Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  13:03:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Yeah...we've pretty much known that for about six months or so now.

ursäkta men jag visste inte bättre!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  17:38:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Yeah...we've pretty much known that for about six months or so now.

ursäkta men jag visste inte bättre!

Ergdusch

And what does this mean in english? As far as we know, you could be swearing at him. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  20:01:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...you tempt me Kuje...

But it means: "excuse me I did not know any better!"

Personally I'd have added a comma after ursäkta

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  20:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew about the series, but didn't know the titles of the last two books. Since I recently fell in love with select parts of Frostburn (probably the first time that's happened in Third Edition), I'm now officially looking forward to the novel. Though, to be honest, my obsession is more on one picture, from which I've created an entire new race, a kingdom for them, and extrapolated a new ending to the Tree of Life story. It's nice when they have evocative imagery...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm..... Is Blackstaff out now??? I have money and a mind of using it proper on the purchase of the book Blackstaff!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Helo
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Helo's Homepage Send Helo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Ummm..... Is Blackstaff out now??? I have money and a mind of using it proper on the purchase of the book Blackstaff!

Some online vendors are showing it as in stock and ready to ship. Moreover, I think I saw it at the B&N near my work the other day. I just didn't have time to look closer to see if that was it.

I hope you enjoy the book.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have my thanks Helo! Now my quest of book buying begins. I shall need my money pouch, travelers clothes, a sack of carrying, two hirelings for protection during the fighting for the book (no doubt there will be a crowd), a riding horse, a days rations, I better not bring my sword (legal reasons of course). Good thing I took the unarmed fighting feat. Hmmmm..... oh and a pair of glasses of reading. That should do.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:49:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't think it would be out till July... Amazon and Barnes online say the 11th and WOTC's site says just July....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Jun 2006 22:52:29
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon can go to the Anauroch for such a late date! I like July better anyways.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:55:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amazon can go to the Anauroch for such a late date! I like July better anyways.

Well, that's why I added that Barnes online has the same date as Amazon. :)

Go to Top of Page

Helo
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  23:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Helo's Homepage Send Helo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Didn't think it would be out till July... Amazon and Barnes online say the 11th and WOTC's site says just July....

Those two online vendors are usually the last to have an item available. BAM is much better. Local B&Ns are spotty. Some seem to get FR novels in early, others much later than other stores.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:18:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I ordered it thru Amazon, and it is not yet in my hand.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:19:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helo

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Those two online vendors are usually the last to have an item available. BAM is much better. Local B&Ns are spotty. Some seem to get FR novels in early, others much later than other stores.

Yeah, I know. I don't expect this to come out, locally, till after the 11th at either my local barnes, borders, waldens, etc. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje are you saying that Zhent agents will be keeping the Novel Blackstaff out of my hands until the 11th!? I'll need to gather my apprentices and prepare for battle! The Zhents shall pay.... (Sorry for the silly monologue. I'm bored and at work and really excited about reading Blackstaff.)

(Also, I sometimes think myself funny Let me know if I am a bother.)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:35:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje are you saying that Zhent agents will be keeping the Novel Blackstaff out of my hands until the 11th!? I'll need to gather my apprentices and prepare for battle! The Zhents shall pay.... (Sorry for the silly monologue. I'm bored and at work and really excited about reading Blackstaff.)

(Also, I sometimes think myself funny Let me know if I am a bother.)

I'm saying that my local stores are as bad as Red Wizards because the local stores like to torture me by keeping the novels from being put on the shelves while everyone else has them or read them. And Red Wizards do that to thier clients. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Jul 2006 00:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Wizards? Rothe dung the lot of them! Keeping magic from their clients and the book Blackstaff as well. What dungeon must I raid in order to gain Blackstaff I wonder. I'm not going to the Chult for it. Too many snakes. I'll brave the Warlock's Crypt for Blackstaff. I won't survive but hey maybe I'll get an honorable mention for the great lengths I went (even though I be a fool) to get Blackstaff. You know, maybe in WotC next Realms of Dwarves book or something..... Gee I really hope Borders has it because I'm starting to get jittery about walking into Warlock's Crypt.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  02:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would commit crimes for Blackstaff.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  02:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crimes? Isn't it considered a crime to wander into Larloch's home? Oh wait that is called an adventure! Which is what lies in between the covers of Blackstaff!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  02:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Crimes? Isn't it considered a crime to wander into Larloch's home? Oh wait that is called an adventure! Which is what lies in between the covers of Blackstaff!

