Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Is it a Priest of Bane that I See?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:18:20  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The following post made me create this new post:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4875

Although I have no cleric of Bane in my party, I think that an encounter with such a cleric might be very interesting in a city such as Waterdeep. I mean, a Good-aligned party should get suspicious if they see a cleric of Bane walk by. What will they do? Maybe, they just ignore the encounter, and all work put down to elaborate the encounter is in vain.

Still, anybody who would like elaborate such an encounter?

Another issue, in this same topic, is how you think that this encounter should be modified in a large town such as Dagger Falls?

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:07:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

The following post made me create this new post:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4875

Although I have no cleric of Bane in my party, I think that an encounter with such a cleric might be very interesting in a city such as Waterdeep. I mean, a Good-aligned party should get suspicious if they see a cleric of Bane walk by. What will they do? Maybe, they just ignore the encounter, and all work put down to elaborate the encounter is in vain.

Still, anybody who would like elaborate such an encounter?

Another issue, in this same topic, is how you think that this encounter should be modified in a large town such as Dagger Falls?

Why would a good aligned party get suspicious? Waterdeep is an open city, and yes while Bane is an evil good, as long as the Cleric breaks no laws (nor is wanted by the city or allies) within the city, the City Watch and City Guard have no "just" cause to stop him.

What you are doing is profiling. It would be like someone not trusting a follower of Islam or an Arabic person, bacause they might be a terrorist or connected to a Terroriest.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:48:56  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Warlockco,

Well, when I read the post that I refere to, one of my thoughts, was that an "open cleric of Bane" in Waterdeep would be a kind of diversion (ruse). And, an encounter with that in mind could be interesting to elaborate.

Now, my party has a cleric of Lathander, and I expect some kind of reaction if they see a cleric of Bane in the street. Clerics of Bane and Lathander are enemies, but, knowing the law, the clerics should not go ahead and openly attemp to kill each other. It is more a matter as if secret agents of different organisations recognise each other on neutral land. Still, without a cleric, a Good-aligned party (that considers Bane and followers of Bane to be evil enemies) should present a kind of reaction. At least, I think that.

Some reactions that I expect:

1a. Aedams says "Did you see that! It is a cleric of Bane. What can a cleric of Bane be doing here? Well, let's forgett him. We have other business to attend."

or

1b. Aedams says "Did you see that! It is a cleric of Bane. What can a cleric of Bane be doing here?." and Baertil answers "Dude, you are really knew to Waterdeep, are you not. Well, let's forgett him. We have other business to attend".

2. Aedams says Is that fellow a noble, or what? Do you recognize that symbol/mark?"

3. Aedams says "In the name of Lathander! I demand to fight you in a duell according to Weterdhavian laws."

4. Aedams says "Wait, a Banite, here. Stand still. He has not seen us. What can be he doing here. Let's follow him."

Now, as DM, if I spend (many, and not a few) hours of work elaborating an encounter, or sub-plot, and players react according to 1a, 1b, or 2 then, I have been a fool And, if is just drops something short, like a sentence were I desribe that they see a priest of Bane, and have nothing more, and they react according to 3 or 4, then, I will have to improvise

I do improvise, but, I prefere to know my players and be prepared. Therefore, I do like the encounter, but do not have time to elaborate more details to such an event.

Profiling ... well, as I stated, the gods Bane and Lathander consider each other to be their enemies (at least, in FR AD&D Faiths & Avatars). And I do believe, that in a city such as Waterdeep, that although neutral to one degree, a cleric of Bane would not openly displays his faith with, for example, symbols because that would be "asking for trouble" (as another member wrote).

To better understand Waterdeep, I did ask about a priest (or was it follower) of Cyric in the Waterdeep post. It is very important to know wheter, for example, the temples of Cyric is hidden or not. I do not know.

Last, I hope that I have not offended you somehow

Best regards,
webmanus

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  09:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3. Aedams says "In the name of Lathander! I demand to fight you in a duel according to Weterdhavian laws."

*Smirk*

The Cleric of Bane replies "Fine, perhaps I should introduce myself My name is Fzoul Chembryl and you are a pile of ash!'

*Fzoul casts Flame Strike on Cleric*

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  11:55:04  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would be a surprise for my players They would say something like "But ... but but ... you never put such NPCs in the adventures ... ", and I would have to reply, "Sorry pals, blame it on Dargoth" It was he who elaborated the encounter, and I did not have time to adapt it. Bad luck, but, maybe you have learned something with your visit to Waterdeep. Ask first wether I have used some of Dargoth's encounter

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  12:05:17  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, in the next play session, the players would ask "Have you borrowed an encounter from Dargoth again?", and I would answer, "No, don't worry, I have borrowed his latest adventure, 'The Manshoons'. Why?".

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  14:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ultra ego Dargoth is a Cleric of Bane Im running in the Worlds largest dungeon so your players hatred pleases him

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  15:47:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that a chance encounter with a Priest of Bane would be completely dependent on what alignment the characters are that are playing.

Lawful Good: I think they would make sure if he was breaking any laws, but if he wasn't, they'd let him go by.

Chaotic Good: Not caring much for laws, they might harass or openly berate a evil cleric in much a way that is profiling - but let's be serious... in D&D most evil is not relative, it is concrete, and if you worship Bane, you are pretty evil.

