Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which FR source book are you most hanging for?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Thomas Reid Mysteries of the moonsea covers the areas defined as the Moonsea in the FRC so no Vaasa no The Ride and No Dalelands

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:47:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones

I would also be in favour of a Dragon Coast sourcebook. I set most of my games in Elversult (a city which hasn't really been documented in anything other than Temple Hill).

Now that, I like the sound of.

Of course, it's likely that any type of sourcebook that deals with the Dragon Coast will also have to cover Cormyr as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Oct 2005 02:48:09
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  03:40:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Dragon Coast sourcebook would likely include the Pirate Isles and not Cormyr. Cormyr would likely also deal with border regions such as the Stonelands and the Tun Plain. If they lumped Cormyr and Dragon Coast together, I think the product would suffer overrall - especially if we are talking 160 pages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  05:44:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A Dragon Coast sourcebook would likely include the Pirate Isles and not Cormyr.
Actually, you're right... that would seem more appropriate.

Could we include Westgate into such a tome though?

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  09:11:21  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mysteries of the Moonsea. I assume that, with time, I might buy all the books, but Mysteries of the Moonsea is the one that I finf most interesting at this time ...

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  11:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Dragon Coast/Pirate Isles/Westgate book would have me camping outside my Games Shop.
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  12:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Westgate would have to be in the book. It's as good as the capital of the Dragon Coast, and possibly one of the most corrupt cities in Faerun without being out and out ruled by an evil organisation.

Some coverage on the Pirate Isles would be useful too, I admit. I'm not sure how much was covered in the Sea of Fallen Stars book though, as I've never seen it.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  08:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for MoM, but it's really a toss up with PoF. The writers for PoF grab my attention, but I haven't ever ran a campaign in FR where anyone was over 10th level.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  10:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm very excited about Mysteries of the Moonsea This is just what i'm after, i've long loved the region and the Zhentarim so hopefully this will be one hell of a product!

I'm much more looking forward to Powers of Faerűn also, since the Hooded One gave more information about it. Sounds VERY interesting, so this comes a close second.

I really enjoyed Champions of Ruin so hopefully this counterpart will also be very good, although of a little less use to me personally.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  05:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm, I like the sound of a Dalelands or Cormyr sourcebook. They can't ignore Cormyr for much longer!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

LordKerwyn
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  02:50:36  Show Profile  Visit LordKerwyn's Homepage Send LordKerwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to keep it to those three, I would have to say Powers of Faerun....but I'd like to see another Cult of the Dragon handbook, similar to the black-covered one that 2E came out with. I use COTD as my main villains in my campaign, and I'd like to see a 3E version of it...it would save me a lot of headaches!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  02:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually think we might get a Dragon Coast or Cormyr source book this year.

Anyone else remember back when the PGTF came out that there was supposed to be a Fire knife Assasin PrC that was cut and was suppose to appear in a future product. Now it hasnt appeared in any FR product since then and I dont think it fits into one of the announced products ie Champions of Ruin or Mysteries of the Moonsea. It could I guess be in Powers of Faerun which tells players how to create Noble houses, Guilds etc.

But Im going to put my money on a Lake of Dragons which detail the Dragon Coast and Cormyr (and maybe even Sembia because it doesnt really fit in anywhere) for late 2006

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  03:43:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

But Im going to put my money on a Lake of Dragons which detail the Dragon Coast and Cormyr (and maybe even Sembia because it doesnt really fit in anywhere) for late 2006
I'm thinking more in line with what Krash said earlier when I mentioned much the same -- a Dragon Coast sourcebook would likely only focus on the southern coast of the Lake of Dragons in addition to the Pirate Isles of the Inner Sea. Cormyr on its own just has too much history and culture for it to be satisfyingly included in a sourcebook that also covers additional regions... and this includes Sembia.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2005 03:49:18
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  14:40:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think they need an update to Cormyr and Sembia in 3E - they have tons of stories that are sitting there in books that came out when 2e was the game, but they have stopped producing the 2e products that support/inform about the novels. I think that people will want a sourcebook that they can go to after reading the Sembia novels or any of the Cormyr stuff (i.e. "Cormyr")

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  14:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone else remember back when the PGTF came out that there was supposed to be a Fire knife Assasin PrC that was cut and was suppose to appear in a future product.

