Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster's daughter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nagitiveD
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  03:47:53  Show Profile  Visit nagitiveD's Homepage Send nagitiveD a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just read Elminster's daughter and was wondering if the essence of Mystra's chosen can be passed on to thier offsping ,and if so would the silver fire be lessend in its abilities.

EDIT: Moved to the appropriate forum section by your friendly cyberhood moderator -- The Sage .

Brendon Graycloak

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 04:12:01

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  04:29:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not as such, no. The select children of each of Mystra's Chosen haven't particularly displayed any real abilities with regard to either silverfire or the Mystra's Chosen powers of their parents. There have, of course, been many examples of offspring from Chosen of Mystra parents, but there has been no specific details or lore about whether these particular offspring have any of the powers of their parents.

None of the children from any of the Seven Sisters have ever displayed any significant abilities because of the blood in their veins. Maura certainly hasn't and neither has Qilue's daughter. There isn't much canon material to support, with complete certainty, whether Alustriel's daughters have any abilities, but given the examples of other offspring from some of the Seven Sisters, it also seems unlikely. In addition, the male offspring of Dove has also shown no proficiency. And even considering the case of Narna, neither does Elminster's offspring.

Oh, and we have little information about Khelben's offspring, so we can't make any completely accurate assumptions there either.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 04:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  05:26:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the fact that Alustriel's sons haven't demonstrated any Chosen abilities.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  05:51:43  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Don't forget the fact that Alustriel's sons haven't demonstrated any Chosen abilities.

Neither has the living members of the Royal Family of Cormyr, since I believe they are his kids/grandkids/great grandkids.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:22:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but what's going to happen when Khelben and Laeral have children ...?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:30:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Confound it .

I knew I forgot some offspring somewhere along the way.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos
An angle to explore in Steven's upcoming BLACKSTAFF novel next years perhaps...

As an aside to this though, have any DMs in their own home campaigns ever allowed the offspring of certain Chosen of Mystra to inherit any particular abilities because of who their parents were?

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 06:32:52
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:33:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
As an aside to this though, have any DMs in their own home campaigns ever allowed the offspring of certain Chosen of Mystra to have any particular abilities because of who their parents were?

Not really, since I very rarely use any of the Iconic NPCs in my campaigns.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:48:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't allow it either, and not only because I only very rarely use Mytra's Chosen in my campaigns.

Regardless of how tight a rein a DM holds on his or her campaign... allowing such an element into a game leaves the campaign open to potential abuse -- suddenly every PC will be an offspring of this or that Chosen, each brimming with some measure of their parents power.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 07:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that atleast the children of the seven sisters should be aasimar. Their grandma was a goddess.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  08:23:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers and abilities aren't what it should be about - it's people themselves that are far more interesting. Take Shadowdale for example. Mourngrym and Shaerl have a son Scotti. Dove and Florin have a son Azalar. Can't you envision a great campaign set in the Realms of the future where Azalar inherits the leadership of the Dale from Mourngrym and Scotti gets left out in the cold - vowing revenge and allying with the Zhents and anyone else who will help him get what is 'rightfully his'. The PCs get caught in the middle or are used as dupes by Scotti and co. or all sorts of other play possibilities. Of course, when Azalar blasts Scotti with silverfire, that may well be the end of the argument!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  13:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Confound it .

quote:

-- George Krashos

Funny you should mention that.....

You will meet no less than three descendants and a half-sister of Khelben in the novel (two of whom have been mentioned in Realmslore before, though not revealed as relatives before). I've done a full workup on his family trees, but it remains to be seen if I'll ever be able to publish it.

That said, yes, you'll learn a few dribs and drabs more about the Chosen and their children in BLACKSTAFF, but no, you won't meet Khelben's and Laeral's child(ren) therein. If they were around, we'd have to name the book BLACKCLOUT.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  13:55:56  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

Confound it .

quote:

-- George Krashos

You will meet no less than three descendants and a half-sister of Khelben in the novel (two of whom have been mentioned in Realmslore before, though not revealed as relatives before). I've done a full workup on his family trees, but it remains to be seen if I'll ever be able to publish it.

That said, yes, you'll learn a few dribs and drabs more about the Chosen and their children in BLACKSTAFF, but no, you won't meet Khelben's and Laeral's child(ren) therein. If they were around, we'd have to name the book BLACKCLOUT.

Steven

Half-sister? Do you mean that Arun had more than one child?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Neither has the living members of the Royal Family of Cormyr, since I believe they are his kids/grandkids/great grandkids.

Alusair is Elminster`s granddaughter........Now I know where she gets some of her character traits from.

Ps. And the king is his great-grandchild....That`s something that should definitely NOT be revealed.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

Alusair is Elminster`s granddaughter........Now I know where she gets some of her character traits from.

Ps. And the king is his great-grandchild....That`s something that should definitely NOT be revealed.

I remember from somewere Ed Greenwood said that Filfaeril wasn't Elminsters daughter, but he is her ancestor.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:36:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd love to see Khelben's family tree!

For that matter, I would love to see detailed family trees for each of Mystra's Chosen.

quote:

Steven
Gee... With all Khelben and Laeral have been up to lately, it's a wonder they have time for procreation .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  17:18:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd love to see Khelben's family tree!

For that matter, I would love to see detailed family trees for each of Mystra's Chosen.

As would I! But Khelben has long been my fave Chosen, so I'd love to see his family tree, in particular.

quote:

quote:

Steven
Gee... With all Khelben and Laeral have been up to lately, it's a wonder they have time for procreation .

Keep in mind that they both have access to the Time Stop spell, and neither needs to sleep... That makes for some opportunities for quality time.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  21:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I assume that to be a Chosen of Mystra, you actually have to be chosen by Mystra. And we don't know for certain if Mystra would automatically make the offspring of Khelben and Laeral a Chosen.

Besides, couldn't they take the Blessed of the Seven Sisters feat? O:)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Sep 2005 21:27:50
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Confound it .

quote:

-- George Krashos

Steven

Count me as one of the many people who cannot wait for Blackstaff to come out.

I wonder if Khelben will autograph copies.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  00:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

I remember from somewere Ed Greenwood said that Filfaeril wasn't Elminsters daughter, but he is her ancestor.

Correct. Elminster is not Filfaeril's "father" in the literal sense; she is one of his "daughters" in that she is a female descendant of his. More specifically, she is descended from Elminster's union with the half-elf Nacacia, as suggested in the novel Elminster in Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  01:10:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You wouldn't want to see Khelben's - the man's been busier than a Red Wizard at a BBQ.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  13:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Glad to hear that, and yes, I'm already practicing/memorizing Khelben's wizard's sigil just for autographs.

Steven
Who wishes the sigil were as simple as Elminster's, much to his chagrin

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:12:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Glad to hear that, and yes, I'm already practicing/memorizing Khelben's wizard's sigil just for autographs.

Steven

I'll take one or two of those autographs.

Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Acolyte

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
getting ready my international credit card...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  20:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Steven

Oh boy, I can hardly wait for this book!

*jumps up and down in place*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000