Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Minotaurs in the Realms: Origins?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  03:36:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the 2nd Edition monster books we were told that minotaurs were creatures that had so offended the gods with some horrible and unnatural act that they were cured to become minotaurs, and that there were no female minotaurs, minotaurs mated with female humanoids of other species and bred minotaur male offspring.

Does anyone know if this is still the official line when it comes to minotaurs? 3rd Edition products in the Realms have included more larger communities of minotaurs, such as the one mentioned in the Ghour entry in Monsters of Faerun, and the minotaur region of the underdark that the Menzoberranyr ran into in the WOTSQ series.

None of these mentioned females or young, so this doesn't support or deny the previous information, but large communities would seem to be difficult to support if you had to keep kidnapping your women, and there also doesn't appear to be any mention of slave pens for keeping them, etc.

Anyone know the current clack on Minotaurs regarding this?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  04:04:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

In the 2nd Edition monster books we were told that minotaurs were creatures that had so offended the gods with some horrible and unnatural act that they were cured to become minotaurs, and that there were no female minotaurs, minotaurs mated with female humanoids of other species and bred minotaur male offspring.

Second edition did say that, but on Krynn, there were two nations of minotaurs. I don't recall specific mentions of their reproductive habits, but for there to be enough minotaurs to form a nation, they were obviously a natural occurrence.

I don't know what 3E has to say about it... I'd say that the "cursed" origin is either legend, told by people that don't know any better, or that while it is true for a small number of minotaurs, the rest are a naturally occurring race.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  04:18:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be that thay also just began to produce females . . . maybe a gift from Baphomet? I know Krynnish minotaurs have females . . . the earliest reference that I can remember being Leaves from the Inn of Last Home, though Krynnish minotaurs are downright civilized compared to Minotaurs in other settings.

I also remember that that little bit of background, the cursed thing, was reinforced by the Hill Giant Minotaur from the Legend of the Spelljammer boxed set (Breakox?).

Hm . . . things to ponder.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  05:23:41  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One night a drunk ogre took a hankering for Betsy the milkcow.......

I don't think the origins of Minotaurs were ever specifically covered in the Realms.
Giantcraft from 2E might have some information, but I don't know specifically, I have it only on PDF and I'm not a big fan for reading PDFs.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  06:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Second edition did say that, but on Krynn, there were two nations of minotaurs. I don't recall specific mentions of their reproductive habits, but for there to be enough minotaurs to form a nation, they were obviously a natural occurrence.
There have actually been three nations of minotaurs on Krynn -- those of the Blood Sea Isles, Taladas, and the Kazelati.

quote:
I don't recall specific mentions of their reproductive habits, but for there to be enough minotaurs to form a nation, they were obviously a natural occurrence.
Being products of the Graygem (and therefore being "descended" from ogres), Minotaurs reproduce in ways similar to their "progenitors".

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  15:08:39  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't ever recall there ever being a nation of minotaurs in the realms.I may be very wrong,but if there is.It defintiely doesn't get the ink as do Krynn's minotaurs.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  17:17:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't such a nation, so far as I know. I was simply tossing that out to show that even though the 2E Monstrous Compendium said that minotaurs were cursed, this was obviously not universal.

Further argument against the "cursed" theory is Thud. Thud is a N minotaur who owns The Inlet in Thentia (Moonsea is the supplement that mentions him). I can't see a cursed critter being true neutral.

Besides, for minotaurs living in the Underdark, where would they find enough females to breed?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  17:31:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oct 25, 2004:

1. Faerunian minotaurs are very rarely seen or mentioned for the same reason psionics was downplayed for so long; they’re considered essential elements of another TSR/now WotC product line (minotaurs meant Dragonlance, psionics meant Dark Sun). So while they’re in the Realms (the ‘home of everything’ for 2nd Edition D&D), we weren’t allowed to feature them in adventures or novels, or make more than passing mention of them.

And Oct 29 of the same year,

Capn Charlie. I like both of your minotaur isle ideas, and yes, I have always included a FEW intelligent, refined minotaurs, though most are brutish, barbarian-level “grunting beasts.” I’ve always treated lizard men the same way; most are tribal warriors with much cunning but not a whole lot of inspirational intellect (i.e. they can learn a new weapon, trap, or battlefield danger in a hurry in a fight with PCs, but don’t lead lives of complex culture), but a few are every bit as intelligent and accomplished as most humans. This usually means that they’re smart enough to keep isolated and largely hidden from humans. :}

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  17:40:45  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can we tell a female minotaur from male?

No horns and an Utter?
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  19:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No horns and an Utter?

You can't, I would think that female look strikingly like males, sort of like Dwarves. Or like elves even, only in that case, the males look like females. Because you know what they say: the only difference between an elven male, and an elven female, is a grand total of 2 inches...

umm...

^slowly backs off and goes invisible as soon as he has noted just how many UNamused dwarves and elves there are near by^

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  21:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

quote:

No horns and an Utter?

