Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Questions about the Time of Troubles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarolinaPaladin
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  18:54:56  Show Profile  Visit CarolinaPaladin's Homepage Send CarolinaPaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know there might be a question just like this, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I know that Ao is supposed to be the overdeity who keeps the other deities in line. I know that he punished the demi-human gods during the Time of Troubles, but that's what I don't get. These deities also existed in other Material Planes (Greyhawk, etc.); what happened to these worlds? Did Ao talk with the overdeities of these Material Planes about this?

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  20:03:26  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure, but I think that only Faerunian pantheon was affected by Ao's "wrath". Remember that the action that started it was the robbery of the Tablets of Destiny, stolen by Faerunian gods. So they were the ones punished by the over-god. If I am not mistaken, after all I am a follower of Forgotten Realms, not Greyhawk,...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  20:15:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the deities were cast down. However it was only thier avatars that were cast down and so most of the multisphereic deities weren't killed, or if they were then they were brought back to life.

But with the new cosmology retcon this no longer matters because the named beings are not the same named beings between the different and seperate cosmologies. I.E. Lloth of Greyhawk is no longer the Lloth of FR except in name only.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Oct 2005 20:16:46
Go to Top of Page

CarolinaPaladin
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit CarolinaPaladin's Homepage Send CarolinaPaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in other words, what happened during the Time of Troubles didn't affect other Material Planes.

I have not yet begun to adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  00:36:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaPaladin

So in other words, what happened during the Time of Troubles didn't affect other Material Planes.

Right if you use the new planes or if you use the old planes then it didn't effect the other crystal spheres. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  02:03:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaPaladin

Right if you use the new planes or if you use the old planes then it didn't effect the other crystal spheres. :)

Indeed.

Carolina, for more on this issue of new vs. old planes, see the Candlekeep Code of Conduct -- specifically Section D: 1. The Forgotten Realms Cosmology (2ed. To 3ed.):- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5109

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Oct 2005 02:04:02
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  02:20:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, especially in the change to 3E - everything got turned on its head in one way or another.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  03:17:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For more info about what various deities were doing during the Time of Troubles, look here. Be wary of spoilers, if you've not read the Avatar trilogy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CarolinaPaladin
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  17:31:07  Show Profile  Visit CarolinaPaladin's Homepage Send CarolinaPaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read the Avatar trilogy (a friend of mine loaned it to me a while back). I was surprised to read a book in which one of the characters is talking to the reader.

I have not yet begun to adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  18:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you refering to the statement AO makes in the end?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000