Neutral Good: May just make sure he is not harming anyone in anyway, including squeezing merchants for better prices or purposely breaking a toy of a child.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  15:57:15  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree CrennenFaerieBane.

Still, imagine the case if one of the PCs, say a 1st-level cleric of Lathander would, challenge a priest of Bane in the streets of Waterdeep, and that priest, would turn out to be Fzoul Chembryl. Now, scribes of Candlekeep, how would you save the PC?

As DM, it is important to create balanzed encounters. And, whenever there is an encounter too dificult for the players to handle, the DM should have prepared one or two backup plans. In the above case, the player should get one, or maybe two, chances to get saved. Either by his own acting, the interference of another NPC, or another external event.

For example, Fzoul Chembryl says something like "Do you know who I am? Probably not. I am <Fzoul Chembryl | appropiate skill check>, and I am too busy to waist time on you.". Now, as DM, we could be nice and say "Fzoul Chembryl", or require the player to do a skill check (Knowledge local <region>). We could add, with the voice of Fzoul Chembryl, something like "Beg for your life, and begone!" and expect that the player makes his role-playing stuff. You get the picture?

However, if I create an "encounter" with a Banite, then it would not be with F.C. And, if I have little time to prepare the encounter, my goal (encounter) would be pretty simple: Let the players know that even Banites move around in a city as Waterdeep, and if they try to follow the priest, they would loose track of him. Otherwise I have to create a lot more off stuff, and leave the main-plot.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:04:36  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree CrennenFaerieBane.

Still, imagine the case if one of the PCs, say a 1st-level cleric of Lathander would, challenge a priest of Bane in the streets of Waterdeep, and that priest, would turn out to be Fzoul Chembryl. Now, scribes of Candlekeep, how would you save the PC?

As DM, it is important to create balanzed encounters. And, whenever there is an encounter too dificult for the players to handle, the DM should have prepared one or two backup plans. In the above case, the player should get one, or maybe two, chances to get saved. Either by his own acting, the interference of another NPC, or another external event.

For example, Fzoul Chembryl says something like "Do you know who I am? Probably not. I am <Fzoul Chembryl | appropiate skill check>, and I am too busy to waist time on you.". Now, as DM, we could be nice and say "Fzoul Chembryl", or require the player to do a skill check (Knowledge local <region>). We could add, with the voice of Fzoul Chembryl, something like "Beg for your life, and begone!" and expect that the player makes his role-playing stuff. You get the picture?

However, if I create an "encounter" with a Banite, then it would not be with F.C. And, if I have little time to prepare the encounter, my goal (encounter) would be pretty simple: Let the players know that even Banites move around in a city as Waterdeep, and if they try to follow the priest, they would loose track of him. Otherwise I have to create a lot more off stuff, and leave the main-plot.

Well, what you could do to avoid the whole situation is just explain to your PCs some of the wonders what they see when they entered the City of Splendors. You could desribe it as so: "Once you've passed the guards at the city gate who at the same time looked bored, but vigilant, you enter what has to be the most cosmopolitan city you've ever seen. Just in your walk from the southern gate, you've passed caravans of Calishites, Tethyrians, and even some Mulan. As you continue towards the heart of the city, you see a potpurri of souls, including priests of every religion (yes, even Bane and Loviatar). And while their evil may bother you, you realize it is this mix that helps make this city as beautiful and as special as it is."

What do you think? That way, if the PCs encounter a priest of Bane, you've already head them off at the pass by telling them you've noticed other "evil" priests and clerics before.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:17:40  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, that is what I think of your description.

Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  18:06:08  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell you what...

I'd LOVE to play a Cleric of Bane and have some Lathanderite come up to me in Waterdeep and try to attack me.

I can see the conversation now:

"Halt in the name of Lathander Baneite!"

"Begone whelpling of the pitifull sun-godling. I have matters of great import to attend to, and have no time to deal with your drivel.."

"Never dark perversion of an even darker god! I shall fight you here and now, so that evil shall not prevail and the LIGHT of all that is good shall smite thee!"

"Well, well, well....I see you have drawn your weapon sun-mote...therefore it is only prudent I seek to defend myself...so..GUARDS! GUARDS! This fanatic of Lathander is attacking me! I demand you arrest him for an attempt upon my life...or, at the very least an attempt upon my person. As you can clearly see, the feral boy has murder in his eyes and even now grasps his weapon...."

After all, what better wat to use tyranny than to use the established order to deal with your enemies....and then laughing as the guard deals with the Lathanderite.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  01:53:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAKKIR

I tell you what...

I'd LOVE to play a Cleric of Bane and have some Lathanderite come up to me in Waterdeep and try to attack me.

I can see the conversation now:

"Halt in the name of Lathander Baneite!"

"Begone whelpling of the pitifull sun-godling. I have matters of great import to attend to, and have no time to deal with your drivel.."

"Never dark perversion of an even darker god! I shall fight you here and now, so that evil shall not prevail and the LIGHT of all that is good shall smite thee!"

"Well, well, well....I see you have drawn your weapon sun-mote...therefore it is only prudent I seek to defend myself...so..GUARDS! GUARDS! This fanatic of Lathander is attacking me! I demand you arrest him for an attempt upon my life...or, at the very least an attempt upon my person. As you can clearly see, the feral boy has murder in his eyes and even now grasps his weapon...."

After all, what better wat to use tyranny than to use the established order to deal with your enemies....and then laughing as the guard deals with the Lathanderite.

I like it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000