Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 King Azoun IV reputation!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  15:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I always saw King Azoun IV as a great king to look up to and admire, who was a great leader of his kingdom, who cared for his people and loved his queen..... EEK! Thats where im wrong!

I have read the Cormyr Saga, the Empires Trilogy and and now reading Hand of Fire. Prior to Hand of Fire, Azoun WAS the person I had described above, but the latter parts of Crown of Fire and now in Hand of Fire show that his is extrememly unfaithful to Queen Filfaeril. On numerous occassions he is seen in anothers bed and giving his love and affections elsewhere. Boooo, bad Azoun! tut tut!

Obviously Death of the Dragon (Cormyr Saga, book 3) takes place AFTER Hand of Fire, and Azoun is shown to be in love and with Filfaeril, but his unfaithfulness is still unacceptable. The worst thing is, is that many of the Purple Dragons, and numerous guards from Cormyr, know of this and either aid him or turn a blind eye!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 24 Aug 2003 15:15:45

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  17:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah... but it hinted at this quality of his, if i recall, in most of the books/short stories he was in. But if you think about it... Most royalty, famous, rich people often have their 'mistresses' and what not... it's often expected (but then, often the reason for this is because they married for their country, reputation, financial needs... not for love... tho that is NOT always the case :P just overly common cause the people in such situation aren't given the choice of love... the parents and whatnot force them into those other types of marriages)

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  18:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Rad, I'm really surprised it took you this long to notice this tendency attached to the obarskyr line. It has reaccured repeatedly through out the lineage (Cormyr, a novel) and as before has been noted by many a sage. The thing that surprises me is your automatic assumption that Azoun IV didn't always love queen Filfaeril.
I honestly think Azoun took his marriage vows quite seriously, his problem was that he couldn't stop loving everyone else.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2003 :  05:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I like the way you put that one.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2003 :  12:22:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is certainly an interesting interpretation Malanthius.

Rad said -
quote:
The worst thing is, is that many of the Purple Dragons, and numerous guards from Cormyr, know of this and either aid him or turn a blind eye!
Indeed. However, remember that he is still king of Cormyr (or at least was king), and therefore must have the sworn loyalty and allegiance of his people. Although it does require those who know about his 'activities' to turn a blind-eye as such, I think his subjects purposeful ignorance would only go so far...

Make of this what you will.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Aug 2003 12:22:42
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  18:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's not unfaithful to Filfaeril; his dalliances are with her consent.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  21:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Surely not!? She cant possible consent to such activities!? Does Filfaeril know about Tessaril and Azoun?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2003 :  00:06:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Surely not!? She cant possible consent to such activities!? Does Filfaeril know about Tessaril and Azoun?

I don't see how Filfaeril can not have heard of Tessaril and Azoun and many of Azoun's other "activities." Upon reading Filfaeril in the Cormyr trilogy she didn't strike me as naive or foolish. Thus, I don't think she was in the dark at all about what Azoun was up to throughout his life.

Now whether or not she consented ...I think Filfaeril upon marrying a young and, as shown in Realms of Valor, (I think that book was the one featuring the story of a young Azoun), amorous Azoun, she had to know what to expect. I fail to see how Azoun being promiscious with other ladies means he loved Filfaeril any less.
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  06:59:05  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Filfaeril and Death of the Dragon, when are the events from the end of Death of the Dragon, the Return of the Archmages series, Elminster in Hell (etc) going to be continued? It seemed to me that there were still a lot of loose ends to be tied up in what could be considered the "main" story in Faerun, at least in the Dales and the surrounding areas.

Knights of Myth Drannor, perhaps?

Edited by - KlarthAilerion on 06 Sep 2003 07:00:55
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  10:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KlarthAilerion

Speaking of Filfaeril and Death of the Dragon, when are the events from the end of Death of the Dragon, the Return of the Archmages series, Elminster in Hell (etc) going to be continued? It seemed to me that there were still a lot of loose ends to be tied up in what could be considered the "main" story in Faerun, at least in the Dales and the surrounding areas.

