I was a bit dismayed however when I found out he was still breathing.

In the next confrontation between Gylther'yel and Amra I was thinking that no way would WotC let you kill off a character from a sourcebook, but even then I had my doubts!

Nice little hints at The Ghost Lady's past too!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  12:30:10  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as I was starting to think about the origins of Gylther'yel, it was reveled in the very next chapter.

It was a nice revelation too, one I had not thought about at all throughout the book and now when you start to think back about Lyetha it all seems to make sense.

I also like how the names are all interconneted, Lyetha's being the most human sounding of all as she is only half-elf.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehehe very amusing how Meris went to jump in the hot bath and Talthaliel turned it to ice, hitting his butt on the surface I bet Greyt wanted to laugh so loud!

I liked the sudden realisation that Arya head when she was thiking "cell bars" and the name Bars came to her - being her knightly companion.

Again, another druid-killing scene... and what a great one too! This was amazing. At first, I just passed it off as another scene like before, as was so shocked when it was revealed as a trick and Amra was holding a crossbow bolt against her eye to make Meris believe he had hit. When her eyes flicked open and she winked at him, I almost gasped.

I loved the display of her druidic powers, using the power of weather and nature to combat Meris. Great stuff. Quite scary too how she felt nature die and wane afterwards.

I really wonder about Gyther'yel. She seems so evil in her ways. I can't weigh her up. Ama wasn't a thread to her or the woods. And Gyther'yel had no toleration for non-elven druids...believing them to be false worshippers of Silvanus.

I liked the little touch where Walker sees "Thin Man's" spirit wandering around aimlessly after he had died, and then shows him the way and frees him to the afterlife.

Wow, so more is revealed here with Gyther'yel and her sister. Now it's coming together. Not much of a lover of nature though is she when she screams out and releases so much power that she kills all trees and animals around her. BOOOO HISSSS

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  20:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

hehehehe very amusing how Meris went to jump in the hot bath and Talthaliel turned it to ice, hitting his butt on the surface I bet Greyt wanted to laugh so loud!

I know I did, when I wrote it. ;)

quote:
Again, another druid-killing scene...

Well not killing, per se. . . Amra's not dead.

quote:
And what a great one too! This was amazing. At first, I just passed it off as another scene like before, as was so shocked when it was revealed as a trick and Amra was holding a crossbow bolt against her eye to make Meris believe he had hit. When her eyes flicked open and she winked at him, I almost gasped.

I loved the display of her druidic powers, using the power of weather and nature to combat Meris. Great stuff. Quite scary too how she felt nature die and wane afterwards.

I'm glad you liked it. I was wondering if it wasn't too tangential, but it seems effective. It's big for Meris, clearly. :)

quote:
I really wonder about Gyther'yel. She seems so evil in her ways. I can't weigh her up. Ama wasn't a thread to her or the woods. And Gyther'yel had no toleration for non-elven druids...believing them to be false worshippers of Silvanus.

Well. . . it's complicated. ;)

quote:
I liked the little touch where Walker sees "Thin Man's" spirit wandering around aimlessly after he had died, and then shows him the way and frees him to the afterlife.

That's one of my favorite images: "free like wind through the glittering aspen leaves." If you've seen an aspen tree, you know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  01:35:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, its interesting . . . there were a few things that I suspected that I started to think I was wrong about, and then Erik goes and brings the story back around to what I originally suspected. Pretty good writing Erik. Meris, as always, pain in the backside . . . although he got his own pain in the backside. Greyt looks increasingly desperate, dispite his "master plan" coming together. He looks like a man about to loose it.

I liked how Arya got to Greyt by not considering him a villain or a hero, just a coward playing a role. His ego would have still been satisfied with being a villain, but he couldn't stand being told exactly what he was, especially after his wife's damning comments.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  17:31:17  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - with the day off yesterday - I was able to read these three chapters.

Still Very good - not slipping in the latter parts!

My only comment is dealth with in the last page or two of chapter 18.

Hmmm Gylth had a sister - and that sister took a lover - and had a daughter - Lyetha. And Lyetha is Greyt's wife. But - the sister, Wyel. got sick - and died - of a human disease.

Then - the comment that she was about to play a last card - the last of their line - who was sleepinmg in a clearing.... Meris? OK - so - that would make Meris either 1) Lyetha's Brother / Wyel.'s Son - or 2) Lyetha's Son. However - in neither case does it make sense that he is the 'last of the line' as Lyetha is (as far as we know) still alive.

Another option would be Walker - who as a reader - we know is still around - but she would not know that - unless she DID know he would survice. That would tie into my previous assumption that Walker was Lyethia's son - and that Walker's father was her husband - and Greyt had them 'removed' so that he could win her love. The sticky part of that is - as readers - we would have expected Walker to be dead - for he did not have the wolf ring when Meris checked for it. (*Again - wondering - how did he know about the ring?*) My supposition is that Gylth snuck to the clearing and took the ring - and then after Walker was killed and buried - used 'shostly powers' to replace the ring on his hand - as we see that he is in possession of it again - allowing him to rise from the grave.

It would make sense why she cared for Walker at all - being Kin. Also would make sense as to why she wanted him to ignore Arya - as humans had already taken many loved ones from her.

Truly interesting I must say!

Onward to the following chapters!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  18:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you're curious! That's exactly what I want.

I just want to point out that the "last card" and the "last of our line" aren't necessarily the same thing.

As for relationships: Meris (the child of Greyt and an Amnian adventurer) and Lyetha (the niece of Gylther'yel) are NOT related, though it's kinda neat to wonder what that would mean if they were. :)

And do we KNOW that Walker didn't have the ring, or did Meris simply not find it. . .? Remember, he only checked one place (Walker's right hand). Did it get moved at some point?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  06:47:31  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I suppose the 'last card' and 'last of line' may not be the same thing - it just seems to point that way.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if Gylth is Walker's mother. Nah - does not fit...

No - I suppose we don't know about the ring - Wait a sec - Arya took it for a moment - and placed it back on Walker's hand - in a 'joining' type scene - which made me imagine that she considered them linked - and if thats the case - and FR follows Real-world - then it would have been placed on the *Left* hand. That would make sense - although I find it somewhat clumsy of Meris - who is clearly in charge of the situation - to have missed the possibility of the left hand - even when he went so far to look to see if Arya had it.

Anyway - still trying to get some time to read further! :) If all else fails - I'm off work on Friday!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000