Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Jess Lebow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  00:41:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a recent "Order of the Stick" comic strip they had a very humorous look at a chain fighter who has the 'spring attack' feat and how it's the ultimate combo ... well, until the chain fighter's unfortunate demise.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  09:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, damn you, Jess Lebow!

Not getting enough sleep because I'm reading your damned book and can't put it down!

I second that!

The book is great reading (i've put a couple of comments up in the Master of Chains thread, but i've only just started).

Jess, please please please write for the Realms again

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  09:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Master of Chains is a Prc from the 3.0 Sword and Fist source book

Thank you Dargoth. I don't have that book though as i didn't think they would be any good in comparison to the old AD&D class books.

Can you post anything briefly here about it please?

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  23:53:24  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just left an extensive review of Master of Chains in the novel forum.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  05:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met, all,

Sorry to keep all your questions waiting. I've been swamped.

Which leads me nicely to...

Scimitars: I've been working almost exclusively on the next release of Guild Wars (the MMO I write for when I'm not, well, at home). There is one other project I can't talk about, but it's related. And I'm currently waiting to hear back on a couple of book pitches. I'll keep you informed :)

Erik: Thanks for the kind words.

Steven: You are too kind.

-Why the illusions? Well, I just think illusions are cool. Also, I really liked the way that scene played out. The magic is very subtle, but it dominates the whole scene. I struggle sometimes with the use of magic in my books. I tend to write very real-world characters, so whenever I get a good place to really play up the fantasy genre, I try to go for it. Also, I think she's scarier this way.

-Why no Purdun's wife? I don't really know. You're not the first one to ask me that. I guess I just had a hard time making her fit into the story without really blowing my word limit. I didn't think of her early enough, and, well, by the time she was pointed out, I felt like I wouldn't be giving her enough room to do her justice.

Celebrant: Will do. If I have anything to say about it, I'll be writing in the Realms for a long time. Thanks :)

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  02:20:16  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you become a designer for Guild Wars?

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually an interesting story.

I had just finished work on The Return of the Damned (a D&D novel), and I was set up to start work at Microsoft Game Studios as a managing editor for one of their websites. As I was driving to work on my first day on the job, I got a call from someone at ArenaNet (the company that makes Guild Wars). They had read Wind of War, and they had asked around about me. They managed to track me down through Wizards of the Coast. A week later, I gave notice at Microsoft.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  04:18:41  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow thats cool. Do you just design quest and stuff like that?

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  21:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To a greater or lesser degree, yes :)

Actually, I create and write the story for the missions and the overall world. I put together scripts for the cut-scenes and the hi-res cinematics. And I participate in a lot of design discussions.

But yes, I basically make up stuff all day long.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  22:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

To a greater or lesser degree, yes :)

Actually, I create and write the story for the missions and the overall world. I put together scripts for the cut-scenes and the hi-res cinematics. And I participate in a lot of design discussions.

But yes, I basically make up stuff all day long.

[jealous, jealous]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  00:53:51  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im designing a game right now but its nothing like Guild Wars...
Anyways I think you did a great job!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowOfSouls
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2005 :  20:27:21  Show Profile  Visit ShadowOfSouls's Homepage Send ShadowOfSouls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. First of all... I wanted to thank you for spoiling my good night sleep... The book somehow got stuck infront of me for the night making me unable to sleep. Secondly. I LOVED THE BOOK! All the characters seem so real that it almost felt like being in the story. Will we perhaps be seeing more of the story at some point? The storyline seriously deserves a trilogy instead of a standalone book in my opinion. With this sort of books I finally see the FR going into a better direction. Blast. This makes me feel like reading the other books ye wrote.
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, all

Scimitars: Good luck with the game. Thanks.

Shadow: Thank you very much. Guess I owe you some sleep ;) A sequel? No word on that yet. I'll keep you informed.

Erik: I'm sure you'll get your turn as well. Good writers are hard to come by. :)

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  17:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik: I'm sure you'll get your turn as well. Good writers are hard to come by. :)

Good? Me?

Aw, shucks.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  01:48:01  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you start writing Jess?

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  02:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did I start writing? Well, that's an interesting question.

At some point (I believe it was the 3rd grade) I wrote a short story about a young boy who was late for a test at school. As he went to put on his tennis shoes, they suddenly sprang to life and ran off into the street. The shoes, not having the good sense to look both ways, were run over by a car (which I think may be the most devastating thing I was able to imagine in the 3rd grade). An ambulance showed up and whisked the poor little boy and his shoes off to the hospital, where the shoes were pronounced DOA. The little boy was sad, but just as he was about to cry, his shoes jumped off the operating table, hopped onto his feet, and ran him all the way back to school, just in time for his big test.

