Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Power of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  08:47:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Hey, have any of you all gone over how Sythillis' leadership score was calculated?

It looks like his number of followers was calculated using 37 as his score, which is 740 1st levels, which is then doubled by the Extra followers feat to get 1480. Why isn't it 52 like it says in the book? None of these are follower specific, i.e. castle, power etc...

I am assuming that this is 25 plus his commander rating (7) and his decoration bonus (+5), which adds to 37. but not including the +15 for his influence.

The +4 for the rulership feat, and the +1 to his leadership score are calculated into the 25 total for leadership.

He has the right number of total feats which is 9, but why doesn't he have the Epic Leadership feat? That would give him way more followers he would have a +34 base, then +17 for his rank and decorations and then a +15 for his influence for a grand total of +66, which would give him 7200 first level followers. I'm guessing they didn't want to use anything from the epic level handbook. Or am I just adding things up wrong?

Ok let me think about this, the second one Daelegoth, just uses the modifiers in the book, i.e. +2 for bishop, -2 for heretic, +1 for speaker, +3 influence for a +29 which is the number of followers they give him. So this one make sense.

Those all HURT my poor brain when I look at them.

Eyes... bleeding... the pain. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  14:03:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

PoF has arrived

*drool*

As did mine... Yay! Only time to have a quick look before I headed off to the library.

First sections I glanced through... Border Kingdoms (obviously ) and parts of the "Play the Market" chapter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  14:10:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually... looking through the "Play the Market" chapter... I noticed Ed's work on the TRADEBARS subsection matches almost exactly with a reply of his from '04 on March 23.

Ed? THO?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, have any of you all gone over how Sythillis' leadership score was calculated?

It looks like his number of followers was calculated using 37 as his score, which is 740 1st levels, which is then doubled by the Extra followers feat to get 1480. Why isn't it 52 like it says in the book? None of these are follower specific, i.e. castle, power etc...

I am assuming that this is 25 plus his commander rating (7) and his decoration bonus (+5), which adds to 37. but not including the +15 for his influence.

The +4 for the rulership feat, and the +1 to his leadership score are calculated into the 25 total for leadership.

He has the right number of total feats which is 9, but why doesn't he have the Epic Leadership feat? That would give him way more followers he would have a +34 base, then +17 for his rank and decorations and then a +15 for his influence for a grand total of +66, which would give him 7200 first level followers. I'm guessing they didn't want to use anything from the epic level handbook. Or am I just adding things up wrong?

Ok let me think about this, the second one Daelegoth, just uses the modifiers in the book, i.e. +2 for bishop, -2 for heretic, +1 for speaker, +3 influence for a +29 which is the number of followers they give him. So this one make sense.

I'll get back to you on this after I have a time to work through it again.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  17:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- Thanks, I know you like some crunch with your fluff, like me, so I figured it wouldn't be a burden. Thats actually the thing I love about the book, and to me its true originality, that some of these things are being codified. Like I said somewhere, how many DM-Player arguments have these things engendered, i.e. Player- He would join me, DM- No he wouldn't, yes he would etc.... Roleplaying is great but grey area's cause alot of Bickerments.

For the rest, sorry to burden you with some math, but sometimes I wonder, how do you guys balance your checkbooks? :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  17:55:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually... looking through the "Play the Market" chapter... I noticed Ed's work on the TRADEBARS subsection matches almost exactly with a reply of his from '04 on March 23.

Ed? THO?

I noticed that as well and I thought it was kinda cool. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  18:07:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ed? THO?

I've noticed that in several places.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  19:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Including the list of diseases on p. 94, which reminds me of one I posted here a while back...

It's good to see this stuff make it into print relatively unchanged. Good, too, to see the word 'Zhentilar'.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed? THO?

