Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where are the Nether Scrolls?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  16:37:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have the sarrukh managed to find some of the scrolls? After all, they were the ones who created them in the first place.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 13 Nov 2005 19:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Dair Targ
Acolyte

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Dair Targ's Homepage Send Dair Targ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse my question, but if the highest spell's level is 9 now (in 3rd edition), what usable can be in these scrolls? And what spells/knowleges/etc. Nether scrolls are contains? Where I can read about it (or where I can take LEoF)?

Our world is beautiful. Just wake up and look around. May the nightmare woun't come to you next night...
Go to Top of Page

Tathral
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  07:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Tathral's Homepage Send Tathral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Have the sarrukh managed to find some of the scrolls? After all, they were the ones who created them in the first place.

Actually, the sarrukh were just one of three races (as opposed to my earlier statement that there were only two races involved. My apologies) that compiled a collection of human, and possibly other races', magic in several tomes. The secret organization of the Ba'etith comprised of "the most magically gifted among the sarrukh and their servitor races... consolidated and extrapolated the bounds of their newly found knowledge" to create the Nether scrolls "thousands of years after the fall of the Empires." This, along with the fact that the batrachi and aearee each contributed to the collection of lore that was to become the Nether Scrolls, raises an important point.

Presumably none of the surrakh knew about the Scales of the World Serpent; the organization that created them was secret, and the creation didn't happen until after the fall of the empires. Whether this means after the fall of the all three creator races involved in creation, or just the sarrukh, the point is moot. The sarrukh who knew about the Scrolls were few and far between. To me this implies that the sarrukh in the Realms are not any more likely to have one or more of the Nether Scrolls than any other powerful race. If one of the Ba'etith or knowledge of the group’s existence was found by the sarrukh, they may be able to interpret and utilize it better than other races. That, however, is just my personal supposition. I can't recall any canon material that details the possession of a Nether Scroll in the hands of the recognized sarrukh nations. The sarrukh lich Hssthak does have two of the Scrolls in his tomb. The sarrukh kings of Oreme may also have some of the scrolls, as it was one of them that lead the Netherese arcanist to discover them in the first place. Aside from that, there was nothing I could find.

And Dair Targ, please read the previous posts in a thread before posting. All of your questions have previously been answered, with the possible exception of what LEoF stands for. LEoF means Lost Empires of Faerun, a source book in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

OFF TOPIC: BTW, does anyone know of a specific source that says the batrachi were the race responsible for the actual formation of the Scrolls? I’m sure I saw it somewhere, and it is chronologically feasible for a few of the batrachi Ba’etith to have survived the thousand years of aearee rule so that they could include the race’s contribution in the artifacts. PM me with a response if you know please. And has anyone in Candlekeep penned an indepth history of the Nether Scrolls?

Edited by - Tathral on 18 Nov 2005 07:30:02
Go to Top of Page

Azazel
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  09:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Azazel's Homepage Send Azazel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also quite interested in the Nether Scrolls, the following are from different posts i made a while ago on the WotC forum regarding the second set of Nether Scrolls:

-2436 DR: An unknown thief returns seven of Netheril's remaining Nether Scrolls to the ancient ruins of the Iqua Tel-Quessir (Creator Races). Three of the Nether Scrolls are placed in the Hall of Mist beneath the Grandfather Tree, and two other scrolls are placed in the Crypt of Hssthak. The location of the two other scrolls remains unknown.

-1896 DR: Twenty-four of the remaining Nether Scrolls are stolen.

-664 DR: The remaining Nether Scrolls are stolen en route to Eileanar (Karsus' enclave).

About the -1896 DR theft:

In the year 1963 NY (-1896 DR) Netheril bore witness to an internal menace; citizens who had little aptitude or respect for magic. Nine men broke into the "Most Holy and Magical Chamber of Ioulaum the Demidivine", killing nine guards in the process and losing seven of thir numbers, to steal 24 parts of the Nether Scrolls. When the thieves escaped to the surface world, a manhunt began. The thieves, fearfull of the archwizard's retribution, pounded the priceless golden scrolls into indiscernable baubles. They then sold these gold nuggets, receiving about 260 gp in gold coins.

About the Nether Scrolls:

The Nether Scrolls were immune to all magical effects, including disintegration spells and other harmful magic. They could be hammered into unrecognizable mass, howerver, as was demonstrated a few times in Netheril's long history. Eventually, the magic of the Nether Scroll would recombine lost pieces of itself, but the time required for such a rebirth was long (it's unknown if it as reformed currently, but the Netherese never saw the scrolls reform themselves).

According to the above, those 24 stolen scrolls that have been pounded into gold nuggets have or will eventually reform themselves, i am not sure this is valid if they were smelted, although it does say that they can recombine lost pieces.

The 2 sets of Nether Scrolls were not entirely identical, one set looked much older and tarnished than the other. This might indicate that they were not created at the same time. On a sidenote, the set stolen by the elves of Cormanthyr was the newer-looking one.

This is what George Krashos wrote about the Nether Scrolls a while back:

Serpent Kingdoms states that the magical organisation known as the Ba'etith created them (p.97) in c. -30000 DR: note that this is my dating based on the timeline given on p.186 and the contents of p.97. What is interesting about this is that the Ba'etith was originally a sarrukh organisation. However, with the fall of the sarrukh empire of Isstosseffifil, the Ba'etith was in turn controlled by the other "Creator Races" - the batrachi and aearee - over the next several millenia. Again, see Serpent Kingdoms, p.97 for this. This source states that the Nether Scrolls were created over millenia and that they looked at the primitive magic employed by all races of that time - this could mean that the Nether Scrolls were created not only by the sarrukh, but also by the batrachi and the aearee through the vehicle of the Ba'etith. So, to say that they were created by the sarrukh alone is probably not quite right.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000