Knights of Myth Drannor, perhaps?

Well said KlarthAilerion! I felt that the events in RotAW were left too unfinished, I wont give any spoilers here but we need to know more about what happens to Shade.

I believe that the upcoming Players Guide to Faerunis going to give an updated events and timeline from the FRCS

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  00:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect Elminster's Daughter (May 2004) will be forced to incorporate some of these threads, since it's set in the WotC 'present'. The Rage? The Last Mythal? (The Knights books will be set, gods be praised, in the early years of the company, the 1350s.)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  05:49:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

[quote]Originally posted by KlarthAilerion

I believe that the upcoming Players Guide to Faerunis going to give an updated events and timeline from the FRCS

Your post made me pose a question on the official WOTC board. Here's what Richard Baker said in his reply to it:

Yes, there's a good discussion of the principal events in Return of the Archwizards and the opening books of War of the Spider Queen, plus some other updates. We would have liked to make it more comprehensive, but space turned out to be a real limitation in the book.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sirius_Black
Mr. Baker:

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've kept up with this thread and don't recall it being put forth previously.

Will the Player's Guide to Faerun feature an updated timeline for events that have taken place since the FRCS came out? Someone on another messageboard was asking and I thought you might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Thank you in advance for any assistance here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  21:59:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was a bit younger I couldn't comprehend a lawful good character that I really liked doing something so base and imoral. As I got older I realized that Azoun would die for Filfaeril and his daughters, and he was a good and kind king who wasn't willing to go to war without risking his own hide. I think Death of the Dragon really showed his character, and as I get older I realize that sometimes even great men have flaws.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Responding to all in a single post, so please forgive the lack of large "Originally Posted by" quote blocks. I know it's an old thread, but since it's been revived, I may as well pipe in.

Lord Rad, Azoun did indeed love Filfaeril, until the moment of his death. In the Realms, however, "open" marriages are more common, and far more leniency is shown to monarchs than common folk. The Obarskyr line is known for its dalliances, and has been for generations.

Faraer is correct; Filfaeril knows full well about Azoun's tendencies, and did before they were married (having fallen victim to his charms in her own youth). In Hand of Fire, Tessaril states in no uncertain terms that Filfaeril knows all about their affair. I am without my copy at the moment, so a page reference eludes me, but it's something about allowing Filfaeril to snoop, and having to consider herself a traitor if she didn't. (This, by the way, is likely the sort of thing that tempered Azoun's lust later in life, combined with his age, of course)

Elminster's Daughter, of course, picked up on the various threads of the above-mentioned novels. Let us all hope for more Cormyr fiction soon.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  23:54:45  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Obarskyrs've always been known for dalliances and Azoun was no exception.
However, Filfaeril didn't know as evidenced in 'Beyond the High Road'. It's implied she didn't know about how he cheated on her so much...the line went something like... 'But did her husband really love her? Filfaeril was neither deaf nor blind. She had heard rumors of noble children who bore uncanny resemblance to her husband...and she'd seen with her own eyes some were well founded."
I'd loooove to see Azoun try to explain some of this stuff to Elminster
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  00:03:48  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... if I remember correctly, Cormyr the novel had many "stories" of past kings being quite amourous with other ladies and cheating on their wives. In fact, the Azoun the First was almost killed by Sembian assassins because he betrayed Amedahast's trust!

