Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Greatest Villain Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3009 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  16:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Entreri all the way



I have never really viewed him as a true villain. Sure he has been an oppenent of Drizzt for a long time and has done some despicable things but I don't think that he is wholly evil. He is a very dark character who has partially damned himself but not completely - in my mind there is still a small chance of some redemption for him.

By the way I haven't yet managed to read the Transitions Trilogy or the Neverwinter Books as of yet, so if you feel the need to correct me try to not give too much away



I also have yet to read Transitions or Neverwinter. I have loved Entreri ever since he kidnapped Cattie-brie at the end of the Crystal Shard. I also really don't view him as a "villian" but maybe more of an anti-hero. Poe-tay-toe/ Poe-ta-toe maybe but he has always stood out for me. I would LOVE to see a trilogy dedicated to Entreri alone.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

133 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  04:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Entreri all the way



I have never really viewed him as a true villain. Sure he has been an oppenent of Drizzt for a long time and has done some despicable things but I don't think that he is wholly evil. He is a very dark character who has partially damned himself but not completely - in my mind there is still a small chance of some redemption for him.

By the way I haven't yet managed to read the Transitions Trilogy or the Neverwinter Books as of yet, so if you feel the need to correct me try to not give too much away



I also have yet to read Transitions or Neverwinter. I have loved Entreri ever since he kidnapped Cattie-brie at the end of the Crystal Shard. I also really don't view him as a "villian" but maybe more of an anti-hero. Poe-tay-toe/ Poe-ta-toe maybe but he has always stood out for me. I would LOVE to see a trilogy dedicated to Entreri alone.



As far as I remember Entreri makes no appearance in the Transitions trilogy. Having read Gauntlgrym, and ESPECIALLY having seen the cover of Neverwinter coming out in 2 months if you like Entreri or want to know his fate...I would suggest picking them up. I was thoroughly tired of the Drizzt saga after Transitions, but Gauntlgrym took it in a pleasant new direction, with hints at big things to come.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3009 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  14:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Entreri all the way



I have never really viewed him as a true villain. Sure he has been an oppenent of Drizzt for a long time and has done some despicable things but I don't think that he is wholly evil. He is a very dark character who has partially damned himself but not completely - in my mind there is still a small chance of some redemption for him.

By the way I haven't yet managed to read the Transitions Trilogy or the Neverwinter Books as of yet, so if you feel the need to correct me try to not give too much away



I also have yet to read Transitions or Neverwinter. I have loved Entreri ever since he kidnapped Cattie-brie at the end of the Crystal Shard. I also really don't view him as a "villian" but maybe more of an anti-hero. Poe-tay-toe/ Poe-ta-toe maybe but he has always stood out for me. I would LOVE to see a trilogy dedicated to Entreri alone.



As far as I remember Entreri makes no appearance in the Transitions trilogy. Having read Gauntlgrym, and ESPECIALLY having seen the cover of Neverwinter coming out in 2 months if you like Entreri or want to know his fate...I would suggest picking them up. I was thoroughly tired of the Drizzt saga after Transitions, but Gauntlgrym took it in a pleasant new direction, with hints at big things to come.



Both series are definitely on my reading list, just trying to catch up on some other series first

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  18:37:50  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Entreri all the way



I have never really viewed him as a true villain. Sure he has been an oppenent of Drizzt for a long time and has done some despicable things but I don't think that he is wholly evil. He is a very dark character who has partially damned himself but not completely - in my mind there is still a small chance of some redemption for him.

By the way I haven't yet managed to read the Transitions Trilogy or the Neverwinter Books as of yet, so if you feel the need to correct me try to not give too much away



I also have yet to read Transitions or Neverwinter. I have loved Entreri ever since he kidnapped Cattie-brie at the end of the Crystal Shard. I also really don't view him as a "villian" but maybe more of an anti-hero. Poe-tay-toe/ Poe-ta-toe maybe but he has always stood out for me. I would LOVE to see a trilogy dedicated to Entreri alone.



As far as I remember Entreri makes no appearance in the Transitions trilogy. Having read Gauntlgrym, and ESPECIALLY having seen the cover of Neverwinter coming out in 2 months if you like Entreri or want to know his fate...I would suggest picking them up. I was thoroughly tired of the Drizzt saga after Transitions, but Gauntlgrym took it in a pleasant new direction, with hints at big things to come.



Both series are definitely on my reading list, just trying to catch up on some other series first



Same here. So many books to read and so little time in my day. It's actually becoming a real challenge on what to read next and what to put in the 'to-read' pile.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3009 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  14:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Entreri all the way



I have never really viewed him as a true villain. Sure he has been an oppenent of Drizzt for a long time and has done some despicable things but I don't think that he is wholly evil. He is a very dark character who has partially damned himself but not completely - in my mind there is still a small chance of some redemption for him.

By the way I haven't yet managed to read the Transitions Trilogy or the Neverwinter Books as of yet, so if you feel the need to correct me try to not give too much away



I also have yet to read Transitions or Neverwinter. I have loved Entreri ever since he kidnapped Cattie-brie at the end of the Crystal Shard. I also really don't view him as a "villian" but maybe more of an anti-hero. Poe-tay-toe/ Poe-ta-toe maybe but he has always stood out for me. I would LOVE to see a trilogy dedicated to Entreri alone.



As far as I remember Entreri makes no appearance in the Transitions trilogy. Having read Gauntlgrym, and ESPECIALLY having seen the cover of Neverwinter coming out in 2 months if you like Entreri or want to know his fate...I would suggest picking them up. I was thoroughly tired of the Drizzt saga after Transitions, but Gauntlgrym took it in a pleasant new direction, with hints at big things to come.



Both series are definitely on my reading list, just trying to catch up on some other series first



Same here. So many books to read and so little time in my day. It's actually becoming a real challenge on what to read next and what to put in the 'to-read' pile.



I feel the same way. Currently i am halfway through the Haunted Lands trilogy and there are 3 or 4 different Realms series i want to read next. Decisions Decisions!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  05:04:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see the males far outnumber the females in the poll. Likely no fault of the OP, but, this just shows that the villainy of females is very much downplayed.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
116 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  19:48:31  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal faovorite was Ghost. I dont even know why, but he just had it. I only wish there would have been more written on him, than the puny part he played in Nighmasks.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  23:43:51  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Larloch

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  00:10:06  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My boy is smalltime compared to the options on the poll: King Obould Many-Arrows (from The Hunter's Blades/Transitions).

He united a largely chaotic mass into a coherent force, managed to match Drizzt in combat, and was wise enough to rise above his more bestial inclinations. I consider him a villain because of the frontiers' folk who were preyed upon by his armies. He is a sort of necessary villain.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
792 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  03:10:10  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Gotta be Larloch


Dunno if he can be considered a villain. He just sits in his keep conducting experiments confident that he could take any and everyone who bothers him in his home. Well, he does not really need to since he can just shoo his 60 servitor liches at them, or the high level vamps or other undead he has at his command.

But on a villain scale, he does not really bother anyone.

guys like Manshoon are much weaker, but he created an organization that is widespread and evil. Or the shades....Or Szass Tam, etc
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

354 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  16:37:01  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ghost" from The Cleric Quintet.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  16:52:26  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Gotta be Larloch


Dunno if he can be considered a villain. He just sits in his keep conducting experiments confident that he could take any and everyone who bothers him in his home. Well, he does not really need to since he can just shoo his 60 servitor liches at them, or the high level vamps or other undead he has at his command.

But on a villain scale, he does not really bother anyone.

guys like Manshoon are much weaker, but he created an organization that is widespread and evil. Or the shades....Or Szass Tam, etc



I see your point, but I happen to think he is working on something quite villainous and not looking to commit petty villain-ish deeds until unfolding his whole plan,

Or knowing Ed, Larloch could be spending eons trying to domesticate giant space hamsters for the benefit of all Faerun

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  09:37:29  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha those hamsters must have very big wheels...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.



Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  22:28:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So little love for Iakhovas? It's not that easy to rally the denizens of the seas and shake almost the entire Sword Coast. If only I could vote for more than once...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  07:53:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Szass Tam as he is the villain with the most grandiose dream of all.
Of course he doesn't consider himself a villain but then even the Emperor though that he was doing a good thing by wiping out the Jedi so that doesn't mean much.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  08:17:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I almost voted for him, but IMO, Telamont Tanthul surpassed him in many ways. Age, achievements, domain, spellcraft...

[If Smyther is still around, I hope he could change the spelling of Telemont to Telamont.]

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 27 Oct 2012 08:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:00:28  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose other, mainly because I believe Irenicus and Bhodi were very worthy villains. Irenicus and his quest for power and revenge, an elf straying so far from his roots. His sister seeking out vampires to prolong her life that was stolen with her elven heritage. Same as her brother.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answer."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

486 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  04:37:56  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


So little love for Iakhovas? It's not that easy to rally the denizens of the seas and shake almost the entire Sword Coast. If only I could vote for more than once...



He was a great villain, but he went out like a chump. I
think that some people don't fondly remember the Threat of the Sea books, and that causes him to get left out of these conversations.

My first inclination would be to choose Vhostym the Sojourner from the Erevis Cale books. However, Manshoon has always had a special place in my heart.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  15:50:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malkizid...he's been instrumental in the decline of the elves without ever being caught at it. That makes him a villain supreme.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

fylth
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  07:01:01  Show Profile  Visit fylth's Homepage Send fylth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with Szass Tam. The guy completely lost it in his bid for power. For someone willing to 'undo' the worlds and recreate them in his own liking, you have to be a truly evil villain. It kind of reminds me of Griffith from Berserk.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  12:10:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fylth
I would have to go with Szass Tam. The guy completely lost it in his bid for power. For someone willing to 'undo' the worlds and recreate them in his own liking, you have to be a truly evil villain. It kind of reminds me of Griffith from Berserk.
While I do like him, especially how Richard portrayed him in the Haunted Lands, I must say he's still relatively far behind the caliber of Larloch and the Sojourner. Note also that his Ritual of Unmaking didn't actually work. And while it would have probably nuked a big chunk of Faerun, there's no guarantee that it would indeed work, or that its caster would survive the effects of such immensely powerful ritual. A backlash might even render Szass Tam irreversibly mad as the ritual's original creator, Fastrin.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

486 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  02:17:26  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by fylth
I would have to go with Szass Tam. The guy completely lost it in his bid for power. For someone willing to 'undo' the worlds and recreate them in his own liking, you have to be a truly evil villain. It kind of reminds me of Griffith from Berserk.
While I do like him, especially how Richard portrayed him in the Haunted Lands, I must say he's still relatively far behind the caliber of Larloch and the Sojourner. Note also that his Ritual of Unmaking didn't actually work. And while it would have probably nuked a big chunk of Faerun, there's no guarantee that it would indeed work, or that its caster would survive the effects of such immensely powerful ritual. A backlash might even render Szass Tam irreversibly mad as the ritual's original creator, Fastrin.



Yeah, but what you mentioned has nothing to do with Tam being below Larloch. The Ritual of Unmaking is one of those things that sounds too good to be true. I sorely doubt that Larloch could complete it either.

Personally, I think that taking over Thay alone puts Tam in the conversation for the most successful villain. Speaking of which, I would have preferred that the Eminence of Araunt remain to serve as a check to Thayan interests.

#1 is probably Telamont though. Granted, his son being Shar's chosen advanced his empire a great deal. But hey, he worked with what he had until he made his kingdom arguably the most powerful in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  23:03:41  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Telamont, although my vote almost went to Szass Tam.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Senior Scribe

999 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  19:24:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No contest, Shar, she's a greater Goddess, so she has the power. Her actions lead to the rise of the Shade Empire and its horrors, she tried to destroy the whole world, she's corrupted and killed verious Gods, not the least of which was helping in the Murder of Mystria which lead to the devistation and choas of the Spellplague, she tried to temp Elminister, and this is just the tip of the Iceberg for Shar's evils. I mean the greatest and biggest evil divine domain, the Towers of Night were created by her, the Towers of Night are bigger then the hells and the hells are as big as Toril, but with layers, so that should give you an idea of how big that plane of darkness and horrors really is.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Senior Scribe

999 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  19:40:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telmont is no more a villian then Obama or George W. Bush. Everything Telmont does is for his people. Undead armies vs. Drone Strikes that kill civilians more often then not. Shadow Magic vs. Cluster bombs.

Telmont is just trying to enact Shade's manifest destiny. He has scarificed much for his people. He worked hard to save as many of his people as possible.

Just some perpective.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000