Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Adama?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone shed some light on the Adama? From the minute bit of info in the FRCS and Shining South, it's my understanding that the Adama is basically an ideal that is "worshipped" in The Golden Waters region. The requirements of the Hand of the Adama prestige class in Shining South includes the Adama as patron deity, but I can find no mention of the Adama aside from the very brief mentions in the FRCS and Shining South.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:36:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what Thomas M Reid had to say about this aspect of the Hand of the Adama class -

quote:
Though the patron deity of the prestige class is listed as "The Adama," the truth of the matter is that the Adama is not a deity in and of itself. It is simply a way of life, a set of principles by which to live. Thus, you really have two choices. Most often, clerics of the faith will still venerate a specific deity (almost always one of the five main "aspects" with an appropriate alignment--LG or LN, as stated in the Requirements section of the entry) in addition to his belief in the tenets of the Adama. Alternatively, the cleric can be treated as a cleric with no patron deity (as described in the Player's Handbook).

This second option flies in the face of what's stated in the FRCS, I realize, and very few characters will start out that way (since most folks will want the added benefits of a selected patron deity when creating their cleric characters), but it would be, IMO, the truest or purest form of belief in the Adama.

Does that help?

Thomas M Reid

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, this directly contradicts what is presented in FRCS. I recall (Page 93 methinks) where it specifically states that no cleric in the realms can derive their spells/abilities from a concept as the dieties are given direct hand in the lands. *Shrug*
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Here's what Thomas M Reid had to say about this aspect of the Hand of the Adama class -

quote:
Though the patron deity of the prestige class is listed as "The Adama," the truth of the matter is that the Adama is not a deity in and of itself. It is simply a way of life, a set of principles by which to live. Thus, you really have two choices. Most often, clerics of the faith will still venerate a specific deity (almost always one of the five main "aspects" with an appropriate alignment--LG or LN, as stated in the Requirements section of the entry) in addition to his belief in the tenets of the Adama. Alternatively, the cleric can be treated as a cleric with no patron deity (as described in the Player's Handbook).

This second option flies in the face of what's stated in the FRCS, I realize, and very few characters will start out that way (since most folks will want the added benefits of a selected patron deity when creating their cleric characters), but it would be, IMO, the truest or purest form of belief in the Adama.

Does that help?

Thomas M Reid

Thanks Sage, I was thinking along those lines, since the PGtF listed some preferred deities for the region, but this cleared up the crunchy part of it for me. I wouldn't want to see this pop up all over Faerun or anything, but I am rather liking the concept of the Adama.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

Actually, this directly contradicts what is presented in FRCS. I recall (Page 93 methinks) where it specifically states that no cleric in the realms can derive their spells/abilities from a concept as the dieties are given direct hand in the lands. *Shrug*

Hence the part of my comments that states: "This second option flies in the face of what's stated in the FRCS, I realize . . ." I pitched it purely as an optional possibility for DMs to consider; it's more of a roleplaying issue than a mechanics issue. The concept of the Adama was brought forward from the 2E product and doesn't fit in with the 3E mechanics very well, but I wanted to stay true to the cultural flavor of the region and left it largely intact for that reason. Most people will still pick a patron deity that also happens to be part of the Adama and leave it at that.

Thomas

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  21:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

Hence the part of my comments that states: "This second option flies in the face of what's stated in the FRCS, I realize . . ." I pitched it purely as an optional possibility for DMs to consider; it's more of a roleplaying issue than a mechanics issue. The concept of the Adama was brought forward from the 2E product and doesn't fit in with the 3E mechanics very well, but I wanted to stay true to the cultural flavor of the region and left it largely intact for that reason. Most people will still pick a patron deity that also happens to be part of the Adama and leave it at that.

Thomas

Thomas

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

Thomas

Thomas

So, are certain deities part of the Adama? Or could any lawful good/neutral deity be considered part of it?

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  14:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
So, are certain deities part of the Adama? Or could any lawful good/neutral deity be considered part of it?

Check out the Religion section on pg. 116 in Shining South, specifically the second and third paragraphs. For the purposes of game mechanics (and specifically requirements for the Hand of the Adama PrC), the Adama includes Zionel (Gond), Curna (Oghma), Lucha (Selune), Torm, and Waukeen.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  00:07:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An option that occurs to me: handle the Adama like the elven tripartite deity Angharradh. The Adama could be a singular deity combining aspects of Gond, Oghma, Selūne, Torm, and Waukeen, even though those deities also exist as discrete entities.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  03:06:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

An option that occurs to me: handle the Adama like the elven tripartite deity Angharradh. The Adama could be a singular deity combining aspects of Gond, Oghma, Selūne, Torm, and Waukeen, even though those deities also exist as discrete entities.

Expanding on deity-based ideas for the Adama, you could also suggest that a more lawful and good-aligned version of the Xammux (from the BoVD) is actually the source what comprises the spiritual force of the Adama.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be all about knowledge either, but rather the search for spiritual enlightenment.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  09:37:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Reid,

ego pręcipio tibi, resurrecturos!

Even though I believe you are not active on here anymore, I'll make the effort as I would love your input on this if you wouldn't mind good sir! :)

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23690

It's all about the Adama. I would like your input on the validity of my argument.

Best regards!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000