You can't, I would think that female look strikingly like males, sort of like Dwarves. Or like elves even, only in that case, the males look like females. Because you know what they say: the only difference between an elven male, and an elven female, is a grand total of 2 inches...

umm...

^slowly backs off and goes invisible as soon as he has noted just how many UNamused dwarves and elves there are near by^

I nearly sprayed my lunch all over my scrying pool! How many times have I said that about the lesser, and by that I mean non-human, races. They must have serious issues procreating because of their inability to tell the difference betwee...
uh...
umm...

^slowly backs off and follows Luther Cromwel into invisibility as the number of unamused dwarves, elves and other lesser races turn this way^

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  22:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How many times have I said that about the lesser, and by that I mean non-human, races.

^he being a gnome, gives Fletcher an inquisitive look^

By lesser, I take it you mean taller, correct?

hehehehe

Any way, back onto the cow people. Actually, speaking about Minotaur society, I know its a bit uncreative of me, but I've always seen the 'Tauren' of the War Craft series as an interesting spin for Minotaurs. Mind you, I haven't had the chance to apply it. But frankly, however they aren't rocket scientists (let alone gnomes) by any stretch of the imagination, they still might have an indepth society based from many of generations.

Maybe Minotaurs are somewhat of a misunderstood people, always having to resort to violence due to the discimination that other races have blanded them with.

Or maybe they really are big dumb cow people. It's kind of hard to ask one...

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"

Edited by - Sir Luther Cromwell on 18 Aug 2005 22:39:48
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  01:49:49  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

quote:

No horns and an Utter?

umm...

Not our fault you can't tell a male elf from a female one, and kissed him or proposed to him.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  01:57:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Ed said, the minotaur race doesn't feature prominently in the Realms. There are of course minotaurs in Faerun, but they are not a wholly organised people with a land or nation or their own.

That being said, most of the FR-related references to minotaurs in 1e, 2e, and 3e establish that they seem to fill mostly bodyguard or slavery roles. Fahd yn Ralan el Pesarkhal of Calimport is said to be personally guarded by a contingent of 12 minotaurs. Some Red Wizards utilise minotaurs as personal bodyguards as well. Small numbers of minotaurs are seen regularly in many slave pens of the Drow Houses of Menzoberranzan were they sometimes also double as foot soldiers when the drow go to war.

And then of course there is Taurus, the "famous" Hillsfar arena fighter, who has garnered an impressive measure of fame during his time in the arena.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  03:39:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The minotaur I played in 2E, I decided to bring into the Realms as an NPC. He stepped thru a portal on his world, and found himself in Myth Drannor. He made some new friends, and eventually they all bought a tavern in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  04:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago, I had placed a small village of minotaur women in the Silverwood, not far from Olostin's Hold, west of Everlund. It was a small hamlet or fort of around 80 women in log cabins and huts surrounded by a wooden stockade wall. These were the Uluhalar, minotaur slaves that escaped from Shade shortly after it arived in Anauroch. They had been bred for centuries by the shades to be docile and serve as laborers and (to the great and secret shame of the minotaur folk) for food.

A peaceful and demoralized people, the uluhalar women were trying to just survive and make their way in the world free from the yoke of shade oppression. However, they had fallen on hard times, as a drow necromancer had taken up residence deeper in the woods and was sending plagues of zombies through the forest to bring back new corpses for him to experiment on.

The bull chief had taken the few males they had out to fight the undead menace and never returned (themselves fallen victim to the necromancer and made into zombies.)

When my players stumbled onto the village and learned of their plight, they heroically volunteered to eradicate the wizard and went on to kill the necromancer in his tower. It was a very memorable adventure, which spawned their greatest arch-nemesis--the necromancer Severian. He kept popping up when they least expected it over the course of 2 years. After all... death is no barrier to a vengeful necromancer!

Although the triumphant adventurers had bad news to bear back to the uluhalar females about their dead chief and males, the party were still feted as heroes. And in the few days the party stayed with them, the paladin of the party (a paladin of Sune) quietly did the best he could to help the minotaur women with their population problem.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  05:05:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grey, now I have to try and sleep with that image in my head . . . although you can say one thing for minotaur women . . . no . . . that jokes too easy . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  05:49:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, that's a topic I've been pondering with my minotaur NPC. When I was playing him, I decided that he wouldn't be interested in non-minotaur women. But then, that was on his homeworld, where minotaur women were plentiful. Now that I've transported him to the Realms, I'm debating whether or not he'd relax this attitude, since he's going to have to look a lot harder to find a minotaur woman.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  13:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always thought that minotaurs were originally human devotees of Baphomet, who changed them "into his likeness" as a reward for their worship. That would explain why they are so rare in the Realms, and also the existence of both sexes.