Like many others have said, in Medieval times it's not uncommon for a man, especially a noble wiht lots of wealth and power to have more than one spouse or lover. I'm sure that Cormyr probably had laws on adultery, but who's going to force them on King Azoun IV?! Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked a question about Filfaeril and Azoun and their relationship in Ed Greenwood's 2005 Q&A thread in the Chamber of Sages. I got a beautifully detailed response, though I don't remember what page it was on (maybe Kuje could copy and paste it here?). Anyway, Ed told me that Azoun always loved Filfaeril, that Filfaeril didn't mind his dalliances, and also that she often felt closer to the women he made love to--in other words, she didn't mind "sharing" her husband.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Mar 2005 02:04:52
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:12:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rinonalyrna, that response (posted through me, for scribes looking in vain down the left margin for Ed's name) can be viewed two-thirds of the way down page 15 of the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005) thread in the Chamber of Sages. I agree, a beautiful response, and I recall Ed was very pleased at your asking that question.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Yeah, the Obarskyrs've always been known for dalliances and Azoun was no exception.
However, Filfaeril didn't know as evidenced in 'Beyond the High Road'. It's implied she didn't know about how he cheated on her so much...the line went something like... 'But did her husband really love her? Filfaeril was neither deaf nor blind. She had heard rumors of noble children who bore uncanny resemblance to her husband...and she'd seen with her own eyes some were well founded."
I'd loooove to see Azoun try to explain some of this stuff to Elminster
The quote you cite isn't a suggestion that Filfaeril didn't know about Azoun's activities; it's Boldovar reminding her of the fact that Azoun regularly cheated on her in the hopes of turning her to the ghazneths' cause.

And, as I've mentioned elsewhere several times before, Elminster is not Filfaeril's father, but a more distant ancestor. Not that Elminster would be one to talk, in any case...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Rinonalyrna, that response (posted through me, for scribes looking in vain down the left margin for Ed's name) can be viewed two-thirds of the way down page 15 of the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005) thread in the Chamber of Sages. I agree, a beautiful response, and I recall Ed was very pleased at your asking that question.
love,
THO

And I was pleased with his answer. Thank you for pointing out where in Ed's thread that bit of lore can be found.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:51:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... if I remember correctly, Cormyr the novel had many "stories" of past kings being quite amourous with other ladies and cheating on their wives.

Or as one of my players once put forth tales of many kings/princes "proving the Obarskyr bloodline runs true."
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  03:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see now...
I wonder what happened with Gantharla...after all, the next king was called 'The Bastard'
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  03:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

I wonder what happened with Gantharla...after all, the next king was called 'The Bastard'
A very long story short, Roderin was known as The Bastard because Gantharla was not forthcoming as to precisely who his father was. Anything more would be to spoil some very interesting bits that will (hopefully) one day be revealed when the full Royal Lineage of Cormyr sees light.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  03:45:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Anything more would be to spoil some very interesting bits that will (hopefully) one day be revealed when the full Royal Lineage of Cormyr sees light.

Tease.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  04:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tease I may be, but I am bound by agreements both gentlemanly and otherwise to keep things secret that otherwise I would prefer to share. Such is the nature of my lurking.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  00:17:58  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey in short form......It's good to be the king!!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  11:28:29  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Rad, the continuous prove of Azoun IV unfaithfulness doesn't mean he doesn't love filfaeril, you only must remember his attack of jelousy when he sees the queen with Bolfovar the mad, o that his beloved wife's name is the last word he says. I think that is more a genetical problem that a love one, in my opinion. And one question for advanced observers, who says filfaeril is a "loyal" queen too? Maybe she is only more carefull with her actions You know what I mean, long battle campains...,m the great loneliness in a giant castle...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 12 Mar 2005 11:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  16:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood told me in his answer that Filfaeril was always faithful to Azoun. She was comforted by Alphondar (sp?) the Sage, and while his comfort was romantic in nature, she never actually made love to him. Ed Greenwood's thread in the Chamber of Sages is well worth reading for lore.

Filfaeril is with Alphondar now, but Azoun is dead and it only makes sense that she wouldn't want to be alone for the rest of her life.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  17:33:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Hey in short form......It's good to be the king!!!!!

Not to be flip, but from what Ed has said, it was good to be with the King, too. Having an Obarskyr bastard wasn't a negative thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  18:16:51  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen,Wools

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000