That's the first piece of fiction I remember writing.

After that, I think I just wrote little stories to keep myself from getting bored in school--kind of like an artist who doodles on his notebook.

Eventually I went on to get a degree in creative writing. My first published work was a poem, believe it or not, entitled Lindsey has Community Hair. My creative writing professors used to talk about getting published as if it was the hardest thing in the world--as if none of us could ever expect it to happen in our lifetimes.

I managed to get published before graduating. I guess they were wrong.

Now I write every single day. (Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but when you're dealing with writers, you have to expect exaggerations--from time to time.)

:)

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  09:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jess,

I'm reading your book "Master of Chains" at the moment (I'm around page 180 and it's a great read up to now ) and was wondering, how you ever came up with the name "Knoblauch" (German word for "garlic") for a elite guard, which made me laugh because of the vampires in the same scene. Was that on purpose or pure chance?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  19:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, gang,

Braveheart: Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

As much as I would like to claim that I know how to speak German , the truth is I wouldn't even be able to order a sandwich in Munich. I think it's funny as heck that knoblauch means garlic, but I'm afraid it's a happy accident.

Cheers.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome book, Jess, LOVED MoC...however, it SO needs to continue! There has to be a sequel sometimes...there's still a lot left with it!
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  10:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think it's funny as heck that knoblauch means garlic, but I'm afraid it's a happy accident.

Happy accident indeed . The end is really a cliffhanger, I'm looking forward to read more about Shyressa. How about a "The Undead"-Series?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  07:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess,

Just wanted to say- I really enjoyed the book, and I REALLY REALLY liked the way you ended it! Hope to see a follow up!!!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  05:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, gang,

Ethriel & Prince Forge, thanks so much. If I ever get the chance to write a follow up to MOC, you can bet I will.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

fireblazer
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  04:03:24  Show Profile  Visit fireblazer's Homepage Send fireblazer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Jess, and may Mystra smile brightly upon you. I am enjoying reading Master of Chains, the Fighters series is a great idea! I was wondering if you would be kind enough to provide sage advice for the aspiring Forgotten Realms novel writers and I have compiled a few questions below. Thank you.
1. How long did it take you to complete the book?
2. I know this may sound strange, but approximately how many words and how many pages are there, in the word processing document, that is?
3. What is the process of editing/proofreading like? I mean, did you do it yourself or did you have somebody else reading the draft?
I guess this is all I can come up with at the moment. I look forward to reading your reply.

Edited by - fireblazer on 11 Dec 2005 04:12:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  08:10:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fireblazer

3. What is the process of editing/proofreading like? I mean, did you do it yourself or did you have somebody else reading the draft?

I'm obviously not a paid writer, but I will make a couple of comments on this.

First, I think outside editing and proofreading is essential. No matter how good you are, somewhere in the document, you've made a mistake or twenty. You could read it fifteen times without seeing it, and spellcheck may pass right over it... But then someone else reads it, and Boom! it jumps right out and bites them on the nose. Also, an outside reader has a different perspective. You may think that this love scene rivals Romeo and Juliet; the other reader starts gagging when he reads it. You may think the fight scene is so exciting that it beats anything Hollywood has done in the last 50 years; someone else is either yawning or trying to use a flow-chart to figure out the sequence of events. And you may think your subtle clues and foreshadowing lead to an obvious and inescapable conclusion, while your proofreader didn't see it coming at all, and the clues are so obscure that Sherlock Holmes would have missed them. So you need a good editor/proofreader to backstop you.

Second, most publishing companies, having those thoughts in mind, wouldn't dream of letting a book go out without going over it in committee a dozen times.

I've heard of one author who has enough clout to see her books go out without the publishers editing them. One. Uno. Un. Ichi. That's it. She's not a Realms author, but she's written a bunch of books, at least two or three of which have been made into movies. She's the only writer I've heard of who can pull that one off.

A lot of authors go out of their way to praise their editors. As good as a writer is, he needs a good editor, too. Writers may write the stories, but it's the editors that make sure we can read them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  00:17:23  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there,

Wooly-- You've basically got it right, the editor is VERY important to the process, but you'd be surprised how few eyes there are on a manuscript. Those "comittees" you speak of are getting smaller every day. ;)

Fireblazer—Thanks for the praise.

I would be happy to answer your questions.

1) The actual writing took about 5 months, but I had almost a year to think about the story before I began typing. It took me almost 2 full months of planning before I was actually happy with the main conflict.

