Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Meteorites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  03:39:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver vs lycanthropes
Iron vs fey
Cold iron vs demons
Meteoric iron vs space aliens?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  04:13:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Silver vs lycanthropes
Iron vs fey
Cold iron vs demons

Call it Star Iron, aliens makes some sense, that though can include dimensional traveler I would think.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  06:06:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

You know, I think that is heading in the right direction. I think the idea of meteoric iron being usable against Far Realm creatures would be awesome. I mean, with it being so unusual, a very rare item against things like that would be invaluable!

Best regards,

quote:

Silver vs lycanthropes
Iron vs fey
Cold iron vs demons

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  06:09:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Kentinal,

You know, after I read your post it made me think: what if Star Iron didn't change as it went from one plane to another? If it was magic in the Realms, it would be on Earth? That one, super unique item that transcends all, and is commensurately rare.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Silver vs lycanthropes
Iron vs fey
Cold iron vs demons

Call it Star Iron, aliens makes some sense, that though can include dimensional traveler I would think.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  02:44:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are items which retain their material and magical properties across most worlds and planes.

A sword of the planes ... of course.
Githyanki silver swords (made of hammered astral, alchemically tempered in a psionically-powered "silver forge").
A cubic gate (made of stuff mixed from six distinct worlds/planes, same properties in each of these six place but cannot exist elsewhere).

A problem with material which works the same everywhere in the (D&D) cosmos is that there are too many mutually destructive opposites. There are always practical limits. And everywhere you go there's always some sort of local material which works even better for local needs.

Why would star metal be a particular allergy/vulnerability to aberrations from the Far Realms? It has no planar affinity, not even on Primes (or Wildspace or Phlogiston) where it originates.
If anything it should be useful vs creatures which live away from the stars (ie; planetary surfaces, on the ground or under the ground). I could see star metal being good for making something like a holy sword, for example - because of exposure to aeons of radiant starlight while it drifted through the celestial heavens - not because it's a metal with some intrinsic property vs unholy extraplanars.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  07:00:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

Oh, it was just an idea being throw out. With so little known about the Far Realms as is, I figured it might be able to have some twist thrown in with that metal having random effects, or consistent, on those Far Realm creatures since everything is so bizarre with them.

Best regards,

quote:

There are items which retain their material and magical properties across most worlds and planes.

A sword of the planes ... of course.
Githyanki silver swords (made of hammered astral, alchemically tempered in a psionically-powered "silver forge").
A cubic gate (made of stuff mixed from six distinct worlds/planes, same properties in each of these six place but cannot exist elsewhere).

A problem with material which works the same everywhere in the (D&D) cosmos is that there are too many mutually destructive opposites. There are always practical limits. And everywhere you go there's always some sort of local material which works even better for local needs.

Why would star metal be a particular allergy/vulnerability to aberrations from the Far Realms? It has no planar affinity, not even on Primes (or Wildspace or Phlogiston) where it originates.
If anything it should be useful vs creatures which live away from the stars (ie; planetary surfaces, on the ground or under the ground). I could see star metal being good for making something like a holy sword, for example - because of exposure to aeons of radiant starlight while it drifted through the celestial heavens - not because it's a metal with some intrinsic property vs unholy extraplanars.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  16:41:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]
Meteorites are pieces of Realmspace's crystal sphere cracking and chipping and hurtling off through the void until they sometimes impact in Faerūn. Why is the crystal sphere decaying and how can it be fixed? Go boldly forth, young adventurers!
[...]
That sound about right?

No, that part is silly. Spheres don't work this way (or there won't be many left ). They are unaffected by anything up to spheres of annihilation and suchlike.

Also, there already are rocks in wildspace.
Even whole ecosystems on and around them. Including the meteorspawn - gigantic critters built around a pun on "meteorism" (as in, they graze on asteroid stone and occasionally use, ahem, solid waste for propulsion and self-defence, each pellet being equivalent of a heavy catapult shot).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

Yeah, I agree on the Spelljammer stuff.

I really wish it would have just been a universe with the regular things in it and you have to figure it out.

Alas, that never happened, and never will. :(

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]
Meteorites are pieces of Realmspace's crystal sphere cracking and chipping and hurtling off through the void until they sometimes impact in Faerūn. Why is the crystal sphere decaying and how can it be fixed? Go boldly forth, young adventurers!
[...]
That sound about right?

No, that part is silly. Spheres don't work this way (or there won't be many left ). They are unaffected by anything up to spheres of annihilation and suchlike.

Also, there already are rocks in wildspace.
Even whole ecosystems on and around them. Including the meteorspawn - gigantic critters built around a pun on "meteorism" (as in, they graze on asteroid stone and occasionally use, ahem, solid waste for propulsion and self-defence, each pellet being equivalent of a heavy catapult shot).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  23:05:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]

[ MATTERS OF FAITH ]
Meteorites are from the Tears of Selūne, which occasionally fall down to Faerūn, either at the inscrutable whim of a god or the nudge of the giant and terrible Sky Dragons that 'everyone knows' fly around up there in the void.

