Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Chapters 19 - 21
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 19-21 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  12:34:47  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My word this part of the book should have the biblical title of 'Revelations'

The return of Walker was very much expected, but handled really well. I enjoyed the confrontation between him and Gylther'yel.

But most of all came the shock revelation from Lyetha, regarding Tarm and indeed Walker himself. I still wonder why she wants Greyt to live, even though she spurned him earlier on.

I also wondered if she realises who Walker is?

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  13:11:29  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well the next chapters answered all of my questions!!

Man - Erik - you throw more twists and turns into a couple of chapters, it was unbelievable!!

Walker is Rhyn, Rhyn is the son of Lyetha AND Greyt Greyt obviously didn't know that information!!

Then as I was just about to stop reeling from that, Meris gets stabbed, and I am expecting it to be Walker standing there, only for it to be Lyetha!!

I was quite saddened by the demise of Lyetha, even though she didn't have much space to evolve in the book. It is certainly a sad tale.

Finally just when I think things cannot get any worse......

.....Walker steps out into a hail of arrows!!

Come on man...can you stick a few more twists into your stories next time

On to the final leg of the book!!

Malarick

Edited by - Malarick on 04 Dec 2005 13:12:01
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

Well the next chapters answered all of my questions!!

Man - Erik - you throw more twists and turns into a couple of chapters, it was unbelievable!!

Walker is Rhyn, Rhyn is the son of Lyetha AND Greyt Greyt obviously didn't know that information!!

Whoah!! This part of the book knocked me for six!! It's like someone just slotted the pieces of a jigsaw together. Amazing!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  18:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, I loved the scene with Greyt speaking to the people and how he has planted some of his man to start an appaulse within the crowd

We see how selfish and ruthless Greyt is here, too, when he is thinking about Meris and has pretty much ruled him out, and thinking about how he can easily start again and have another son... being as there are many women after him too!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  20:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes -- there's always an explanation, and it's a simple one, but you never get enough clues to make that connection fully. ;)

I think I handled this mystery a bit more deftly than "The Hunting Game," but, then, I have more space. ;)

If that's all true, though, doesn't it makes what Greyt has done so much worse -- and so much more tragic? Tragic hero indeed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Dec 2005 20:10:25
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well well, all is revealed! I like how the background behind Walkers death is being revealed here. It's been puzzling me all through the book

Good to see Bilgren back too, I kind of like this brute for some reason... although his reappearance didn't last long

I quite like how Bilgren has a distinctly different dialog to the rest of the characters.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh so Talthaliel isn't the weak underdog that we saw before I knew there was more to him that met the eye. This story is full of deeper twists and ploys. Great stuff

More evidence of the cleverness throughout the book comes up again when Meris tricks his father, and spits out the chicken heart. I was quite touched when Greyt was pleading with Meris to tell Lyetha that he was sorry etc. Strange what being on the brink of death can do to ruthless men

Wow! and as if things weren't already complex, Meris tells Walker that he's the son of Greyt!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I also liked in this section how Meris called Talthaliel a "fish-skinned, tree-kissing elf bastard" and how he tried to enforce his service to him after his previous master (Greyt) is killed.

Very nice how we see what the amulet is all about and why Talthaliel won't be slave any longer. I'd been wondering why Greyt kept handling the amulet

And then when Meris steps out of the room and gets stabbed It's just one thing after another with this book. Just when you think there's a calm period, something takes you be surprise.... and it ends up being Lyetha! Boy!

Even this shocking part shocked me further, when Walker goes to aid his dying mother, and even Meris feels a heart pang and choses not to attack Walker, even though he is unarmed and vulnerable. Excellent. This book is full of surprising emotional points like this.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  01:47:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason in the last few chapters I have been rememinded of several movies . . . the sixth sense, Gladiator (the ghosts that only Walker can see, the white armor Meris wears, and the fact that Meris is a complete nutbag . . . )

I know we talked about this earlier, but Greyt was indeed tragic. Not that he was even close to being a hero, but that he did have the ability to be one. Wasted potential. Meris, I don't know if I would call it wasted potential when he is so young and he is a pain in the rear already . . .

I also liked the whole inability of Meris to strike Walker during Lyetha's death scene.

I felt bad for Greyt . . . he seemed to be looking forward to seeing Lyetha in the afterlife, but she got to meet up with Tarm again. Even though he never said a word, his constant presence made him sympathetic, especially when he seemed to be encouraging Walker down the right path, so I am glad to see him reunited with Lyetha.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  04:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. In a sense, Lyetha's the most important character in the book. She is the linchpin who holds everything together. And when she is taken out of the picture, everything starts unraveling, for Walker, for Meris, for everyone.

I'm glad people are enjoying the events surrounding the death of Lyetha. That was a very enjoyable part of the novel to write, because it had so many twists and turns. Then Walker is completely vulnerable, and Meris has the perfect chance. . . and he can't strike.

Why?

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  13:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I also liked the whole inability of Meris to strike Walker during Lyetha's death scene.

I felt bad for Greyt . . . he seemed to be looking forward to seeing Lyetha in the afterlife, but she got to meet up with Tarm again. Even though he never said a word, his constant presence made him sympathetic, especially when he seemed to be encouraging Walker down the right path, so I am glad to see him reunited with Lyetha.

well ya know, this will stick in my mind a lot about this book. The 'Meris not striking Walker' situation was great for me. It shows that Erik didn't just think of the characters as either good of bad, and that even though Meris was hellbent on getting what he wanted and despite his deep hatred for Walker, he still felt compassionate at this point. Beautifully done. It adds a whole new depth to the story, and again, moves away from unthinking hack-n-slash reactions which tend to (wrongly) come as expected. For me, it just shows that the author has given all the characters personalities and feelings, regardless of how nasty and ruthless they have become.

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 18 Dec 2005 13:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  07:21:06  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I echo the previous comments! Great work!

And Some of my predictions are coming true, even if only partially.

Walker was in fact Lyetha's son. But Tarm was not his father. Oh well - given that he thought Tarm was his father - what could you expect Me to think?

The mage did indeed predict the Greyt-Meris conflict - and the fact that his son would not defeat the mage - but not in the way Greyt expected. Point!

Someone mentioned that Meris told Walker his father is Greyt - but I went back - and did not see that conversation. Maybe it was earlier than I thought. -shrug-

Tarm being his grandfather is a twist - but is not so far off from being his father. Interesting that Lyetha was involved with father and son (Tarm and Greyt) - but we still know that Greyt eliminated Tarm (and Walker) to keep Lyetha to himself. Point.

Making me use my brain - good job!

Now I can see the end in sight - and the arrows? Not That unexpected - I figure Meris may have sent rangers/guards into the dungeons too. I hope the other prisoners are doing well. Kinda surprised one of the Knights did not stay to help them. Unless the captain of the Guard - the Genasi - (*cant remember his name ATM*) is one of the prisoners....

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  18:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe someone told MERIS that Greyt was Walker's father, not Walker. When Greyt dies, Walker still doesn't know that Greyt is his father (which may not be true anyway!).

Tarm being the grandfather?? What implied that?

Greyt's father is named Gharask, Lyetha's human father is not named ('twould be creepy if she produced Walker with her own father).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000