2) Before I started writing novels, I was a fiction editor. I've seen hundreds of manuscripts come in from hundreds of different authors. And I can tell you without a doubt that when it comes to page length on a word processor, each one is different. This is why publishers write book contracts based on word count. It's the only thing that can be used effectively as a measure of how long a book really is. Paperback books in the Forgotten Realms are generally between 85,000 and 100,000 words each. As a rule, they shoot for a 320 page finished book. Some are longer, of course, but this is a good estimate of the average book. The first draft of Master of Chains was about 87,500 words. The final draft was just over 90,000. I don't remember exactly, but I want to say that my Word document was around 400 pages (that's using 12 point Times New Roman font and no extra leading).

3) I have an editor at Wizards of the Coast who is effectively my boss when it comes to writing Forgotten Realms novels. She reads the outline, first draft, and final draft and each time she gives me notes on what she thinks needs to change, be improved, or cut out entirely. Editors are essential to the process. Without them, we would have a lot of really crummy books on our shelves. I personally get too close to the story to be able to see if I'm covering all the right points or if I've left something out. It may only take a few hours or days to read a book, but when you live with the 5+ months of writing a book, you tend to lose track of just exactly what is really in those 100,000 words.

After the revision stage (meaning, when I have a final draft), my editor gives it a developmental/copyedit, which is done with more of an eye toward story and continuity. Then someone else will do a proofread, which focuses on the grammar and spelling. Finally, I will go over the book one last time to make sure everything makes sense, and my editor will input any changes I make, potentially vetoing them (though that doesn't happen very often).

I couldn't live without my editor, nor would I want to.

I hope I've adequately answered your questions.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  23:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess, I have been thinking alot about Erlkazar, and haven't had a chance to read Master of Chains yet (I will don't worry), but was wondering if you used said kingdom as is from Lands of Intrigue, or if you added or took off anything.

Also does the book have a map in it, of the locations with the new 3.0 map.

One other thing because maybe you will know, does the four part map that was in dragon include Erlkazar as well. I'm thinking about buying those back issues.

Is there alot of tension between the Kingdom and the Lizard Folk? Or the Hobgoblins and goblins of the Deepwing Mts?

Also am I right in thinking that this is one of the few areas populated by Tethyrians where they might have lived without being taken over by Calimishan, that and some lands to the west and on Cape Velen.

Anyways, I'm not sure how much the region came into focus for you while writing the book and any information you could share would be great since its been a while since anyone has used this territory.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  00:40:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Jess, but I can answer some of these questions...

quote:
...but was wondering if you used said kingdom as is from Lands of Intrigue, or if you added or took off anything.
Pretty much. The historical tidbits and references to regions and places in Erlkazar match mostly with what Steven canonised in LoI.

quote:
Also does the book have a map in it, of the locations with the new 3.0 map.
No map. Though the geographical descriptions in the novel match with what we know now about Erlkazar and from the details presented in LoI.

quote:
Also am I right in thinking that this is one of the few areas populated by Tethyrians where they might have lived without being taken over by Calimishan, that and some lands to the west and on Cape Velen.
The Erlkazar entry in LoI provides some insights into this. I would recommend you read through the section also. As well, I would also ask Steven for his take on this...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  15:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The major geographical change is that the land south of the river flowing into the deepwash used to be a pretty natural south eastern border for Erlkazar, and that now the Cloven mountains don't run up to the lake, it opens up alot of territory in the southeast. Specifically one of the major cities would probably have ended up on said river, and another one on the wintercloak. For my purposes I just moved Llorbauth south to be on the river and Duhlnorn (didn't spell that right) south to the wintercloak.

Basically I took away all of the Erlkazar lands south of the mountains, and place Five Spears in the hills, and made it a coastal country strteched along the southern Deepwash.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:07:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

...and Duhlnorn (didn't spell that right)...
Duhlnarim .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  21:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, gang,

Sorry I've been absent. I've got a new job, and I've been swamped.

Octa, I stayed as close as I could to the details in LoI. My understanding was that Erlkazar was originally developed with fewer details than many of the other regions--as a way to allow DMs with extensive campaigns to fit them into the Realms without causing too many continuity hassles. This was good for me because it gave me a lot of room to work, but I also wanted to be respectful of the original intent. With that in mind, I tried very hard to stay true to the original content while at the same time shedding light on some of the more minute details.

The book does not include a map. There was one commissioned, but it didn't make it into the book. I don't remember the reason why at the moment. And I'm sorry, but I never used the Dragon map, so I can't speak to how much detail it has for the region.

I'm sure the illustrious Mr. Schend can shed more light on the region as a whole than I can, since he was the original creator.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000