[ DND SCIENCE~! ]
The sun of Realmspace is a giant gate to the plane of elemental fire; when the borders between the planes of elemental fire and elemental earth (or quasi-elemental minerals) sometimes blur, the sun burps forth meteors which then sometimes crash into Toril.

[ I GOT YER EPIC CAMPAIGN RIGHT HERE ]
Meteorites were summoned in fell ritual in the ancient Days Before Record, by archmages of the vast and fallen empire of your choosing, to strike at their foes. Such powers are now lost to mortals, which is why all meteor strikes and starmetal deposits in Faerūn are hundreds or thousands of years old. Look out, it seems someone has re-discovered the methods of those terrible summonings!

That sound about right?

While I had thought about many of these in the past (even the part of the sphere "modifying")… I have to say I never thought of the sun producing them via the portals... and I like that idea. I've wondered in the past if the king killer star isn't a spin off from the whole original sundering thing (and since it didn't collapse to Toril in the Tearfall, does it have some heretofore unknown "draconic" nature in/on/or part of it that enabled the dracorage mythal) .

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  01:05:58  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No, that part is silly. Spheres don't work this way (or there won't be many left ).

Why yes, it does sound like an awesome campaign hook. (how else do you top SJA4 and SJS1-SJQ1?)
quote:
They are unaffected by anything up to spheres of annihilation and suchlike.

Well....
quote:
Originally posted by SJR2 Realmspace, p.2
The surface...is completely immune to nearly every known damage, attack, or spell. Nothing known in the universe can begin to tear or crack it.

That nearly is doing some real curious things there. Even if you read it as a reference to the create portal spells and items affecting it, it still leaves the door open for a whole lot of other "damage, attack, or spell" ideas. Plus, last time I checked, horrors from the Far Realm were not part of this universe.

quote:
Also on p.2
A feature unique to Realmspace is the hundreds of millions of glyphs and wards that cover the inside lining of the crystal sphere....When read, even if merely by thought, the magic stored in these writings is invoked.

Alright, which one of you wise guys are standing there read magic-ing the runes for meteor swarm and meteor strike?

quote:

Already a better movie than Cowboys & Aliens.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 27 Feb 2020 05:16:59
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  01:44:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Yeah, it sounds cool, until your mind just doesn't get along with the crystal sphere/phlogiston deal.

I have it setup in my campaign world (not canon here) with a regular solar system, etc. with the H'Catha as sort of a 'Mos Eisley' with more than just the beholders there. There are wizardly factions (again non-canon) there that work to control dangerous objects in the solar system from making collisions. :)

I like it better than the sun idea (no offense).

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]

[ MATTERS OF FAITH ]
Meteorites are from the Tears of Selūne, which occasionally fall down to Faerūn, either at the inscrutable whim of a god or the nudge of the giant and terrible Sky Dragons that 'everyone knows' fly around up there in the void.

[ DND SCIENCE~! ]
The sun of Realmspace is a giant gate to the plane of elemental fire; when the borders between the planes of elemental fire and elemental earth (or quasi-elemental minerals) sometimes blur, the sun burps forth meteors which then sometimes crash into Toril.

[ I GOT YER EPIC CAMPAIGN RIGHT HERE ]
Meteorites were summoned in fell ritual in the ancient Days Before Record, by archmages of the vast and fallen empire of your choosing, to strike at their foes. Such powers are now lost to mortals, which is why all meteor strikes and starmetal deposits in Faerūn are hundreds or thousands of years old. Look out, it seems someone has re-discovered the methods of those terrible summonings!

That sound about right?

While I had thought about many of these in the past (even the part of the sphere "modifying")… I have to say I never thought of the sun producing them via the portals... and I like that idea. I've wondered in the past if the king killer star isn't a spin off from the whole original sundering thing (and since it didn't collapse to Toril in the Tearfall, does it have some heretofore unknown "draconic" nature in/on/or part of it that enabled the dracorage mythal) .

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 27 Feb 2020 05:28:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  11:50:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master TBeholder,

I really wish it would have just been a universe with the regular things in it and you have to figure it out.

They couldn't make it a regular universe because of Krynn -- when constellations change, disappear, reappear, and all that, it causes huge issues unless there's something other than the standard setup in place.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  20:47:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Fair enough. That makes sense.

Geez...I would love it if they would just bite the bullet and make the change. They could even blame the good ole days of TSR if they wanted a scapegoat and say....it's time to get it all onboard.

Alas, I know that won't happen, but here is to hopin'! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master TBeholder,

They couldn't make it a regular universe because of Krynn -- when constellations change, disappear, reappear, and all that, it causes huge issues unless there's something other than the standard setup in place.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000