Oh, a double entrendre! Nice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  02:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my 200th post I will say this. If you don't buy Blacksaff then that my dear fellow sages is a crime. Steven Schend has put this book together for the fans because we called forth a challenge. "Write more of the one called the Nameless Chosen." Let us make this book a bestseller!!!!! Ouch! Who just pulled my soap box out from under me? Must be the Zhents. Now where are my apprentices? Oh yeah, I sent them to search for Blackstaff. I should have left one here so that they could have brewed a nice evening tea. Oh well, maybe a cantrip could fix my thirst. Or maybe that black....staff lying on the ground over there could help me brew a cup of tea. Wait a sec, better not. I heard of a great mage who wanders the Faerun with such a staff. He was called the Nameless one. Wait if he is nameless then who is he? Levar Burton from reading rainbow walks into scene and says, "To find out, you'll just have to read the book." Thanks Levar Burton.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  18:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

>ahem<

Wouldst thou, indeed? Let us talk about the tel'teukiira, then....

K

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 01 Jul 2006 18:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its official release date is still July 11, alas. I've finally gotten my author copies, and I'm very happy to have a few copies in my hands (all of which are accounted for, I'm afraid...). Very nice cover treatment after all....and I can't wait for all y'all to get it as well.

Steven
Who can't hope the books go on sale early, as that'd be in violation of certain rules with distributors, but he hopes the wait isn't too tortuous with only 10 days to go....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  18:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For my 200th post I will say this. If you don't buy Blacksaff then that my dear fellow sages is a crime. Steven Schend has put this book together for the fans because we called forth a challenge. "Write more of the one called the Nameless Chosen." Let us make this book a bestseller!!!!! Ouch! Who just pulled my soap box out from under me? Must be the Zhents. Now where are my apprentices? Oh yeah, I sent them to search for Blackstaff. I should have left one here so that they could have brewed a nice evening tea. Oh well, maybe a cantrip could fix my thirst. Or maybe that black....staff lying on the ground over there could help me brew a cup of tea. Wait a sec, better not. I heard of a great mage who wanders the Faerun with such a staff. He was called the Nameless one. Wait if he is nameless then who is he? Levar Burton from reading rainbow walks into scene and says, "To find out, you'll just have to read the book." Thanks Levar Burton.

"Ye don't want a blackstaff's help in making tea. They're lousy cooks and tend to steep it too longly." E

"Thine folk of Shadowdale drink their tea too weak for the palates of true Waterdhavians." K

"Neither of you is worth a wand's weight as a cook, so best ye both be quiet." L

Edited by - Steven Schend on 01 Jul 2006 18:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  04:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

>ahem<

Wouldst thou, indeed? Let us talk about the tel'teukiira, then....

K

Oho!

Khelben, I do believe you've already sent a letter to one of my characters...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Although not yet released, i'd just like to scribe a note herein that the Blackstaff threads are now available in the Candlekeep Book Club, for those wishing to participate at this level of discussion

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  03:29:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Although not yet released, i'd just like to scribe a note herein that the Blackstaff threads are now available in the Candlekeep Book Club, for those wishing to participate at this level of discussion

I just hope I get the book in time to actually participate, for once!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  08:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I just hope I get the book in time to actually participate, for once!

Well met

Worry not, Wooly. Most don't get hold of the novels until towards the end of the month. Even so, discussions run well into the next month and beyond Remember, the book club discussions may start in the month of release, but there is no closing date at all.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  10:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. I think I may try to order this off of Amazon.com and participate in my first Book Club discussion. Wish me luck.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  20:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mazrim, I was thinking about doing the same thing! See ya in the book club section.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  10:28:21  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
********MASSIVE SPOILERS**********

WOW

Where to begin. Just finished the book this morning. Can't make an indepth post im at work. This book is an RSE (well 2 i would say), an awful lot happens and it is so densely packed with realmslore I don't even know where to begin. It's a great read, and a rollcoaster of a ride.

1)The High Moor is no more, viva las Miyeritar teh returnof Rhymanthiin, City of Hope
2)Farewell Khelbun Arunsun, you've earned Arvandor

And as per usual good Mr Schend perpetuates at least half a dozen hooks at the end which would all be deemed worthy of there own books. wow. Im still in shock. Awesome, awesome book. Even though the realms is now bereft of Khelbun, it now has 5 Mages of Note returned, not least of which is the doughty Mentor Wintercloak of Myth Drannor. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. And i've not even mentioned the twins that Laeral is now carrying! Well i guess i just did!

Sweet water, and light laughter till next we meet.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 04 Jul 2006 10:33:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page