Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ilserv, mind flayer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  03:34:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, I found some info in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark about a mind flayer that was a stone statue in Mirt's garden for a few decades. He then escaped and returned to Ch'Chitl (1367 DR).

What I want to know is if he was part of a novel/short story/etc.. or if he's just a little bit of lore of that particuliar book?

I found nothing about in in any other Waterdeep book.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  04:34:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi, I found some info in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark about a mind flayer that was a stone statue in Mirt's garden for a few decades. He then escaped and returned to Ch'Chitl (1367 DR).

What I want to know is if he was part of a novel/short story/etc.. or if he's just a little bit of lore of that particuliar book?

I found nothing about in in any other Waterdeep book.

Ilserv the illithid was from the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic book, specifically the "Catspaw Quartet" story arc (I want to say it was issues 9-12).

It's been a while since I read those comics, so I don't quite recall what Ilserv was doing... At the end, though, he was trying to hit an illusion of Khelben Arunson with a mind blast. Xanathar the beholder was across the room, and fired a flesh to stone eye at the illusion. Since it was an illusion, both effects simply passed thru it, hitting the baddie on the other side.

I believe his stony body was stolen during the AD&D Annual.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  06:07:47  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From the FR Mailing List FAQ;

"4.21. Who's Ilserv? Is he stone? Is he dead? Is he smashed?

On page 45 of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark there is an illithid (Ilserv) who is mentioned as once having been petrified by Xanathar and kept in Mirt's garden. He was later returned to flesh. This illithid is the one who was petrified in the AD&D comic series #12.

A contradictory reference, however has the Statue/petrified illithid destroyed (or rather smashed into a lot of small pieces) in the Forgotten Realms comic series Annual 1. This makes the reference (in DDGttU) that it was later returned to the flesh difficult to understand. After all the chances of Mirt having two statues of illithids in his garden, both of which were petrified by Xanathar, is very small at best.

Here's a couple of fixes to the contradiction:

Solution #1) That was the fake statue Mirt kept around because it was always getting stolen. The real one remained in his garden, permanently invisible.

Solution #2) Mirt predicted the attack and had a temporary statue placed there briefly.

Solution #3) It was the real Ilserv, but Mirt had a wizard put it back together for him, so upset was he to lose such an interesting conversation piece."

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  06:42:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's Eric's reply from the Q&A chat session about Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

The original copy can be found here:- http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/eb-ddgttu.htm

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Oct 2005 06:43:02
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  06:58:49  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mmm. I knew I had it stored somewhere else. Then again, I never overlook an opportunity to pimp the FR-L. Especially when the FAQ is hosted Right Here on Candlekeep.

And, for the record, I would go with Solution #3. Interesting conversation piece indeed...

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  07:20:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Mmm. I knew I had it stored somewhere else. Then again, I never overlook an opportunity to pimp the FR-L. Especially when the FAQ is hosted Right Here on Candlekeep.
Hehe...

I still refer to your "Pages from the Sages" sections sometimes. I've got them all saved to my HD of course, but when you're at work and need a quick FR reference from a particular author or game designer, it's a handy online resource to have bookmarked.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Oct 2005 07:21:26
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  14:25:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilserv shows up again in my conversion notes for "Hall of Harsh Reflections" (posted yesterday, Dungeon #127), part of Dungeon magazine's Age of Worms campaign arc.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  15:44:33  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Ilserv shows up again in my conversion notes for "Hall of Harsh Reflections" (posted yesterday, Dungeon #127), part of Dungeon magazine's Age of Worms campaign arc.

--Eric

What is he doing right now? Isn`t he quite pissed off at the Xanathar for petrifying him and at Mirt for keeping him as garden decoration?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  16:32:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

What is he doing right now? Isn`t he quite pissed off at the Xanathar for petrifying him and at Mirt for keeping him as garden decoration?

Trying to restablish control over Ch'Chitl's errant druuth ...

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  17:20:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Unless I am mistaken, it was the original Xanathar who did that to Ilserv -- not the Eye, who's now known as "the Xanathar".

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  08:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

And, for the record, I would go with Solution #3. Interesting conversation piece indeed...

Well met

Thank ye, AJA, much appreciated. I wasn't sure how many still refer to the FAQ, being as it is considerably out of date. I would very much love to see this addressed but my numerous attempts to contact the maintainers have failed

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly