Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lycanthropic Wonderings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  23:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been working with lycanthropes lately, and was wondering about a few things. Here goes: Are the children of turned lycanthropes were-beings? Can the trait be bred out of a bloodline? Can two different kinds of lycanthropes have children; what type will the child be? Do were-creatures live any longer than their base race? Are there are any sources with significant info on the topic in general?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 30 Oct 2004 23:14:57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  05:53:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

I've been working with lycanthropes lately, and was wondering about a few things. Here goes: Are the children of turned lycanthropes were-beings? Can the trait be bred out of a bloodline? Can two different kinds of lycanthropes have children; what type will the child be? Do were-creatures live any longer than their base race? Are there are any sources with significant info on the topic in general?

I don't recall reading anything about it in 3E, because the 3E books are naught but crunch. In 2E, however, I seem to recall that the offspring of an infected lycanthrope was also an infected lycanthrope. I remember that because I never agreed with it.

Also, in 2E, there was a Ravenloft sourcebook that dealt exclusively with lycanthropes. 'Twas called Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts, and was later reprinted in the first (of three) of the Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendiums. Those are not Realms sources, but I think that any DM should have them, regardless of setting. Lots of nifty stuff in all of them, allowing a devious DM to craft all sorts of unique mummies, lycanthropes, ghosts, vampires, fiends, etc. Lots of fun stuff. Your players would thank you, even if their characters don't.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Oct 2004 05:58:32
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  07:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose you could say that you need two infected parents to create a natural one. That might have been what the book was talking about. If not, then I can't think of any logical reason.

Myself, I'd say that the bloodline can get bred out. You should feel free to tinker with it. Eberron has a race based on the concept of diluted, yet stable, lycanthropic bloodlines, and you also have the minor Lycanthrope Bloodline from Unearthed Arcana.

Now, let's see. Two types of lycanthropes . . . I'd say that the child will take after the mother. Since it's in the mother's womb for nine months, the baby will be saturated with the mother's type. Anything from the father in this regard would be minor. (For instance, if the father is a weretiger and the mother a werewolf, you would get a baby werewolf that might not really enjoy being part of a "pack" (i.e., adventuring party).)

And as for racial life expectancy, I'd call it as living as long as the longest type. Since the base creature will likely live longer than the animal type, then the bace creature's life expectancy would be the one to use. (Same concept as with the familiar bond.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  15:30:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Eberron has a race based on the concept of diluted, yet stable, lycanthropic bloodlines...
The Shifters.

With level increases and more experience however, the traits of the lycanthropic bloodline that each shifter possesses, can be further enchanced as more of the were-creature's nature becomes apparent in the shifter's body.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  21:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I nicked the Shifters for my campaign some time ago, as the descendants of lycanthropes.

The hows and wherefors of lycanthropes have come up in my game before, and been discussed in great detail, and after long debate, the answeres we reached were thus:

The curse of lycanthropy(ie "turned" were creatures) is passed on to children, though it can be bred out eventually.

The children of two infected lycanthropes of the same type is a natural lycanthrope of that type, while mixing of two types of lycanthropes results in a very dangerous and unstable pregnancy that usually results in the death of the child, the mother, or both.

Assuming the child survives, in it's "human" form the child is quite normal in regards to it's parents, but it's animal and hybrid forms are much different, appearing to be a mixture of the two animals.

Births are far easier(due tothe mixing being more compatible) if the types of were creatures are more compatible(a were fox and were wolf, or a were tiger and lion) though still not a sure bet, as many children of such mixings are stillborn.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  02:53:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

The curse of lycanthropy(ie "turned" were creatures) is passed on to children, though it can be bred out eventually.

That reminds me of the optional rule from a RL tome that states that PCs infected by a lycanthropic curse that has been passed down from either of their parents could make a special "curse check", at the time of PC generation, which, if it was successful, would mean that the curse had actually "skipped" the current generation of offspring (in this case, the PC), and will likely carry on in the next if the PC decides to have children of his own.

