Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The four
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  20:53:15  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I am sure any moderator here would solve the problem if necessary

Playing NWN if read that four of the chars appearing: Lord Nasher, Ophala, Dumal and Kurth formed a bunch of heroes. I thought they were only a Video-game bunch till I read somewhere here some info about Dumal as the founder of one of the Helm's holds. So if Dumal is a "Realm" char (you got it? ) Are the other three as well? And if they are where can I find some info about their adventures?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  21:05:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All three of them appear in various Realms-product in the same capacity as they do in Neverwinter Nights. Information about any adventures they might have had prior to settling down to be the lord of Neverwinter (Nasher), owner of Neverwinter's most popular festhall (where a certain archmage who's name begins with an E once got stuck in the laundry chute) and one of the more powerful (in character levels at least) members of the Cloakwizards (Ophala), and one of five High Captains of Luskan (Kurth), is, as far as I know, not available in published realmslore (but I've been known to be wrong before.

The most obvious sources to information about them would be Savage Frontier, the North, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, and possibly Waterdeep and the North. In addition, Nasher is mentioned in the 3ed FRCS, and Kurth is mentioned in a sidebar in the 3ed Lords of Darkness (the chapter about the Arcane Brotherhood.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  21:58:04  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you very much Kajehase, So big "E" stuck in a laundry chute?, Oh i'd love to see that... Where can I get this story in paticular?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  22:45:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really just a blurb -- the fact that Elminster was found that way is about all that's said. It's in the Moonstone Mask entry in the Neverwinter part of Volo's Guide to the North, which can be freely obtained from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  00:49:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And somehow NWN really doesn't do Ophala justice once you read about her in Volo's Guide, or anywhere in established Realmslore, actually.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  05:52:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow, NWN doesn't do any of the established NPCs justice... (in my, highly subjective and personal, opinion).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  06:14:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this "four" reference was just an unfortunate side effect of seeing some NPC names and their positions and trying to tie them together without doing further research. For example, I never thought Dumal Erard had another adventuring band besides the Company of Crazed Venturers, and that he went from adventuring right into founding Helm's Hold.

God bless them, but compared to a few continuity hickups in Baldur's Gate and its sequal, NWN seems to have just cut and pasted names and positions of NPCs onto a generic fantasy RPG. I remember thinking when I was younger how much I liked Neverwinter, it was second only to Waterdeep in my imagination.

Unfortunately NWN really didn't live up to the Neverwinter I picture. That having been said, I have had a lot of fun playing with others online, and the toolset is a blast to play with. Its just the plot and the Realmslore involved was severely lacking.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  13:33:18  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I refered them as "the four", cause in NWN is told they were a party.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  19:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kajehase and KnightErrant - I couldn't agree more. The whole NWN series is plagued by a serious lack of research about Realmslore. Not only that, but I thought that most of the maps sucked really bad... I even thought that those "square rooms only" maps were due to the poor design of the game engine, until I encountered that beholder conclave in the 'Hordes of the Underdark'. I recommend that anyone who wants to play NWN downloads some fan-made modules, and completely forgets about the "official NWN modules" - they have nothing to do with the true spirit of the Realms

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  05:33:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess its all the more frustrating becuase they added in a lot of names, like the wizard's guild being the Many-Starred Cloak, but instead of portraying Ophala as having anything to do with it, if you just went by the game, she seems more like she is running a thieves guild out of the Moonstone Mask instead of gathering information and defending Neverwinter. Not to mention they intimate in Volo's Guide that Ophala isn't easy to pick out from the rest of her ladies in the Mask . . . oddly Ophala didn't quite look like the other festhall workers.

Seeing the famous bridges would have been cool too, and a passing reference to something more mundane like Neverwinter waterclocks and colored glass items would have added some atmosphere. Not to mention, I can buy one wood elf paladin of Tyr as an anomoly, but when she is betrothed to another elf cleric of Tyr, it suddenly gives the impression that elves have some special attatchment to Tyr.

Getting back to the Four comment, however, Nasher really doesn't come across well in this story line. He looks like a doddering old fool that is past his prime but used to be a decent adventurer. He appears to rely far too much on Aribeth to take care of things for him.

Not to mention there is no way I would not only decimate Neverwinter but also Helm's Hold in a manner that was almost casual. Then again, after reading some of the posts on the Bioware site about the pen and paper campaigns the owners of the company used to run . . . heck, they can do more damage than Troy Denning on steroids.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  07:51:28  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Not to mention there is no way I would not only decimate Neverwinter but also Helm's Hold in a manner that was almost casual. Then again, after reading some of the posts on the Bioware site about the pen and paper campaigns the owners of the company used to run . . . heck, they can do more damage than Troy Denning on steroids.

Oh dear. Can you list some of their accomplishments?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  11:18:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, off the top of my head I remember that apparently there was some issue with Eltab escaping Eltabbar, and Thay was destroyed to the point of being referred to as the Second Great Rift. There was also some massive war in the North were most of the Chosen were assasinated . . . I'll have to check their archives to see if I can find some more of them. The stories came from someone asking if their NPCs in Baldur's Gate came from their home campaign, and apparently about half of them did.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  13:42:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that is the ultimate ego-trip, is it not? If I could program, I would definitely include my Drow as a random character in the game... but then again, I think I am rather selfish about my characters... so I'd just have him running a tavern, maybe a brothel...

As for NWN destroying Realmslore... just look - you can kill Obould, Kurth (Red Dragon), and the high captains of Luskan... what more can you ask for really...

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  13:55:40  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really was surprised when I killed Obould and saw him named around here as an important char.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  19:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the PC has the opportunity to kill off Obould Many-Arrows as he runs around alone in his cave hideout, with no guards or any else around.

The PC also has the opportunity to kill off Klauth, off all dragons, who has mysteriously shrunk way down in size for this game. Maybe he has the power to do so, but why would he?

Hordes of Aribeth lovers hate Lord Nasher and believe he is evil, worthy of death, or both, because of how the game portrays him (but also because of bias toward Aribeth, but I won't get into that).

quote:
Not only that, but I thought that most of the maps sucked really bad... I even thought that those "square rooms only" maps were due to the poor design of the game engine, until I encountered that beholder conclave in the 'Hordes of the Underdark'.

To be fair, the more rounded rooms came out later, but I agree that the squared off cities, rooms, and even wilderness areas looked decidedly non-magical and uninspiring.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  20:36:35  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hordes of Aribeth lovers hate Lord Nasher and believe he is evil, worthy of death, or both, because of how the game portrays him (but also because of bias toward Aribeth, but I won't get into that).

Indeed I am one of those , but not cause Aribeth, it's only cause Nasher is a cement headed man, he is simple and unfair (in the game, of course).

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  21:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:

Indeed I am one of those , but not cause Aribeth, it's only cause Nasher is a cement headed man, he is simple and unfair (in the game, of course).

I agree that in the game, he comes off as rather cement-headed. His comments to the PC at the end of the first chapter are rather annoying.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  21:08:44  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in the last chapter. "Noyvern is doomed, this is a punish..." and all this stuff. Who the hell voted that guy as a governor?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000