Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 About geographic names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  05:44:31  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Some more questions:
1. I've read in "Volo's Guide to Dalelands" that Deepingdale is named after Deeping princess. What does "Deeping" mean in this context?
2. Who was Vilhon? Or why Vilhon Reach is called like that?
3. Is Archenbridge called like that because bridge has arches or because it is across Archen river?
4. Why Farsea Marches are called like that?

Yours Faithfully, Konstantin aka Eomer

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  07:14:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 -- The actual context for Imryll Eluarshee being the "Deeping Princess" refers to the geographical region... the Deeping Stream which is the area around which the Dale lies.

2 -- The 2e tome The Vilhon Reach states that the region received its name for the sea that surrounds it. As I recall, there isn't any particular details about who or what Vilhon was, if indeed the region was named after a person.

3 -- The river is called Arkhen. Perhaps over time, references to the town of "Arkhenbridge" were slowly changed to Archenbridge.

4 -- I recall a reference to a "Farsea Lake", so named before the dropping water levels left the region full of boggy marshes. Perhaps the "Farsea" name was derived from the lake's relative distance from the nearest body of water, in this case the Dragonmere -- it being "far from the sea".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Sep 2005 07:16:21
Go to Top of Page

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  12:35:27  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much.
1. Is she realy named for the stream? That's strange. Is that stream going underground or deepening into earth?
2. that's a pity.
3. Understood
4. I thought like that, but wanted to verify :lol:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:44:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eomer

1. Is she realy named for the stream? That's strange. Is that stream going underground or deepening into earth?
Well, Deepingdale was founded and named for Imryll Eluarshee, and we know she was of the royal blood of Cormanthyr. The Deeping Princess was a title she adopted, taking it from the Glaemril (Deeping Stream).

Go to Top of Page

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  13:41:04  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more questions:
1. Is Archenwood named after the river?
2. Ascalhorn is named after rock it is build on. Is the name of the rock the same? And are there any clues as to who that Ascal could be?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  03:18:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eomer

Some more questions:
1. Is Archenwood named after the river?
2. Ascalhorn is named after rock it is build on. Is the name of the rock the same? And are there any clues as to who that Ascal could be?

I actually think (and this is my opinion) that the place is named after the dragon Arkhenthus "the Mage Devourer" who was slain by a group of flying, sword-wielding elves and humans (the first time N'Tel'Quess had been included in such an event - see the "Cormanthyr" accessory and "Volo's Guide to the Dalelands"). I'm postulating that the site of Arkhenthus' demise was present-day Archendale and that his name eventually evolved into Arkhen and then Archendale. But hey, they're just my lunatic ravings.

As for Ascalhorn, this was named after the original elven settlement which was Ascal's Horn, named for the elf who built the first tower here on a big rock outcropping.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot. Actualy I think like you - that the river is named after that dragon. And thank you for info on Ascal horn.

Go to Top of Page

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  13:20:11  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more questions (if you wonder why I'am asking them - then I will answer. I'am translating FR into Russian)
1. Does "bark" in Trolbark forest mean skin of trolls or sounds they make(barking like a dog)?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  19:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed "Trollbark" is a reference to tree bark. But what do I know?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  23:09:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I've always assumed it meant that the area was crawling with trolls -- so many that they're as thick as the bark on the trees.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  02:39:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For some reason, I've always assumed it meant that the area was crawling with trolls -- so many that they're as thick as the bark on the trees.

Aye. I'd also thought it was due to the increased troll activity, mostly in the vicinity of the Troll Hills.

And the name "Trollbark" might actually just reflect the fact that trolls are also apparent in depths of the forest.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Oct 2005 02:40:34
Go to Top of Page

eomer
Acolyte

Russia
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  10:09:38  Show Profile  Visit eomer's Homepage Send eomer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'am so confused. This makes matters even more complicated. I don't know how to translate it :(

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000