Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Double Diamond Triangle Saga
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  10:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Someone mentioned to me the other day that they had read somewhere that the Double Diamond Triangle Saga was considered officially by WotC (or TSR, not sure if WotC have the same view), that the novels are NOT canon!

Can anyone (particulary FR authors, are you still within Candlekeep Dave Gross, you wrote Opportunity for Profit (part 5) after all ) clarify this and give any explanation as to why it is seen as not being canon?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 15 Feb 2003 10:36:43

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  16:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes . . .

The quintuple inverted rhombus dodecahedron hypercube saga, as it was known among many inside the hallowed halls.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but you did bring up some very fond memories. . . .

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  10:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I seem to recall, it was set in 1370+DR and when they brought out 3rd Ed. FR, it caused to many problems with regards to the timeline. So they put it down to a realms book written by Volo I think.

Could never get my hands on that 3rd book in the series lol

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  10:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt think the series (saga!) was a realms-shattering event? I cant understand how it would cause a problem to such a degree as to be declared unofficial.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  13:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could anybody tell me what this saga is about?In Poland we don't have such novels...

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  14:09:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a "Labyrinth novel" in 9 episodes.
You read the first one (i only have the title in French): The Rapt
The you have the choice between reading the number 2 (Paladins) or 3 (Mercenatries).
The the 2 is followed by the 4 (Can't translate ) and the 3 by the 5 (no translation again )
Then you have to read the 6 (Conspiracy).
Then you have the choice between the 7 (Alliances (?)) or the 8 (Betrayals)
And you finish by the 9 (diamond)

The double diamond name comes from the drawing they made to explain how to read the novels

2 3
4 6 5
7 8

The authors are James M. Ward, David Wise, Ed Greenwood, J. Robert King, Richard Baker, David Cook, Peter Archer, Dave Gross, Roger E. Moore
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  14:11:06  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The schema i made isn't very readable.
The spaces between the numbers had been removed
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  15:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The parts of the saga are as follows. Im not sure on the plot details though.

Part 1 - The Abduction
Part 2 - The Paladins
Part 3 - The Mercenaries
Part 4 - Errand of Mercy
Part 5 - Opportunity for Prophet
Part 6 - Conspiracy
Part 7 - Uneasy Alliances
Part 8 - Easy Betrayals
Part 9 - The Diamond

So where are the FR authors when you need them to shed some light on this

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  19:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad, Zemd...Thank you very much for information

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  00:35:02  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still confued... where and what exactly is it about?

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  14:25:11  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know exactly what the story is about, I've read such a type of novel before, and wasn't really thrilled by the concept. That has been the main reason for me not to pursue any of these books, in addition to the fact that I do recall people mentioning that it wasn't considered Realms canon at the time the first books were published.

As feedback to WotC, the concept as done with the Sembia series was IMO a much better format, with multiple authors writing overlapping stories on a common set of characters. The books can be read as stand-alone or as a series without much difference to the reader.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  01:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm still here. While I've read online that the DDTS is not canon, I've never heard anything either way from the Wizards editors. So I'm afraid I can't be of any help in that matter.

On the other hand, I love a good conspiracy theory and can spin my own--just not online, and not without two pints for incentive. (One in front of me and one inside of me.)

In other news, I just received the author copies of Lord of Stormweather, which included two wonderful surprises on which I'll elaborate in a more appropriate topic.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Someone mentioned to me the other day that they had read somewhere that the Double Diamond Triangle Saga was considered officially by WotC (or TSR, not sure if WotC have the same view), that the novels are NOT canon!

Can anyone (particulary FR authors, are you still within Candlekeep Dave Gross, you wrote Opportunity for Profit (part 5) after all ) clarify this and give any explanation as to why it is seen as not being canon?

Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  03:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross

In other news, I just received the author copies of Lord of Stormweather, which included two wonderful surprises on which I'll elaborate in a more appropriate topic.

Dave

You're such a tease, Dave. By the way, I loved Lord of Stormweather!

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.

Edited by - Alaundo on 18 Feb 2003 09:11:40
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  04:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Voronica! And thanks for the loan of Tazi, who is clearly the most competent and admirable of the Uskevren brats. I hope I did her justice in the scenes when she appears in LOS. If you think so, tell everyone. If you don't think so, don't tell anybody!

If we can't get Ed and Lisa to come down from the Great White North and Richard and Paul to cruise over to the Left Coast, then some Gen Con we've got to get all the Sembians together and write some sort of closed-room mystery all together, maybe in the space of a few hours, maybe with an open bar. Perhaps some karaoke.

I'm just saying.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson
You're such a tease, Dave. By the way, I loved Lord of Stormweather!

Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  23:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross

Thanks for the kind words, Voronica! And thanks for the loan of Tazi, who is clearly the most competent and admirable of the Uskevren brats. I hope I did her justice in the scenes when she appears in LOS. If you think so, tell everyone. If you don't think so, don't tell anybody!

If we can't get Ed and Lisa to come down from the Great White North and Richard and Paul to cruise over to the Left Coast, then some Gen Con we've got to get all the Sembians together and write some sort of closed-room mystery all together, maybe in the space of a few hours, maybe with an open bar. Perhaps some karaoke.

I'm just saying.

Dave

I loved how you used Tazi in LOS. You wrote her in the way that I always see her. A really fine novel. I'm glad the cover color worked out for you as Terese did such a fantastic job on the artwork of each and every one (my personal favorite was the cover for Black Wolf).

As for the "closed room mystery", all I have to say is definitely an open bar! I'll need it if I have to listen to Ed sing "Feelings".

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  05:40:55  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you guys do get together for that 'closed room mystery' thingy with a bar, please sneak in a webcam or some such.

