Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yawning Portal - updated (added level 2)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  15:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yawning Portal - Main Floor

http://members.cox.net/slartybarfast/yawningportalmainfloor.jpg

Level 2 with upper balcony looking down over well

http://members.cox.net/slartybarfast/yawningportallevel2.jpg

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 30 Nov 2005 16:57:34

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were you the cartographer for that map? Tis an excellent map, very detailed. Can I assume that the well into Undermountain is the large well in the center of the room in the very back of the inn, one room from the left?

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  16:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!

This is an excellent map, Mystery_Man!!!!
Good job!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  17:36:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right on Mystery_Man! That was a great rendering of the famous inn!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  17:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

Were you the cartographer for that map? Tis an excellent map, very detailed. Can I assume that the well into Undermountain is the large well in the center of the room in the very back of the inn, one room from the left?

That is actually the layout from the City System ebellished and added to by yours truly. And yes, that be the infamous well. :)

I'll do the upper level here in a couple days when I get some free time.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  18:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent map. Well done, friend.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  18:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must echo. It is very nice and not cheesydone. It's very good done.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  21:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I like it too!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  00:16:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Big Al, you might want to include this on the mainsite.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  00:53:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the impresion that the building was much larger, though have not read any detailed describtion of the building. I am not saying any detail presented is in error. What I do see though is an rather poorly designed building. No heat in the main room is one thing that jumps out at me as poor design, of the three chimneys in place location strikes me as odd.

Filling in details certainly allows for some flexiblity.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Nov 2005 00:54:47
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  16:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Very nice!

Big Al, you might want to include this on the mainsite.

Well met

It would certainly be a pleasure I am quite intrigued with Dundjinni and mean to have a dabble myself. A job very well done, Mystery_Man, i'll contact ye privately to discuss this further.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  00:38:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truthfully, I haven't even picked up a copy myself. Although MM's working here has rekindled some of my earlier desires about buying a copy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  01:13:18  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question - how much time does it take to create something in that ilk? I had Campaign Cartographer, but it took forever and a day!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  15:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tweaked the main floor a bit, took the well out. The "wet" well will go in the cellar.

http://members.cox.net/slartybarfast/yawningportalmainfloor.jpg

Now the portal really "Yawns".
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  16:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

One question - how much time does it take to create something in that ilk? I had Campaign Cartographer, but it took forever and a day!

C-Fb

That one took me a couple hours. Once the layout is done hunting around for the little details takes time until you know where they are.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  17:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great, but (and I hate to be a rule lawyer) there already is a map of Yawning Portal in the Faerun Interactive Atlas. It has much more bedrooms and a second floor. That being said this is a great alternative to it.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  18:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

This is great, but (and I hate to be a rule lawyer) there already is a map of Yawning Portal in the Faerun Interactive Atlas. It has much more bedrooms and a second floor. That being said this is a great alternative to it.

There are 3 floors actually, and a cellar.

THIS IS THE MAIN FLOOR
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  18:29:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err correct me if I am in error, but I was under the impersion the Faerun Interactive Atlas was fan based data imput which may not contain canon/offcial information.

The updated first floor does look better to my eyes. Oh when getting to 2nd and higher floors remember chimneys tend to go straight up.
One thing you might not know is that there can be more fireplaces that start up on 2nd floor.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  19:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Err correct me if I am in error, but I was under the impersion the Faerun Interactive Atlas was fan based data imput which may not contain canon/offcial information.

Sorta like mine. :)
quote:
The updated first floor does look better to my eyes. Oh when getting to 2nd and higher floors remember chimneys tend to go straight up.
One thing you might not know is that there can be more fireplaces that start up on 2nd floor.

*smack*!! Chimneys! OK...we're going to go ahead and just imply the existence of chimneys here m'kay?

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 28 Nov 2005 19:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  19:29:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Man

quote:

*smack*!! Chimneys! OK...we're going to go ahead and just imply the existence of chimneys here m'kay?

Oh I meant for fire places on the second floor, not actual putting in chimneys. Just that 2nd floor and higher often can have an additional fireplaces hooked to the same chimneys.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  12:46:12  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pray tell, Mystery_Man,

What program created this fine map? How much does it cost?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  14:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Pray tell, Mystery_Man,

What program created this fine map? How much does it cost?

Well met

I believe it was produced using Dundjinni. More details on features and pricing can be found here.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  15:09:40  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if it can produce maps like that it is well worth the cost. I think I shall pick up a copy of it.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  15:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, if it can produce maps like that it is well worth the cost. I think I shall pick up a copy of it.

C-Fb

Yup, Dunjinni. It's got a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty cool. I was pleasantly surprised at the versatility of being able to manipulate objects.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Level 2

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  20:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Man

Level 2

Well met

Splendid work, Mystery_Man The "viewing gallery" really brings home that feeling of the atmosphere generated when watching naive adventurers on their way to their doom fortune

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  21:50:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great maps. Other references to check (particularly for the cellars) include FRE1 - Waterdeep, the Forgotten Realms Atlas (paper), and the novella "A Slow Day in Skullport" in Realms of the Underdark.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  18:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Great maps. Other references to check (particularly for the cellars) include FRE1 - Waterdeep, the Forgotten Realms Atlas (paper), and the novella "A Slow Day in Skullport" in Realms of the Underdark.

Hey you also mention the "wet" well in your new Waterdeep book (superb job by the way) but I also read about another secret entrance from Durnan's cellar someplace but can't remember where...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000