Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Capitals and borders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  16:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if any of you know of an excisting map of Faerun where the national borders and capitals are marked... The individual nations are described in the setting and also shown with borders, but arent there a map of Faerun with all borders and capitals highlighted?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:03:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well acording to Ed of Greenwood there are not many clearly defined borders that they tend to borderlands that might be under some incrusions of two or more nations or apparently consider wilderness. Because of this I do not believe that there can be an official map of borders. As for capitals highligted differently then other cities within a nation I seem to recall seeing some regional maps that do this.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... Just bothered me when playing that i only had some vague guidelines to give to my players. Capitals especially would be incredible to know of... Please let me know if anybody comes across anything helpfull...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:14:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't the pull out map in the FRCS book have the capitals clearly marked? If not, I know the 4 part map series in Dragon has the majority of known capitals pegged. Also, the book names each captial so you could always mark the map yourself as to where the capital is.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:22:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I was wondering if any of you know of an excisting map of Faerun where the national borders and capitals are marked... The individual nations are described in the setting and also shown with borders, but arent there a map of Faerun with all borders and capitals highlighted?

I don't think there's any borders more specific than "between this peak and that one", or "along this river", or "for as far as a patrol can ride in a day".

I think clearly delineated borders are more of a modern invention.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2005 17:23:21
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:49:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - if you ever want an example of a confusing border, try understanding the Silver Marches border without having a map in front of you. My wife and I were a bit confused on our Honeymoon without the map right in front of us... darn mountainous region!!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  01:54:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I don't think there's any borders more specific than "between this peak and that one", or "along this river", or "for as far as a patrol can ride in a day".
I'd also add that most "borders" in the Realms really represent nothing more than what the ruler can effectively hold and protect with the forces he has at his command.

It would be illogical to state that you have definitive borders in such a place, when you also do not possess the military capability to secure or protect it should that region be violated by an outside element.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  07:08:37  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map that comes with the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2001) does not highlight capitals (nor borders). However, a "star" symbol is used to mark the capital, or an incircled star to mark a port capital. Please note that I differentiate between highlight, and mark. Thus, you cannot just take a quick look at the map and find countries and capitals; you need to take a closer look, and almost search for capitals, specially when your are looking at parts of Faerūn that you are not so familiar with. For example, if you are not familiar with the Moonsea, you could believe that it is one country having Zhentil Keep as the capital (an incircled star symbol). All other ports/city-states in the map are marked as either cities or ports.

I do understand what you, my fellow folks, write about borders (and then, as it seems, the definition/highlighting of strict borders). However, I think that "soft borders" should be showed in some maps, sometimes. Why? Well, I personally have all too often wondered how far from, for example, Shadowdale, a fellow that calls himself a Shadowdalian might live. Is it 1 mile from Shadowdale or maybe 2 miles, 4 miles, and so on.
I remember that I always thought that Daggerdale started north of the Dagger River. Then, when I bought Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, I got surprised to find a dwelling (Anathar's Dell) south of the river.
In the book A Grand Tour of the Realms, of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1996) box (a gray one), a kind of soft border is showed. For example, see page 29 for the Dalelands or page 43 for Cormyr. Similar borders can be seen in page 29 and 100 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2001).

I also think that the the area (in square miles) of a country should be stated in stats (among population, import, export, an so on), but, this is another issues and topic (post) ...

But, yes, I have never seen a full-color poster map with highlighhted capitals and borders.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Edited by - webmanus on 04 Aug 2005 08:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  07:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well page 100 and 101 of the FRC have Political borders

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:00:35  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 100 - 101, Political Boundaries.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000