On the other hand, it may also be that originally some minotaurs entered Faerun through a portal (form Krynn, perhaps?).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  13:36:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am shying away from connecting Krynn minotaurs with minotaurs in Faerun, since Faerunian minotarus are much more savage, much less "civilized." Minotaurs are also a bit smaller in Krynn, and are a bit less powerful (in 3.5 minotaurs in Krynn are reworked to be LA +0 race). Plus, Krynn minotaurs have feet like humans or ogres, and Faerunian minotaurs have hooves.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  17:23:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am shying away from connecting Krynn minotaurs with minotaurs in Faerun, since Faerunian minotarus are much more savage, much less "civilized." Minotaurs are also a bit smaller in Krynn, and are a bit less powerful (in 3.5 minotaurs in Krynn are reworked to be LA +0 race). Plus, Krynn minotaurs have feet like humans or ogres, and Faerunian minotaurs have hooves.

Minotaur feet are one of those things no one agrees on. Some sources will say one thing, some will say another.

I favor human-style feet, simply because minotaurs are bipedal. For bipeds, a foot shape like that offers far greater stability and balance. To me, it only makes sense that all minotaur feet would be like that.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  19:08:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Minotaur feet are one of those things no one agrees on. Some sources will say one thing, some will say another.

I favor human-style feet, simply because minotaurs are bipedal. For bipeds, a foot shape like that offers far greater stability and balance. To me, it only makes sense that all minotaur feet would be like that.

On the other hand, hooved feet are kinda cool, especially for a Minotaur Archvillian.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  22:58:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

On the other hand, hooved feet are kinda cool, especially for a Minotaur Archvillian.

*blinks* I've never thought of hooved feet as cool... I suppose you could go for a middle ground, and have the minotaur's foot be like an elongated hoof...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  03:11:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plus, Krynn minotaurs have feet like humans or ogres, and Faerunian minotaurs have hooves.
Errr... no. The 3e DLCS finally settled the extensive "minotaur feet debate." For quite a long while, the distinction of Krynnish minotaur "feet" was the object of contention among various game designers and authors who were basing works in Ansalon.

With the printing of the DLCS however, minotaurs now have "cleft hooves".

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Aug 2005 03:13:02
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  10:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I use human-style feet as a basis, and indeed agree with the "coolness" of hooved feet, so in my campaign is a blessing from Baphomet to chiefs and so on.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Further argument against the "cursed" theory is Thud. Thud is a N minotaur who owns The Inlet in Thentia (Moonsea is the supplement that mentions him). I can't see a cursed critter being true neutral.

Unless the curse was just to change his form, and not his alignment. Say, BTW, has there ever been any word on magical transforming curses in the Realms? I.e., "You call yourself a wolf, now have the face of one!" and the like. And how should it be handled 'in game'?

quote:
Besides, for minotaurs living in the Underdark, where would they find enough females to breed?

Minotaurs don't have to go looking for the women. The women come looking for them. They are half bull, after all. *evil smile*
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:49:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Unless the curse was just to change his form, and not his alignment.
An intriguing possibility...

Thud is described as being "soft-spoken" and "well-read" despite his "brutish outer appearance." These traits could reflect that the curse merely altered his outer form, while leaving his inner self, largely the same as it was.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  14:25:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*blinks* I've never thought of hooved feet as cool... I suppose you could go for a middle ground, and have the minotaur's foot be like an elongated hoof...

I put fuzzy pink slippers on my minotaurs

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  03:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright heres the deal on the minotaurs. They have females, but they look like males, are strong as males and fight like males. Kinda like the Tolkien's version of dwarves where females have beards.

About human women having to reproduce with minotaurs: poor women. They would obviously die giving birth to creatures that large. Since minotaurs are fairly prolific underground, a whole LOT of poor sacrificial human women would have to be sent there to continue species.

It just does'nt make sense. Minotaurs must have their own females.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Edited by - Ranin on 01 Jan 2007 03:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:30:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

About human women having to reproduce with minotaurs: poor women. They would obviously die giving birth to creatures that large.

Though I agree with most of your other points, I disagree with this one. We don't know that minotaur babies are all that big, for one thing. And there have certainly been some rather large humans in the real world; Shaq, for example, is more than 7 feet tall and weighs 300+ pounds, and his mom is still around.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  00:08:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

About human women having to reproduce with minotaurs: poor women. They would obviously die giving birth to creatures that large.

Though I agree with most of your other points, I disagree with this one. We don't know that minotaur babies are all that big, for one thing. And there have certainly been some rather large humans in the real world; Shaq, for example, is more than 7 feet tall and weighs 300+ pounds, and his mom is still around.

I'm hesitant to quote a purely DL source for potential lore on minotaurs in the Realms... However, Taladas: The Minotaurs suggests that minotaur babies are often born slightly larger than the average human baby.

While I agree that minotaur babies in the Realms likely aren't born "big" as such, I would imagine there would be some size and mass differences between a healthy human baby and a healthy minotaur baby.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000