Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Favorite forgotten realm?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

kaeso
Seeker

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  03:35:04  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the Underdark, Waterdeep, and the Moonsea. The Underdark is mysterious and exotic, Waterdeep is simply amazing, and the Moonsea has a lot of potential- it's so corrupt, it's perfect for a heroic, espionage-ish campaign as a member of the Nights of the North. Since I can't choose the Underdark or Moonsea, Waterdeep it is!

Great literature is escapist, but it changes you, and you come back to your world with new eyes. D&D is the first game that's ever done that for me.
-Sumana Harihareswara

Edited by - kaeso on 18 Jul 2006 03:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  17:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say a combination of the Sword Coast and the North. Mostly because of the cities, Waterdeep, Mirabar, Neverwinter, Luskan, among other places like Mithral Hall. Waterdeep in and of itself has got to be one of my favorite places in all the realms, plus you get dragons, orcs, and all other kinds of stuff. I don't usually like dealing with places like Calimshan, or the Thayvians on the other end
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  13:05:35  Show Profile  Click to see Zimme's MSN Messenger address Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Sword coast. but the moonsea and the underdark is without question my favorite hunting grounds! but every place has its charm. ;)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  19:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the North because we have always had great campaigns there over the years from the old Grey Box to 3.5. What a long strange trip it's been. From stopping an orc horde that was descending on Silverymoon to being orc champions leading a horde of orcs that was churning through the Silver Marches like a riding lawnmover through crabgrass (until all those pesky dwarves got their act together and collectively kicked are arses back to the mountains. Oh what a long strange trip it's been.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  15:57:32  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshae of course, I especially like Synnoria community.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  22:19:56  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is hard I like ALL the Realms but to pick one area hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

No can't do it, not one but three

The North ( the only one listed )
The Cold Lands : Damara, Vassa, Narfell.
The Underdark

I like the whole idea of being alone against the harsh enviroment and even harsher enemies, plus I Love Cracking Orc Heads!!!!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  01:37:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went with the North slightly over the Sword Coast.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Silvanus79
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  15:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Silvanus79's Homepage Send Silvanus79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A difficult choice... I have a fondness for Cormyr, though the war kinda tore that place apart. The Dales and Sword Coast are also favorites. Halruaa is absolutely wonderful, but not quite what we're looking for. I found that my final choice was decided by a campaign I once ran in which the Riders of Nesme valiantly faced down a charge of ogres, giant orcs, and other beasties with the help of a party of adventurers, and so the North, specifically Nesme, takes home the award.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  16:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that no one voted for Mulhorand and that Unther area.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Rezzenthell
Seeker

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  17:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Rezzenthell's Homepage  Send Rezzenthell an AOL message Send Rezzenthell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Neverwinter, especially the cloak tower.

Prepare to be abysserated fool !!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  14:33:19  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rezzenthell

I like Neverwinter, especially the cloak tower.

I agree. I would love to have more info on Neverwinter

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

szasstamsgroupie
Seeker

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  22:57:10  Show Profile  Visit szasstamsgroupie's Homepage  Send szasstamsgroupie a Yahoo! Message Send szasstamsgroupie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anywhere Szass Tam is (Thay). ***Sigh*** He is sooo dreamy. LOL.

Talk nerdy to me, baby!
Go to Top of Page

vicar
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  20:31:55  Show Profile  Visit vicar's Homepage Send vicar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, my beloved Moonshae is losing badly in thne polls! Who'd have thunk it; I love the Moonshaes. Sembia too.

The Vicar
Geeklabel.com
T-Shirts for geeks, gamers & tech-heads
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1063 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  20:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Cormyr.

Hail to the King.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  00:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tricky qestion...I like most settings to be honest.But the top three would be Waterdeep and the North, The Lands of Intrigue and Cormyr prior to Azounīs death.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  23:04:51  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vicar

Wow, my beloved Moonshae is losing badly in thne polls! Who'd have thunk it; I love the Moonshaes. Sembia too.

well. you must like diversity. But I like the Moonshaes. Nothing has been done with that area in quite sometime. I have the 1e sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  00:37:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by vicar

well. you must like diversity. But I like the Moonshaes. Nothing has been done with that area in quite sometime. I have the 1e sourcebook.

There's also Ed's Halls of the High King, which I feel goes some way toward naturalizing Doug's independently conceived Moonshae Isles into the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  07:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay All the way
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  11:18:20  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Coast/North its classic, its colourfull, its Forgotten Realms
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  23:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm...Favorite Forgotten Realm...Well, Baldur's Gate is as close to home as it gets...That's where I grew up, I tell you! 'Twas Minsc and Boo and I...Then there's Aglarond, which I like because it's Elvish, like Aglaranna! It translates into 'Shining House' or something...I think Aglaranna is 'Shining Moon', but I can't really remember...But my absolute favorite Forgotten Realm must be Halruaa! Except for their politics. Scary.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  00:59:36  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Sword Coast/North its classic, its colourfull, its Forgotten Realms

Have ta agree with MV here.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  02:52:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

Hm...Favorite Forgotten Realm...Well, Baldur's Gate is as close to home as it gets...That's where I grew up, I tell you! 'Twas Minsc and Boo and I...Then there's Aglarond, which I like because it's Elvish, like Aglaranna! It translates into 'Shining House' or something...I think Aglaranna is 'Shining Moon', but I can't really remember...But my absolute favorite Forgotten Realm must be Halruaa! Except for their politics. Scary.

Aglaranna is indeed Shining Moon, but, IIRC, it's in an ancient version of the elven tongue. And Elvandar isn't to be found in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  20:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I have to bend the laws of the time/space continuum with an interdimensional portal to get there... Interdimensional portals are very hard to find!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush

Edited by - Aglaranna on 18 Dec 2006 20:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  13:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very taken with Amn since I began researching its lore for a NWN2 persistent world project set to begin in Amn in the early winter of 1370 (see sig).

To be honest, based strictly on my experience from the Baldur's Gate II game I can't say I was all that enthused about Amn. But since I began pouring over Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Sands, and studying up on the monster races of the Sythillisian Empire, I find the tensions built in to this setting make it about as dynamic as you could ever hope for.

For example, I love the fact that you have ogres, Underdark hobgoblins, goblins, kobolds, hill giants, and human Cyricists occupying the grand, highly cultured Amnian cities such of Esmeltaran and Murann. Those races are so often just cannon fodder in a campaign, so to get a glimpse of them up close is very fresh material to work with. Eg, what are the cultures of these monster races like? How do they interact with one another? How did Sythillis manage to bring all these monster races together? What will Tethyr do in response to all this? How are Amnians, with all their internal plots and intrigues dealing with the occupation, and handling this invasion in general? And so forth.

I will always have a fondess for the Western Heartlands from the BG games, but I'm increasingly drawn to the lands to the south: Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan, Lapaliiya, the Shaar, Great Rift, Halruaa, Dambrath, Lurien, and the "Shining Lands" of Durpar, Var the Golden, and Estagund. I'm interested in developing these as campaign worlds with the same level of detail as the (seemingly more popular) lands to the north, working with a team to add nuance and detail to them.
Go to Top of Page

Danubus36
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  18:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Danubus36's Homepage Send Danubus36 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im a big fan of the Western Heartlands and Cold Lands. After doing a lot of research about Tiamat I'm also rathe jazzed about Unther and the surrounding regions like Chessenta.

ADM of Cold Lands server-ALFA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000