I dunno. I believe Rich wrote somewhere he was surprised it did not appear in Champions of Ruin.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  18:34:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, I've talked to a must-be-remain nameless WotC source, to a Wizards publicist at GenCon, and to Ed about Power of Faerun, and I'd say your one-line capsule of it at the head of this poll is a trifle misleading.
It's going to be a lot closer to something like this:

How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

In some cases that COULD be building a power base, yes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  18:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dargoth, I've talked to a must-be-remain nameless WotC source, to a Wizards publicist at GenCon, and to Ed about Power of Faerun, and I'd say your one-line capsule of it at the head of this poll is a trifle misleading.

How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

love,
THO

oo, social climbing. Even better.

I don't suppose there are any details on noble ladies' tea circles?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  01:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the information my lady.

A further question... Are the samples for the court, palace, and fortress already established locations in the Realms, or will they be entirely new elements written specifically for this tome?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  01:59:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, now, that'd be TELLING.
And as much as I like the taste of the lash, NDAs are hard and sharp and not nice at all.
Which is what Ed gently reminded me of, when I relayed your query to him.
He DID, however, add a grin.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  02:03:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Postscript:
I spoke up about Power when I read Mr. Wilson's post, and realized that some scribes here might vote on the basis of thinking Power was a book just for players of high-level characters.
Not so.
ALL of my three sources said it was for DMs and for players of characters of any level (after all, a highly-ranked courtier can be just an Exp1).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  02:21:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooooh, now, that'd be TELLING.
And as much as I like the taste of the lash, NDAs are hard and sharp and not nice at all.
Which is what Ed gently reminded me of, when I relayed your query to him.
He DID, however, add a grin.

love,
THO

A grin... How fiendish .

I appreciate the effort, despite the lack of any specific answer. Thanks THO .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  02:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

Ok changed it (By which I mean I cut and pasted what you siad)

Hmm not sure how I feel about Power of Faerun now.. The New description makes it sound like PoF will be a primer for Faerunian Politics 101... and while it might be handy for characters playing Nobles or in campaigns that focus heavily on Internal politics in organisations it would seem to be less useful for your Dungeon crawl type adventuring party. Admitedly we only have about a paragraph of info for PoF.....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  03:39:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

love,
THO

Ok changed it (By which I mean I cut and pasted what you siad)

Hmm not sure how I feel about Power of Faerun now.. The New description makes it sound like PoF will be a primer for Faerunian Politics 101... and while it might be handy for characters playing Nobles or in campaigns that focus heavily on Internal politics in organisations it would seem to be less useful for your Dungeon crawl type adventuring party. Admitedly we only have about a paragraph of info for PoF.....

Actually, taking into consideration Ed's earlier comments to me about what I'd thought about the book and it's proposed content, and the little tidbits the Lady Hooded One has dropped here and there, I find myself increasingly looking forward to this work with each passing month.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2005 03:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  03:58:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phlan was one of my first "gaming" exposures to the Realms. I had the Campaign setting and modules, but never had a gaming group in the Realms until way later.

It's sad that they decided to go in such a disappointing direction with those novels. Oh well, least it's long past.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  04:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that makes Sage the "Anti Dargoth"

I started out liking the product but as more info come out the less interest Ive had in PoF

Sage on the otherhand started out disinterested in PoF but has come to like it with the release of more info

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  05:51:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I started out liking the product but as more info come out the less interest Ive had in PoF

Sage on the otherhand started out disinterested in PoF but has come to like it with the release of more info

What can I say... I like sourcebooks that have particular focus on campaign elements such as courts and other political/clerical power structures. 'Tis probably why I still enjoy reading the various kings and royal lineage sourcebooks for the BIRTHRIGHT setting...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  06:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

What can I say... I like sourcebooks that have particular focus on campaign elements such as courts and other political/clerical power structures. 'Tis probably why I still enjoy reading the various kings and royal lineage sourcebooks for the BIRTHRIGHT setting...

I wonder if this means George will Neutral...

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  06:49:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A Postscript:
I spoke up about Power when I read Mr. Wilson's post, and realized that some scribes here might vote on the basis of thinking Power was a book just for players of high-level characters.
Not so.
ALL of my three sources said it was for DMs and for players of characters of any level (after all, a highly-ranked courtier can be just an Exp1).
love,
THO

And looking at the writers you know that you're going to get realmslore - somewhere in there in all those horrible stats and tables.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  14:15:58  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, I just can't wait for them all. I have immediately elements of my game that any of those sourcebooks will help.

And to ask, when is the release date for the Moonsea book? I have to make sure I get my book allowance all those months. Wife is a stickler on it.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  14:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power brokering is definitely of more interest to me when I'm looking at setting up a mostly urban based campaign. I did say POF could likely swing me around.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000