*chuckle*

The 13 point plan for becoming a Waterdeep Noble in the Order in the Court Chapter looks awefully familar to

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  23:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Umm, just what do you mean by "ignoring DMs and the gameworld in a game specific book"? If I assume you mean the progression of plot points raised in previous game products (like LOI), then that comment doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, with all due respect. From the very first FR gaming product the Realms has moved and turned and 'happened' in game products. Sure, the novels in recent times have been the major timeline and plot 'pushers' but so have the game products. Every single one has included "storyline advancements". Why shouldn't PoF?

Of course it makes "a heck of a lot of sense", thankyouverymuch.

I agree with you that (some) FR gaming products have always done this - and it continues to be a bad thing, IMO. (I did mention that I'm probably in the minority with that feeling, you may note. And in any case, many FR products have mostly avoided that particular problem, including everything from Underdark to Unapproachable East to Lost Empires of Faerun and even most of Waterdeep, which all had very minor or pretty much non-existent plot advancements.)

And you do realize that I am perfectly entitled to not be too keen on that aspect of FR products, right? Right?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  23:44:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Ed? THO?

*chuckle*

The 13 point plan for becoming a Waterdeep Noble in the Order in the Court Chapter looks awefully familar to

Yeah, I actually opened the file and looked at it when I saw that section of the book.

Maybe Big Al should be getting some royalties, too, since that info first appeared on this site!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  00:54:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arnwyn
And you do realize that I am perfectly entitled to not be too keen on that aspect of FR products, right? Right?

Oh, absolutely. But considering it's been standard for most every FR product since 1987, you'd think you'd be used to it by now. Guess not.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  01:43:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ed? THO?

I've noticed that in several places.

Aye... as I've read through more of the sections inside... I'm beginning to realise this as well. 'Tis neat... Neat I say .

It feels like we had a preview of the PoF material before the tome was even published .

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Mar 2006 01:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  06:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- One more crunchy question.

In the Mobilization section under Armies. When you up the percentages are those increases based on the current troop levels, i.e. +10% recruitment in an army of 100 is +10 troops, or is that a you can recruit up to +10% of the total population of the kingdom?

Probably the former but I am not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  16:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've got my hands on it, and I'm loving it. Skimmed it to start with, and now about halfway through. Personally I love the campaign advancements, and I've been waiting for some more juicy ideas for some time. The court and religion chapters particularly impressed me, and I enjoyed the return of Dabron Sashenstar.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  19:10:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noted a couple of other minor editorial gaffes here and there... Most are minor, but there's a couple more that are making me wonder. On page 100, under the timeline, the first paragraph has a reference to the Shattered Sword Band. That's the only reference to them I see -- the rest of the timeline mentions The Band of Falling Waters, and/or a member of that Band (and I think this is the first time I've seen adventuring groups called Bands instead of the Company of something).

Also, the map of Stormhawk Keep on page 97: there's references in the description to "X" marks on the map (such as in the description for rooms 4 and 14), but I'm not seeing the X marks...

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this book. I'm just a little surprised at this glitches, since most of the recent books have been a lot better that some of the eariler ones (we've had no repeats of the month of Ukta for a while!).

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  19:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Also, the map of Stormhawk Keep on page 97: there's references in the description to "X" marks on the map (such as in the description for rooms 4 and 14), but I'm not seeing the X marks...

I suspect those were notes Eric made, as the X marks are replaced on the finalized map by the difficult to depict(by amateur cartographers) symbol for an arrow slit of a small break in the wall. See page 3 of the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

Edited by - Arivia on 01 Apr 2006 22:31:13
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  22:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The term 'adventuring band' and names like 'Mane's Band' are both common.
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  23:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't got the book yet (GRRRRR). I understand there is a location detailed in Battledale - is there any new information offered on Lord Ilmeth or the Lord's Men that's not in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands/the FRCS/The Dalelands/Heirs of Prophecy?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  00:46:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. The location is one of the Ghost Holds - currently held by drow.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  01:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George. I assume it is the Auzkovyn drow?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  03:11:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, one of them. The Vhaerun-worshipping drow.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  05:15:24  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up this little gem and have been enjoying it a great deal. I have a strong urge now to play in a Border Kingdoms campaign of conquering and, well, more conquering. The religion section made me a little anxious about the future of my favorite realms deity (Lathander) but it was all very nicely put together, I think.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Answered (finally) over on the Ask Rich Baker thread on the WoTC boards where it was asked again.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  00:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I get it now, When a character takes a feat like leadership he automatically gets X number of followers.

Influence however is something that he can use to recruit specific people, change who is following him or influence others. I.e. if Sothillis' influence is +15 giving him an effective leadership score of 52, but if he wants more followers than he gets from 37 he has to activel recruit them.

Nice, kind of forces the PCs to be involved in the world around them.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  21:17:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my copy. While many things are second nature, it also made me just take a step back and relook at how I could have run some things. I REALLY like the fact that this book referred to rules in other books like the DMG2 and heroes of battle. Why? Because I myself glossed over those sections with both books and figured they would never be put to use in other products. Now that I see that they WILL be used in a canon product, maybe its worth looking over. I know that sounds odd, but over the years there's been so many mass combat, run a business, and ship to ship rules, etc... that you never see developed into the worlds. This makes me hope that when we see a merchant company, maybe we'll see some "stats" of some sort for them. Perhaps realmsian mercenary companies will be fleshed out in a more "heroes of battle" format.
I have to agree with Dargoth and other though... Unther is definitely an area drawing interest. Glad to see the Banites of Mourktar not forgotten, wondering how much Assuran of the Three Thunders will like their growth in power in what used to be his stomping ground. Then there's those death knights who battle the dracolich with their undead army nearby..... and didn't Eltab get attacked by a follower of Anhur wielding the sword Hadryllis?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  03:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Then there's those death knights who battle the dracolich with their undead army nearby..... and didn't Eltab get attacked by a follower of Anhur wielding the sword Hadryllis?

Those death knights and Eltab are connected by way of that dracolich; either Dreams of the Red Wizards or Champions of Ruin mentions a dracolich with the exact same name under Eltab's command being destroyed by that group of knights in about the same length of time that the dracolich and knights cycle.

EDIT: This is all from my recollection, which is about sapling-strong in a tornado right now.

Edited by - Arivia on 12 Apr 2006 03:20:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  06:39:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The history of Eltab, Hadryllis and the Castle of Al'hanar (not to mention the "Everlasting Wyrm") are linked by the mind and powers of one Eric Boyd and scattered through Powers & Pantheons, Champions of Ruin and ... well, that would be telling. Stay tuned fellows, more to come on this front.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  09:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The history of Eltab, Hadryllis and the Castle of Al'hanar (not to mention the "Everlasting Wyrm") are linked by the mind and powers of one Eric Boyd and scattered through Powers & Pantheons, Champions of Ruin and ... well, that would be telling. Stay tuned fellows, more to come on this front.

-- George Krashos

oo hidden source I didn't know about!

*moves Powers and Pantheons to the top of review pile*
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2006 :  15:51:24  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Thanks to the Faerunianization of the rules on Promotions and Decorations, and thanks for the additional rules on Leadership and all! These are now in use in my campaign!

I have one question though, and it perhaps relates more to Heroes of Battle than Power of Faerun, but I thought I'd ask you anyhow as you have an iron grasp on these rules by now and you can also perhaps add a Faerunian twist to it.

Basically, I have perceived a disconnect between the Victory points and Recognition points systems... I'm not sure I'm reading the rules properly, but they seem vague and unclear, and in fact, the latter system seems pretty independent from the former.

I'd like to somehow unite the two, or get a rule of thumb as to how to manage both, or even just get a reason as to why I should, as a DM, even track Victory points... As is, system only seems to be rewarding 'Maverick' or 'daring' actions by the PCs (Recognition points), and disregarding 'boring' actions such as properly leading forces, defending strategic locations, establishing supply lines (i.e. what is required to actually win the battle yields Victory points, which seems to yield no recognition points as far as I can tell...)

Let me know what you think... any help would be appreciated!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000