In this case, the curse lays dormant. The check did have special considerations though. If at some point, the PC is confronted by horrific situations (which are entirely commonplace in the Dread Realms) for a specific length of time, the curse may be triggered, and the lycanthropic side of his make-up will come to the forefront of his personality and being. He will become a lycanthrope.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  03:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, I would think, would recieve a penalty on a saving throw against contracting lycanthropy (but, perhaps on a special check, might instead become a natural rather than an infected).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  04:59:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And, I would think, would recieve a penalty on a saving throw against contracting lycanthropy (but, perhaps on a special check, might instead become a natural rather than an infected).

Indeed.

As I recall, the entire optional ruleset was extremely convoluted, with about seven or eight points which would need to be considered both before and after the check was made. This probably lead to it's eventual downfall, as it was highly unpopular "option" among gamers, and, which was why it was later removed from the core RL rules when the campaign setting was moved into 3e.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  17:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose you could say that you need two infected parents to create a natural one. That might have been what the book was talking about. If not, then I can't think of any logical reason.

Myself, I'd say that the bloodline can get bred out. You should feel free to tinker with it. Eberron has a race based on the concept of diluted, yet stable, lycanthropic bloodlines, and you also have the minor Lycanthrope Bloodline from Unearthed Arcana.

Now, let's see. Two types of lycanthropes . . . I'd say that the child will take after the mother. Since it's in the mother's womb for nine months, the baby will be saturated with the mother's type. Anything from the father in this regard would be minor. (For instance, if the father is a weretiger and the mother a werewolf, you would get a baby werewolf that might not really enjoy being part of a "pack" (i.e., adventuring party).)

And as for racial life expectancy, I'd call it as living as long as the longest type. Since the base creature will likely live longer than the animal type, then the bace creature's life expectancy would be the one to use. (Same concept as with the familiar bond.)

i find myself greatly agreeing with this statement, yet i have 1 final ? on the matter...say a healthy human baby was spawned by 2 lycanthropes. when would this childs ability 2 change occur? would the baby be able 2 change at will from birth? or at birth but only when greatly upset? or could it possibly be a puberty thing? when the child reaches its teens would he/she find its nature?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i find myself greatly agreeing with this statement, yet i have 1 final ? on the matter...say a healthy human baby was spawned by 2 lycanthropes. when would this childs ability 2 change occur? would the baby be able 2 change at will from birth? or at birth but only when greatly upset? or could it possibly be a puberty thing? when the child reaches its teens would he/she find its nature?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  20:12:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

I'd lean towards the White Wolf approach, and not have the First Change happen until sometime after the onset of puberty. In fact, an NPC I'm working on was a were, but didn't find out until, after puberty, she found herself in an exceedingly stressful situation.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  03:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i agree, i think the lycanthropic side of the person would emerge with puberty as well

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  03:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. I think I'll stick with what seems to be the popular opinion, and let two infected lycanthropes (or infected/natural) make a natural lycanthrope child. Cross-breeding will probably result in all of one type, but with the possibility of minor personality quirks, as Bookwyrm suggested. One last request for conformation: Do were-beings live longer than ordidinary creatures of their type, perhaps as an effect of their healing abilities?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  05:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i believe so

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  11:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm raising this old topic because I have a new question.

Lycanthropy is a template, which means that it can be put to any race. What I'm wondering about is that can there be a werewolf gnoll or a werecat rakasha or a werecrocodile lizardman (or whatewer they are called)?

What would their hybrid form look like? How would they act? Can there be a werecat gnoll who hates him/herself because of the cat/dog animosity?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  21:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet
Lycanthropy is a template, which means that it can be put to any race.

Templates can't be applied to anything-they usually have creature type restrictions.
quote:
What I'm wondering about is that can there be a werewolf gnoll or a werecat rakasha or a werecrocodile lizardman (or whatewer they are called)?

In turn: yes, no, yes.

quote:
What would their hybrid form look like? How would they act? Can there be a werecat gnoll who hates him/herself because of the cat/dog animosity?

I'd imagine their hybrid form would look just like any other lycanthrope's-a mixture of their humanoid and animal forms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000