Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  21:53:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

2)Farewell Khelbun Arunsun, you've earned Arvandor

Tamsar, if this is a joke please tell me now before I jump out the window.....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  22:29:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this wouldn't be very surprising with the current theme of 3.x FR, and we can consider ourself lucky that it was Steven Schend that got the "bad job" of doing it...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  22:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

My thoughts exactly.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  22:54:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must.. get this book...

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:02:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Must.. get this book...

What you didn't pre-ordered it?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:11:09  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

My thoughts exactly.

If it`s true the neighbours will call the police when they hear my howl of grief.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that person was kidding, but if it was a joke, I didn't find it to be all that funny.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:18:01  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What you didn't pre-ordered it?

41,000 dollar tuition, no bank account, no credit card, irregular job, and groceries to buy?

:)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't pre-order it because most novels, in my experience, seem to arrive in backstores on time. Lucky me.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:25:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll certainly be buying it as soon as I get the cash. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  00:08:38  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas,

I kid ye not, Khelbun does indeed pass to Arvandor. Although he isn't killed per se, but sacrifices all of himself to protect all the casters of the High Magic/Epic spell to raise the fallen city and cleanse the High moor of the toxic remnants of the Killing Storm spell which destroyed Miyiertar 12 millenia ago.

PS: Just because Khelbun is dead, does not mean the relams now lacks a "Blackstaff" :D

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  00:21:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alas,

I kid ye not, Khelbun does indeed pass to Arvandor. Although he isn't killed per se, but sacrifices all of himself to protect all the casters of the High Magic/Epic spell to raise the fallen city and cleanse the High moor of the toxic remnants of the Killing Storm spell which destroyed Miyiertar 12 millenia ago.

PS: Just because Khelbun is dead, does not mean the relams now lacks a "Blackstaff" :D

What's your point - Khelben leaves his staff behind?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  00:26:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
What's your point - Khelben leaves his staff behind?

Maybe the real one is coming back from Greyhawk (or any other sucessor)..

Also, I guess the Yuan-ti and other scaly folks of the Serpent Hills / Backland won't like this "realm of the past" comeback..

Edited by - Skeptic on 05 Jul 2006 00:26:49
Go to Top of Page

Orog-Hai
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Orog-Hai's Homepage Send Orog-Hai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's talking about Khelben's children.
He said Laeral is carying.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  00:32:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap.

High Magic, Miyeritar, AND Khelben?

This may be one of my favorite Realms novels already, and I haven't even read it!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:02:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben in Arvandor, isn't a big strange ? His alignement is LN and his patron deity is of course Mystra...

Edited by - Skeptic on 05 Jul 2006 02:03:21
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben's ties to the elves have always run deep. He has been blessed not only by Mystra, but also Sehanine of the Seldarine. If he has done something to resurrect Miyeritar then the whole elven pantheon would be grateful - surely enough for him to be granted a place in Arvandor and finally receive the acknowledgement of his elven blood and place in elven life that he has always wanted.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:10:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Khelben in Arvandor, isn't a big strange ? His alignement is LN and his patron deity is of course Mystra...

Only thing I can think of that might be a reason is because of his elven blood..... But I don't have the novel yet. Course, Steven might give a better answer.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:39:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage
surely enough for him to be granted a place in Arvandor and finally receive the acknowledgement of his elven blood and place in elven life that he has always wanted.

The Swordsage

Yeah, that's true.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I want to give this guy's assertions (Tamsar's) any more dignity than they're worth. The book isn't out yet, technically speaking, and I haven't gotten the impression from Steve's comments that anything Realms-shaking is going to happen. Generally speaking, these "one-off" novels usually don't change the Realms in such major ways...I don't think I've read any that contain TWO RSEs.

Tamsar could be telling the truth, but...I'm not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt yet. The way he just burst into the thread with all these spoilers was rather strange, and pretty rude too (making me think it's likely to be a joke). The tone of his posts makes his statements pretty hard to swallow.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Jul 2006 02:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  03:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not very happy about reading the massive spoilers heading only once I started reading the thread. I was blind sided and I feel like I read something I did not want to see yet. I am not happy.

Plus, I am sure Steve Schend would be disappointed by such inappropriate talk before the masses can get their hands on the book and read it for themselves. Just sad.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Edited by - Wandering_mage on 05 Jul 2006 03:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  03:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially considering there is a Book Club section for discussing spoilers....that Alaundo mentioned very recently in this very thread.

Assuming these actually ARE legitimate spoilers.

What happened here was VERY inappropriate.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Jul 2006 03:19:36
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  03:20:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did change the title of this thread to reflect the new spoilers but I guess no one noticed. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  03:28:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The way he just burst into the thread with all these spoilers was rather strange, and pretty rude too (making me think it's likely to be a joke). The tone of his posts makes his statements pretty hard to swallow.

He put a big spoiler warning and skip a page lenght, how can this be rude ? Also, IIRC, the BookClub thread for Blackstaff isn't created yet.

Edited by - Skeptic on 05 Jul 2006 03:29:22
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  03:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic
IIRC, the BookClub thread for Blackstaff isn't created yet.

Wanna bet? Take a look for yourself--it's there. It's been there for several freaking days already.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Jul 2006 03:31:41
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  04:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He put in a huge spoiler space. What else did you want?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  04:49:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's been established. Can we move on now? Thanks.

Wonders if people read posts before they echo other posts that already established what they are echoing.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  05:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

He put in a huge spoiler space. What else did you want?

The Swordsage

There's something called "[beige][/beige]". In case you don't know, it turns the text into a color that blends into the backgroud, and you'd need to highlight to read it like this, for instance. But I guess this is too difficult for most people or something. Gosh. Putting a huge space is kind of pointless most of the time, since most people will catch bits of it while scrolling past or stumble on posts quoting it afterward, but have no spoiler warning.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  08:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, apologies to those who caught spoilers before a "spoiler" tag was added.

One of the reasons for the Book Club is to allow you to discuss the details of novels with fellow scribes and the author in sections as you read them. This way, you know you're safe reading the whole of the thread up to that particular chapter end.

I hope to see some of you there

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  10:11:11  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Apologies to any and all. I thought the Spolier I put there was enough. FYI I live in the UK and the book was on the shelf on July 1st, trust me, no one was more surprised than me. I've yet to start reading Bloodmage which was also on the shelf. I posted on this thread as I couldn;t see anoterh Blackstaff thread at the time.

I am not the most active poster by any means but have been a longtime member of this board. As for my tone of post, after you have read this book yourself, I'm sure you will be as dazed and amazed as i was. A truly great realmsian novel.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000