Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Jess Lebow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  21:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another note...

I just found out yesterday that I will be attending GenCon this year.

I'll be demoing the Pirate of the Burning Seas MMO (I'm now the lead writer and content designer for this cool new game), and I'm going to try to get some time to sign books.

If any of you are going to make it to the con, I would love to meet you and get a chance to chat in person.

You should all come. We'll make a party out of it.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  16:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

On another note...

I just found out yesterday that I will be attending GenCon this year.

You should all come. We'll make a party out of it.

-Jess

Ye owe me a beer, Jess, if only for setting up half your back characters in Erlkazar. Nah--but we will have to toast the land of 5 barons with some ale, indeed.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  18:31:47  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can count on it. An ale in each hand, we will while the night away. :)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  18:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can count on it. An ale in each hand, we will while the night away. :)

If there's two-fisted drinking to be had, we'd best invite Ed along as well to train us in its proper Realmsian methods (and drinking songs).

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  22:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then we best invite Ed!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:51:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be at Gen Con as well, so I'll have to say hello to you all at some point.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  20:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, JEss, has any luck come across for writing a followup to MoC? It's such a great cliffhanger
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  01:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jess. What is this I hear about "Obsidian Citadel"? Do tell!

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  09:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Lebow!

While reading & reviewing Realms of War, I noted "Elestam's Crusaders" in your short story The Siege of Zerith Hold. Are those crusaders your invention or have they been mentioned in a sourcebook before?

Thanks for that great story,

Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 23 Mar 2008 09:38:14
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  22:30:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Jess I finished Reading Obsidian Ridge GOOD BOOK,GREAT READ. I have a couple of questions for ya about the Cellar. #1 is it your creation. #2 where in Erlkazar is it at. #3 Who built or created it. #4 What type of monsters(besides Clusterfang and the Helmed Horrors) are in it? The reason I ask is I would like to eventually use the Idea in A Realms Campaign. Thanks.

Brimstone

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 07 May 2008 22:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  22:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading the Obsidian Ridge right now and couldn't help but think of Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss when the Cellar appeared.

BTW, who selected the cross at the beginning of each chapter?

BTW II ... nay not BTW, NB it should be: great novel!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  10:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess, whatever happened to your short story Moonstone Mask since the Neverwinter Nights novel never saw the light of day?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  05:41:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Jess I finished Reading Obsidian Ridge GOOD BOOK,GREAT READ. I have a couple of questions for ya about the Cellar. #1 is it your creation. #2 where in Erlkazar is it at. #3 Who built or created it. #4 What type of monsters(besides Clusterfang and the Helmed Horrors) are in it? The reason I ask is I would like to eventually use the Idea in A Realms Campaign. Thanks.

Brimstone

-I would like to bump these questions.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

shoonvii
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  07:45:09  Show Profile  Visit shoonvii's Homepage Send shoonvii a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I'd like to know what those monsters were that comprised Xeries' legions. Some sort of demon or devil? Abishai maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  20:40:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess Jess doesn't come around here anymore - maybe he heard 'we bite'. LOL

I was also curious about 'the Cellar' - would that be a cellar within the ruins of Dajaan, or is this located elsewhere?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:47:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was also curious about 'the Cellar' - would that be a cellar within the ruins of Dajaan, or is this located elsewhere?

You may find it more effective tracking Jess down elsewhere. He hasn't been active here at Candlekeep since May '08.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Out of curiosity, JEss, has any luck come across for writing a followup to MoC? It's such a great cliffhanger

Hi,

Okay, so this reply is almost 4 years late, but . . .

No luck so far, and I suspect with the change in the FR timeline there is very little chance of it happening in the future. I have always wanted to continue that story. Maybe if there is some retrospective fiction line set up in FR.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hello Mr. Lebow!

While reading & reviewing Realms of War, I noted "Elestam's Crusaders" in your short story The Siege of Zerith Hold. Are those crusaders your invention or have they been mentioned in a sourcebook before?

Thanks for that great story,

Zanan!

Hello,

If my memory serves me correctly, there was only a couple of lines written about the Crusaders in an old box set. It was really just background info that helped tie Erlkazar together. I believe our esteemed Mr. Schend was the creator of this elite group.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:18:18  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Brimstone

Hi,

I hope you went ahead and used the Cellar in your campaign already, and that my tardiness didn't slow you down.

The Cellar was in fact my creation. I always envisioned it existing in a pocket dimension, sort of stuck between planes of existence.

I'm not sure who originally built it. I sort of thought that its beginnings were a mystery. By the time it appears in my story it has transformed several times. The first known inhabitant of the Cellar was a very rich man, who lived peacefully, secluded, within its confines for more than half of his life. After his death, the gateway into the Cellar changed hands many times, and eventually it became a sort of labyrinth, meant to protect tremendous treasure through the use of traps and monsters.

As far as monsters for your campaign, I think the sky is the limit. If you can envision the creature living underground, you can probably find it in the cellar. Though, it would have to be pretty tough to survive in such a place.

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Reading the Obsidian Ridge right now and couldn't help but think of Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss when the Cellar appeared.

BTW, who selected the cross at the beginning of each chapter?

BTW II ... nay not BTW, NB it should be: great novel!

I'm not sure who selected the cross. Probably the novels art director. I just handed over the text, and I got a pretty book back :)
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Jess, whatever happened to your short story Moonstone Mask since the Neverwinter Nights novel never saw the light of day?

It was never printed. I still have it somewhere. There really wasn't anything I could do with it when the book was shelved. It was too much of an FR story to really try to make it work in another world. So I just archived it.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shoonvii

Indeed, I'd like to know what those monsters were that comprised Xeries' legions. Some sort of demon or devil? Abishai maybe?

Hi,

I made up Xeries creatures. I imagined that a guy with that kind of time on his hands would dabble in genetic/magical manipulation--especially given his history with magical research and the transformation he himself went through. Since I had used so many other creatures from the MM for the Cellar and other parts of the book, I really wanted to add something new. And since Xeries was sort of otherworldly, his unique circumstance gave me the opportunity to make up a new beast without upsetting the balance of creatures already in the game.

I don't think anyone ever did any stats for them. Could be fun to see what a designer would do with a creature like that.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  06:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, sorry about leaving you guys hanging for so long--literally years.

I've since moved to China, Shanghai to be precise. I'm currently working for Ubisoft, and last year a published a book on beer (Called the Beer Devotional, if anyone is thirsty).

I'm not working on anything for Wizards at the moment, but I am dabbling with a book about my time in China.

Happy New Year :)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  08:48:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Brimstone

Hi,

I hope you went ahead and used the Cellar in your campaign already, and that my tardiness didn't slow you down.

The Cellar was in fact my creation. I always envisioned it existing in a pocket dimension, sort of stuck between planes of existence.

I'm not sure who originally built it. I sort of thought that its beginnings were a mystery. By the time it appears in my story it has transformed several times. The first known inhabitant of the Cellar was a very rich man, who lived peacefully, secluded, within its confines for more than half of his life. After his death, the gateway into the Cellar changed hands many times, and eventually it became a sort of labyrinth, meant to protect tremendous treasure through the use of traps and monsters.

As far as monsters for your campaign, I think the sky is the limit. If you can envision the creature living underground, you can probably find it in the cellar. Though, it would have to be pretty tough to survive in such a place.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer Jess!

Actually I haven't played D&D in around 2 years.

But when I do, I know that the 'Cellar' is an extra-dimensional contruct, I can place doorways to it anywhere now. Thanks!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly