Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alaundo's severed head
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  02:38:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, so this idea may be non-viable, because my Planescape lore is limited...

But what if the skull is somewhere on the planes? A powerful Sensate grabbed it, and has been using it to experience things before they happen -- or maybe even experiencing possible futures that won't happen.

I can certainly see that. The Society of Sensation would probably retain an active interested in the potential of using the skull for their "Sensation Halls" -- selling possible future experiences to any and all bloods from across the planes.

If there's one faction that would have a definite interest in the skull though, then it would be the Fraternity of Order. I don't think they would be able to easily dismiss the benefits the skull's powerful divinatory abilities would have for their work in learning about the dark of the multiverse.

They may have even hired PCs to travel to Toril and "acquire" it (by any means necessary) from whoever currently has possession of it -- another possible adventure hook involving both my two favorite settings, FR and PS .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  03:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundos Skull
Major Artifact

The Skull was orginally part of the body of reknown Faerunian Seer Alaundo who was rumoured to be a Chosen of the god Savras (God of Divination). Alaundo prophecied many significant events that have occured in Faerun history, the most well known is the Roll of Year's. After Alaundos death his body was interned in a Crypt beneath the Libary of Candlekeep. At some point after Alaundos burial someone broke into the Crypt and stole Alaundos skull it has not been seen since. This major artifact sort by many groups including the Mindflayers of Ornydoll, the Scribes of Candlekeep and the Clergy of the newly ressurected church of Savras.

The Skull of Alaundo grants oinly one power but it is a power only wielded by the Gods

Once per month a person may cast a Speak with dead spell on Alaundos skull which gives them access to Portfolio Sense: Divination

Portfolio Sense: Divination

The caster gains knowledge of any events in the next month that will effect one thousand people or more. Being privy to this knowledge has a down side, anyone who attempts to use the skull must make a Will save DC 35. Those who fail their saves are struck down with "Savras Wrath" or "Knowledge fever" which reduces the victims Inteligence and Wisdom to 1, this can only be reversed with a properly worded wish spell.

What do you think Scribes?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  05:25:36  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I think the only "gods can use" part might be a little restricting.

Also, how about adding that the knowledge would come in some kind of cryptic poem or riddle? After all, almost all of Alaundo's prophecies were like that.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Also, how about adding that the knowledge would come in some kind of cryptic poem or riddle? After all, almost all of Alaundo's prophecies were like that.

The artifact can be used by anyone the effect the artifact mimics is only found it deities

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  13:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it appears that the power of divination granted by the artifact can only be wielded by the gods themselves, it seems that mortals that attempt to wield it must pay a heavy price for it. It seems Tymora's favor is needed when using the skull.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  13:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

So it appears that the power of divination granted by the artifact can only be wielded by the gods themselves, it seems that mortals that attempt to wield it must pay a heavy price for it. It seems Tymora's favor is needed when using the skull.

As it should its granting user a godlike power for a limited period of time

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  13:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

As it should its granting user a godlike power for a limited period of time

But with a very dear price.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  14:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the Major Artifacts have a down side the Eye and Hand of Vecna for example require the character using it to remove their own eye or hand.

I remember in FR1 Waterdeep and the North theres a Sunite artifact which could cast a Heal spells, it had the down side of 1% chance every time it was used that the artifact would teleport the wielder to the Sunes home plane (Which would pretty much remove a character from play)

Down sides for Major artifacts are quite common

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  18:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they just want to lick the bowl
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  12:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Lick the bowl? Hmm, sounds like they want to test the power without wanting to owe the artifact or surrender something in exchange for that power.

Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  14:30:57  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Lick the bowl?

Since they eat brains, and skulls hold brians...kinda like a bowl....and since they want the skull......
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  17:31:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.

Thats IF Alaundo CAN be resurrected

Savras spent a great deal of time trapped in an artifact and if Azuth had trapped Savras in the artifact before Alaundo died then there wouldnt be anyone their to take Alaundo to the afterlife on Savras home plane. So its possable that Alaundo ended up being branded one of the false by Jergal or Mykrul and ended up in the Wall of the false

Just my personal take on this, but while Azuth had Savras trapped, I picture this more as he was unable to act against other deities or grant special favors to his followers. I picture him still being able to grant spells to his priests, have his servants gather the souls of the dead, etc.... In fact, his work through Alaundo may have been a subtle attempt by him to work against Azuth's bindings IF we know that Alaundo was around while Savras was bound (of which, do we have dates?).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2017 :  13:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Could you tell me source of any other Alaundo's prophecies? I haven't found any.
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2017 :  16:36:35  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Maybe they would resurrect Alaundo from his skull and then eat his brain to assimilate his knowledge and divinatory distinctiveness into their ilithid elder brain.

Thats IF Alaundo CAN be resurrected

Savras spent a great deal of time trapped in an artifact and if Azuth had trapped Savras in the artifact before Alaundo died then there wouldnt be anyone their to take Alaundo to the afterlife on Savras home plane. So its possable that Alaundo ended up being branded one of the false by Jergal or Mykrul and ended up in the Wall of the false

Could he be reincarnated instead?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000