Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Banite in Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  18:04:16  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A new player is joining my current campaign (evil PCs), he wants to play a Cleric of Bane, even knowing that the campaign is based in Waterdeep (The idea behind it is the return of the shadow thieves).

With not so much time to come with an idea of why he's near, I decided that he was aboard a ship coming from Mintar to do some trade along the Sword Coast... a shipwrek during a big storm explain everything :P (I know that it is cliché, but the guy was already at the table, waiting!)

Wearing his full plate marked by Bane's symbol, etc, etc.. I think he would not be too much well welcome in the City of Splendors.. but does he would just be looked in a awfull way or more?

The party has already a drow using an hat of disguise using her alter self ability.. but a Banite would not disguise himself to appear innoncent.. Bane is the god of Fear afterall..

Thanks for help.

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  18:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why dont you give the hostilities of the Purple Dragons a nodge down and thus make som interesting openings for cool RPG. He should of course be reminded time and time again that he isnt welcome and that he is being watched but not directly chased to the gate. This creates some possibilities for small occurences within the major plot. I have used it alot myself. It works and gives the players an idea of the world they live in. Plus it can confuse them if they think that everything you throw at them have something to do with the main adventure.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  18:21:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

A new player is joining my current campaign (evil PCs), he wants to play a Cleric of Bane, even knowing that the campaign is based in Waterdeep (The idea behind it is the return of the shadow thieves).

With not so much time to come with an idea of why he's near, I decided that he was aboard a ship coming from Mintar to do some trade along the Sword Coast... a shipwrek during a big storm explain everything :P (I know that it is cliché, but the guy was already at the table, waiting!)

Wearing his full plate marked by Bane's symbol, etc, etc.. I think he would not be too much well welcome in the City of Splendors.. but does he would just be looked in a awfull way or more?

The party has already a drow using an hat of disguise using her alter self ability.. but a Banite would not disguise himself to appear innoncent.. Bane is the god of Fear afterall..

Thanks for help.

From my understanding, I don't think a good many people dig on Bane too much. And if he is openly wearing his symbol, he might have to beware the wrath of the clergy of the good aligned deities like Lathander, Mystra, etc.

I would have someone suggest to him that tyranny and fear can be produced in two ways: openly, and behind someone's ear. He could work for the aims of Bane while operating within the law but converting some members or twisting some minds of nobles (perhaps stealing the Loviatar worshipers, etc.).

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  19:12:14  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Skeptic,

I had a similar question, but about a follower or priest of Cyric. My thoughts were weather the guards at the city gates would let the person enter or not. Or, if they would imprison or even kill the person.

The answer I got, and one that I also share, is that the person would be allowed to enter to the city. However, I believe that the following can also be applied:

- The guards first thought may be that the character is an emissar from some country or city. Based on that, they attempt to get appropiate information.
- The guards warn the character: "Do not do any stupid thing know ... Maybe, you have come to the wrong city ... this is not Skullport, you know."
- Agents of good lurk (follows) the character. The character might detect that.
- Priests of CG faiths and alignment might decide to kill the character. Maybe, they challenge the character to a duel. Maybe, the first challenge is done by a 1st-level NPC. The second by a 3rd-level, then a 5th-level, and so on. The character will be forced to go undercover, leave the city, or finally die.

I cannot remember that a priest of Bane would not go undercover. Maybe, the character should be wise enough to just hide his symbol. He could always be a zealot, and scream high every 10 feets "Bane rules! Bane rock! Come to me and save your pity soul!" It is better, if the character has some kind of orders from superiors. Orders that would force the character to have a low profile.

Best regards,
webmanus

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Edited by - webmanus on 03 Aug 2005 19:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  19:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely think the city watch would be keeping a close eye on him, in case he causes trouble. As far as the general public is concerned, would they even recognize the symbol of Bane? There's so many gods in the Realms, for for PCs and NPCs I always require a knowledge religion check to recognize a god's symbol. I've had player charaters who would not have recognized the symbol of Bane if they saw it, so I can't imagine that every NPC would immediately recognize the symbol and know he worships an evil god.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  21:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I agree with most of the posters above. I think the banite would be allowed to enter the city, and the watch would certainly keep an eye open for trouble.

An open cleric of Bane in Waterdeeps (and I bet there are several) opens a few interesting adventure opportunities:

1) The Harpers (and other do-gooders) would assume that the cleric is a ruse, to draw attention from the real banite plot in the city.
2) Commoners and other "neutral" would shy away from the cleric. Banites are dangerous folks after all.
3) Evil folks would seek the cleric out, wanting to trick him to make mistakes, form alliances. They too would assume that the cleric is a ruse to draw attention away from the realm Bane plot (oh this is fun).
4) The Banite would be blamed for every bad that happens. It would be easy for other groups to cast the blame on the banite. If the cleric are easily angered, he can easily become somebody elses dupe.

... so this can be very fun, or very frustrating, or both, if you choose to. The player is asking for trouble, which is a good thing, but the trick is to keep it fun

Sounds like a fun character. Keep us posted.

Edited by - Snotlord on 03 Aug 2005 21:55:16
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  21:59:19  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beatiful Snotlord! I had also issue 1) in mind, but, issue 4) is too good!

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:07:24  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all these ideas, 4) is very good :)

I'm still asking myself if a cleric of Bane can go operate in a city like Waterdeep undercover and follow his dogma. Some of you think cleary think that in this the case, but I'm not convinced yet.

The player's will play him in this style if I say him that it is not again'st the Bane dogma of course ;)

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:11:01  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will reread the entry of Bane in my FR AD&D accessory Faith & Avatars. I do not have the FR D&D accessory Faiths & Pantheons. Do you have any of those books?

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still asking myself if a cleric of Bane can go operate in a city like Waterdeep undercover and follow his dogma.

Yes, absolutely. Bane is all about getting the job done, and in a city like Waterdeep you need to be subtle get results. Some Banite would obviously march in, pick fights and kick do-gooder-butt with the Dark Lords approval. Others should choose a more subtle approach to win more lasting victories. Both are correct play IMO. Its simply a matter of taste and style. Bane probably needs both types of clerics to create the sort of church he wants.

Edited by - Snotlord on 03 Aug 2005 22:25:02
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:30:46  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The replies to this post is so good, that I had to create the following post to discuss the reverse situation:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4876

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  00:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are at least 3 references to CLerics of Bane in and around Waterdeep

1)Theres a Cleric of Bane serving in Xanthars thieves guild (CoS)

2) The latest Undermoutain article: Room 10 on the WOTC website has made mention of clerics of Bane founding a Temple some where in Undermoutain

3) The Old Undermountain box set has a Crypt or abondoned church on the first or second level of Undermoutain

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  01:07:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If he came by ship from Mintar, it's quite clear they've built a huge canal without anyone noticing. Mintar (where the Banites are in control) is a town on the eastern border of Tethyr.

Mintarn is an island off the Sword Coast.

You can take a ship from Mintarn to Waterdeep, but not from Mintar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  01:19:24  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't look at my 3E map of the realms, but on 2E FR Electronic Atlas, Mintar is on the shore of the Lake of Steam.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  01:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

If he came by ship from Mintar, it's quite clear they've built a huge canal without anyone noticing. Mintar (where the Banites are in control) is a town on the eastern border of Tethyr.

Mintarn is an island off the Sword Coast.

You can take a ship from Mintarn to Waterdeep, but not from Mintar.

-- George Krashos

Umm George Mintar is on the Lake of Steam the town map in FRDRA even shows the town having docks. I think your confusing Mintar with Kzeltar which is landlocked and also controled by Banites

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  01:59:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

3) The Old Undermountain box set has a Crypt or abondoned church on the first or second level of Undermoutain
It's on the first level .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  02:25:27  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My player's will definetly hate you, now I have a pretty good way to make them explore undermoutain a bit
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  13:03:09  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Skeptic,

I have now reread the Bane section, in the AD&D Forgotten Realms accessory Faiths & Avatars.

The following is written in page 38, in the section of the church of Bane:

"Priests of Bane prided themselfs on cold, decisive thought, speech, and action. Sarcasm and cutting authority were valued over shouting, lss of temper, or uncontrolled bevaiour."

In addition, I found the following in the same page, in the Day-to-Day Activities entry:

"The faithful were to work subtly and patiently -- but tiressly -- to bring members of the faith to power in every guild, village, town, court, war band, fellowship, realm, and society."

And, maybe, the most important part, is the Adventuring Garb entry in page 39:

"Neither group would wear such gear in public if it would expose them to persecution or hamper their service to their deity."

Best regards,
webmanus

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  13:51:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll explain him that carefully, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  15:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, I'll explain him that carefully, thanks.

...and pass up a chance to give some interesting role-playing encounters with frantic Lathanderites, worried cityguard captains and so on? Maybe the player *wants* to get into trouble?

Playing a short-tempered evil cleric is almost as classic as the dumb barbarian. I've played a couple of not-so-bright thieves, and have enjoyed it immensely.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  15:57:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the group working as "unofficial" agents of the Shadow thieves, he would be dead before getting a new level ;)
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cleric of Bane would be accepted in the city. Even with his garb freely shown. The guards would not turn him away.

For instance, groups of Lovitar worshippers walk through the Plinth regularly whipping themselves, each other, and chanting. And Cyric worshippers frequently "help" people have "accidents" and "fall off" the top of the Plinth in their worship. The trick is for them to get away before the watch gets there or have a valid ENOUGH excuse to make it look accidental. Such as "Brother Devon was such a devout member that he leaped to his death in order to serve the Dark-Sun in a more.....direct manner. Certainley his adherance to the faith will be missed by all mortal worshippers of the Dark Sun, and should stand as an example to us all..." sort of thing.

However, I tend to think that most people would notice the regalia of Bane and recognize it for what it is. I think most people in Waterdeep would just ignore it (maybe some might cross the street and walk on the other side) when the Baneite approached...but that's about it. Unless he started commiting Illegal acts, then the watch would step in. Or, if he was stupid enough to try and walk into a temple of a rival faith. Then he'd probably be shown the door at first...and if he refused to leave the temple staff would deal with him.

Of course, just because the watch isin't necessarily following him OBVIOUSLY (they might have someone watching on the sly) it doesn't mean that other people won't watch him...force grey, red-sashes, harpers, etc. Plus, he may learn over time that his regalia makes achieving his goals difficult.

And I don't think anyone would have any problem recognizing's Bane's symbol. He was a MAJOR Diety in FR and was around for a LONG time. In one of the books it is stated that something like 15 nations declared national holiday's on the anniversary of Bane's death. So, as you can see, it's not like nobody knows about him.

And I'm sure there are already a TON of Baneites in Waterdeep. Remember, that for every actual priest...there are how MANY lay worshippers.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  01:05:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, trust me to rely on my shaky memory. On with the discussion fellows and leave this old Realms grumbler to his fantasies!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000