Looking forward to LOS, and I guess there's more here that do. Again, excellent series and a good concept.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  06:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You realize that Ed sings Feelings only with the pink boa on, right?

While I've got to agree, at the risk of seeming smug, that Terese outdid herself on Black Wolf, she sure did a great job with Sands of the Soul, too. Tazi looks pretty darned buff there. Those two plus the original Halls cover are my favorites.

You know, they ought to do a Sembia comic and get her to paint the covers. That's what I think.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson
I loved how you used Tazi in LOS. You wrote her in the way that I always see her. A really fine novel. I'm glad the cover color worked out for you as Terese did such a fantastic job on the artwork of each and every one (my personal favorite was the cover for Black Wolf).

As for the "closed room mystery", all I have to say is definitely an open bar! I'll need it if I have to listen to Ed sing "Feelings".

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  10:31:18  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sushisauce

I am still confued... where and what exactly is it about?

The story takes place in a lot of place (i know, two 'place' in the same sentence )
For example the frst tome takes place (and again!) in waterdeep where Peiregon's (sp?) wife is captured. The second is in Skullport where Paladins try to follow the capturers... and so on
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  17:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked the WotC site which has a new link to the novel timeline and this shows that the novels of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga are stated to be "Apocrypha / Volo's Attempts at Fiction", so I guess this is thier way of saying that it isnt canon.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  01:36:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making the Double Diamond Triangle Saga the work of Volo (and hence fiction within fiction) was one of the last FR decisions made by Steven Schend before he left WotC. It didn't fit into plans for FR 3E, was a noose around designers necks as it was set so far into the future, and wasn't an all that brilliant FR product in the first place. It wasn't a tough decision to make.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:04:34  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense at all to Dave Gross, for I never read his book, but I thought that diamond series was the worse piece of writing TSR ever put out. The story grabbed me like a bar of soap. I couldn't even finish the second book. It was the first FR book I read that I actually said "WHO CARES?" and closed it for ever.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  05:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, since you didn't get to mine. :)

For anyone who has enjoyed my books, check out T.H. Lain's The Sundered Arms, which I believe is slated for July (but I saw a May date on the indicia of the galleys). Writing for the T.H. Lain line is similar in a few respects to writing for the Double-Diamond series, but mostly it was easier and more fun, and I think the end product will please more people.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

No offense at all to Dave Gross, for I never read his book, but I thought that diamond series was the worse piece of writing TSR ever put out. The story grabbed me like a bar of soap. I couldn't even finish the second book. It was the first FR book I read that I actually said "WHO CARES?" and closed it for ever.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  10:33:15  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The double diamond saga isn't SO bad. Well, i didn't finish either, but it's because the 6th book isn't released anymore in France (i only have the 8 others ) but i plan to get an english copy soon
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  21:21:44  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Making the Double Diamond Triangle Saga the work of Volo (and hence fiction within fiction) was one of the last FR decisions made by Steven Schend before he left WotC. It didn't fit into plans for FR 3E, was a noose around designers necks as it was set so far into the future, and wasn't an all that brilliant FR product in the first place. It wasn't a tough decision to make.

-- George Krashos

Is the political and cultural geography of the region (as presented in the books) changed now?
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah... so this little story/series has been confirmed as NOT canon? Was beginning to wonder as i finally started to get around to reading the set and am now starting the 8th book... and a lot of it wasn't making any sense... i was trying to figure out where it placed in the timeline (esp when wizards doesn't have it on the timeline they have on their site for FR stories/novels/comics...)
Especially...

*WARNING SPOILERS?*

When Artemis is there... (tho i suspected it when he said only one person has matched his skill and neither could kill each other)... but the thing that really threw me off is where was his life-draining dagger? Supposedly only two of the pirate group he was with had any magic-weapons to harm the fiends when they were trying to get to Edrindal (SP? bleh...) and he didn't bring out his dagger :P and then the fact that he was actually getting hit in battles... when if i can recall right... him and drizzt were never able to land a cut on each other unless one tripped or such... tho my memory isn't very good... so i might be forgetting... but ah well..

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  19:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading this series. It did not seem to be that bad of a story, though it did start out fairly slow and trite.

{spoiler}

I think the reason for not being canon is the whole thing with the Utter East and the Bloodforges. I don't think WOTC wanted the all the nations of the Utter East to be able to summon magical armies at will.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:09:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I listened to an interview with R A Salvatore and it was really funny to hear him talk about this series. When he had his falling out with TSR and never thought he was going to return to the Drizzt character, they wrote the above mentioned series, which included Artemis, his character, which would have been a no no if he was still on board.

When he worked everything out when WOTC bought the company, someone told him that Artimis had lost an arm in the series, he told them that they better fix it before the end of the series becuase they were going to look really stupid when he started writing Artimis again and he had both his arms.

It just reminds me of Ed Greenwood saying that if any author uses another persons character they generally get permission and leave them in the same condition that they found them . . . obviously an arm missing is a bit of a modification . . .
Go to Top of Page

Manix
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  05:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Manix's Homepage Send Manix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked this series. I actually have been looking to buy all of them again, I didn't know at the time that I had to read then in a differatn order than 1-9 though. This series is one that I am hoping that WotC puts into one big book.

Manix
Out
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  19:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Manix

I really liked this series. I actually have been looking to buy all of them again, I didn't know at the time that I had to read then in a differatn order than 1-9 though. This series is one that I am hoping that WotC puts into one big book.

Manix
Out

I haven't read any of them myself and i'll probably be leaving them until last in my backlog reading.

I believe that WotC weren't very happy with these novels and treat them as non-canon also?

I'd be interested to hear any views on which particular numbered paths through the series are best.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000